Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectWhat's your favorite race?
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=73660
73660, What's your favorite race?
Posted by Shandae on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I've always been partial to Gnomes and Elves. I like all the practices for gnomes and I'm a sucker for seeing an entire skill list of 100%'s heh. What's your go to and why?
73681, Drow, then any race with sneak or quiet movement
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Unless I have word of recall in my class abilities or a wand.

Because I detest chase triggers/aliases.

Drow over elf for more pk freedom.
73682, You think everyone uses triggers
Posted by Bemused on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You clearly lack the ability to decipher who uses them and who doesn't.
73687, You clearly lack the ability to distinguish everyone from some people
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I die far less often when someone can't just hit a key to dash murder me.

Also I've seen evidence of triggers in logs from my enemies' perspectives, like where they attempt an opening attack on me each time I walk in and out of the room even though they are held by a fillet.

They are used enough that it makes a difference. I also know a lot of people escape me because I don't use pursuit triggers or aliases.
73678, Fire giant for me
Posted by robdarken_ on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Because they can be anti-paladins, and therefore mages. Sure, Giant rangers can cast some spells, but anti-paladins have sleeks and are clearly more magey. I think some of the latest anti-paladin spells come from more of a pact with evil outsiders, but a non-mage couldn't handle them, and the lot of them are pure magic anyway.

I always found it appealing that one of the very dimmest races, even among the giants, can brute force their way through the doors to some of the most powerful magic around, and overcome their obvious limitations with sheer willpower.

Even the most heroic Fire Giants have an INT score approximating only the human average, but they are capable of being wise. A level one Fire Giant is something like 100 years-old, so I like to imagine the best of them learn a lot in that time, the hard way, with hundreds of years left to experience.

I like to think that this experience, their personal intensity, and that the anti-paladin class almost mirrors them philosophically is what allows them to claw out their place as the only real Giant mages.

There's a place for really intellectual, or sneakier anti-paladins, but I feel the class would be thematically poorer without Fire Giants. And if my character is going to be smart I'd rather just be a necromancer.
73688, RE: Fire giant for me
That was very thorough, thank you for the look through your lens. Well spoken.
73677, RE: What's your favorite race?
Posted by Ergush on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I like a race that I can manually put in a language change. Dwarf, Orc, Gobbys, felar(who would have guessed!), fire giant, cloud giant, etc.

I find that having to think about a specific way to type makes more get more immersed in the RP for that character. While i Have tried to add an "accent" to humans and other characters, I never seem to stick with them.

73671, Halfies, cause I'm an idiot. (n/t)
Posted by Onewingedangel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Nothing
73665, Any elf, but mostly W-Elf
Posted by lasentia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Can't argue with 23 int, 24 dex, 22 Chr and acute vision.
Acute vision alone is really pretty great. I do wish they had perma sneak like the other elves, but oh well.

High elves for 25 int, and swiftstrike. Perma sneak is nice too. Resist curse is just a little extra bonus.

And dark elves are also nice for the 24/24, but I find faerie fire lacking compared to swiftstrike. And there are no d-elf bards. I do think d-elf lends itself to the best RP arcs though, compared to the others, but I never could play evils well.

73664, RE: What's your favorite race?
Posted by Illanthos on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I used to play a lot of arials before the int nerf.

I like theorycrafting (but rarely playing) felar.

For RP I enjoy elves and fire giants.
73663, RE: What's your favorite race?
Posted by Jhyrbian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
#stormgiantmasterrace
73666, But for why? n/t
n/t
73667, RE: But for why?
because I dunno any other races with near immunity to an element, physical resist are giant sized and have no vulns.
73668, Don't forget call lightning inherent and highest giant int.. and request n/t
Posted by Lhydia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
gr
73669, RE: Don't forget call lightning inherent and highest gi...
the question really should be, why doesn't everyone play storm giants?
73670, RE: Don't forget call lightning inherent and highest gi...
Excellent answer heh. I was legitimately asking why not being a sarcastic jerk lol. I'll have to try one some day. I've never played a single giant.
73672, RE: Don't forget call lightning inherent and highest gi...
yea it's cool, I, on the otherhand, am a sarcastic jerk. but yea, #stormgiantmasterrace
73676, Because align.
Posted by Jormyr on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Would probably be my #1 reason. You mean to tell me murdering people for their shinies is BAD?? WTF is wrong with you!?

Secondly, I swear Neppy said once that they have among the worst stat setups due to the generally exponential scaling of stats. IE: Anything storm can do, someone else is better at, so you're pretty much a human with some awesome resists.
73662, Orcs.
Posted by Ishuli on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I like the others, but Orcs are just the best.
73673, Hey!
You can't call orcs, everyone knows they're my favorite! Get your own race!

I mean...I guess after that, I'm a sucker for anything unique and different. Might be why I play Frost Giants and Centaurs, too.

I do play a simply ridiculous number of aerials, too. 25 Dex, permafly, 3 pracs per level, 1 prac per skill, reasonable con and str still? Deal.
73674, Do you still do 1 prac per skill with 22 int?
Posted by rex spangler on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I don't think I'd have the patience for that, but I've never tried.
73675, RE: Do you still do 1 prac per skill with 22 int?
Heh. I do one prac for half my skills with orc 16 int :p

So yeah, unless it's stuff that I know is super hard to improve or hard to practice up, once. Sword, enhanced damage, wall of fire, blindness 1'll do fine. Something like maybe...defenses, riposte, maybe flurry, maybe the invoker cloud spells, PW:K, leech unholy blessing or such would be more likely 2.

Gotta get those extra like 5hp in trains! Or save to restore con...which is probably necessary because I only have like 60% in 2nd attack...but hey, feels good.

I just get my highs off the "You have become better at X!"
73679, RE: Do you still do 1 prac per skill with 22 int?
how much soloing do you do or do you just drag down groups with your chars that have 30% skills?
73691, Bit of both
These characters were often during my days of 12am-3am playing, so watching the skill improvements gave me something to do and happy-times, but those hours if someone wanted a group, no-one ever complains who they get. You notice the difference, but also skills go up pretty quick so most of these would be 60-70 quickly. From there, it's not so "drag down".
73661, Felar
Posted by JohnEveryMan on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
One of the dumber (mechanically) races. But enough wis for 3 pracs per level. The high HP and good natural
melee make them very easy to play, I honestly can't think of a better newb/noob friendly combo than felar assassin.

Beyond mechanics they have a great history and racial quirks but aren't completely locked into any stereotypes.

My second favourite is SAURIANS. Whenever they get implemented
Fingers crossed.