Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectPaladin call lighting
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=74422
74422, Paladin call lighting
Posted by A concern paladin on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
for as long as i can remember, my paladins have been able to call lightning in any weather conditions.

recently it’s started failing based on weather...

did something change?
74433, Correction.
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
First, the 'bad' news: Call Lightning currently works as designed/intended.

It turns out I indirectly fixed CL recently while addressing some new compiler warnings. In this case, the affected code (outside the spell itself) was not properly gating some code around an edge like it should have.

I thought I posted something on the bug board for all of the cases that were likely to have gameplay implications, but evidently I missed one.

Note: this had/has nothing to do with Paladins but rather CL in general.
74435, Would you consider..
Posted by Lhydia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
changing it back?

There isn't a tonnage of call lightning kills as is and requiring another edge just to maintain some semblance of 'going to back to how things used to be' is bleh. Edges are already beat down enough with classes that require a number of them to compete.
74431, What room did you get it recently?
Posted by Ranil on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I bug boarded this yesterday, but I saw the same message about the weather and thought it was weird, so I looked through logs and found that is was only in one specific room every time I saw it. For others that have seen it, did it happen to be the redhorn gate? Wondering if it is less a change to the commune overall and more something unique to that room, maybe around the time of the crack there being altered or something like that.
74432, Nevermind - seems like it is all over the place now.
Posted by Ranil on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Before I had only seen it in the one room, now I am seeing it all over the place.
74424, RE: Paladin call lighting
>
74425, RE: Paladin call lighting
Doesn't really change the fact that if call lightning is now relying on weather it has been changed recently.
74426, RE: Paladin call lighting
Call lightning has been dependent on proper "weather conditions" (caveat: there's an edge for that) since late 2011.
74427, RE: Paladin call lighting
That's not true though. Paladin call lightning has not depended on weather for forever, unless it's a recent change. Maybe it was a change because of a different change and it just kicked in, but that doesn't change the fact it hasn't been weather dependent.

The edge literally only changed the damage type to holy.
74428, Dunno.
Not a single other line of code in spell_call_lightning has changed in the past few years.

If someone things there's a bug at play they can report it and we'll take a look.
74429, RE: Dunno.
Okay thanks. Not trying to be argumentative just saying it was explained that paladin call lightning has always been holy and not weather based. I think I brought this up when the edge came out but was told it only changed damage to divine. Sounds like something just got 'fixed' if the original intent was to have it weather based.
74430, Before that.
Posted by Java on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I have logs as far back as 2008 of call lightning failing due to weather. Echo was "The weather is not bad enough for lightning." Also found a couple that said "It is too cold for lightning.", so.. yeah.

Haven't found any logs after 2011 with those echoes though besides very recently, but most of mine are on a different computer so I'll check later.

Possible it was a bug that happened to make it no longer affected by weather, that was inadvertently fixed recently?
74423, RE: Paladin call lighting
I discussed this forever ago and the stance was 'paladins dont require weather because they are smiting with holy power', not sure if it has changed though. If it has its another nail in the paladin coffin.