Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectPits and Reboots
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=74246
74246, Pits and Reboots
Posted by CuriousTraveller on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I feel this is reasonable to post so a healthy discussion can be had and others don't befall my fate.

Having been recently informed that I was abusing a bug placing items in a pit before a reboot.

I am seeking clarification on what the go is here:
- Obviously things can be placed in pits
- Obviously things stay in pits between reboots

So what can one do and not do, and if it is a bug what do others need to do to avoid the same fate until the bug can be fixed.
74253, For the sake of clarity
"Befall my fate" => ROTD / Slayed and purged

All items in the pit between reboot were non-limited.

All limited equipment was carried by me has it had been through the multiple reboots/logins/logouts prior.
74257, So uh...
Posted by Lhydia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Did you put things in a pit with one character and get them out with a different character?

That would probably be appropriate. Otherwise I'm not buying the story.
74247, RE: Pits and Reboots
Posted by Jhyrbian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
how dare you use something as it's designed, you should know better
74249, RE: Pits and Reboots
Posted by lasentia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Why would you need to use a pit to put gear into between reboots?

Makes me think the purpose of putting gear into a pit right before a reboot is not for something that is intended. Like a sub 11 hoarding something limited that would otherwise poof.
74250, RE: Pits and Reboots
If the gear was going to poof between reboots it likely would have had a rot flag set on it by then anyway.

Regardless none of the gear was limited so that’s a mute point.
74251, Pits were changed intentionally...
Posted by Lhydia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
...to hold gear past reboots. People put keys, gear, and all sorts of things in there. This isn’t a bug and it’s several years old. What is the full story? Even a lowbie dropping limited gear in a pit is still not a bug. Either we don’t have the whole story or an imm(?) is enforcing an incorrect opinion.

Edited because it may have just been a clueless player since he didn’t specify it was an imm.
74252, RE: Pits were changed intentionally...
Posted by Bemused on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
There must be more to it. There is nothing in the rules stating you cannot put stuff in a pit regardless of whether a reboot was imminent. What "bug" exists regarding pits? Surely they've been working "as designed" for the past 25 years.

Pretty sure Imms have better things to do that try and catch people placing items in pits. I'd love to hear the full story because this sounds nefarious.