Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectUmiron! Is this fake news?
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=73406
73406, Umiron! Is this fake news?
Posted by Lhydia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
giant flourintine was downgraded

The Forsaken(VIP) < PM >

enough to make it obvious

they still have flurry, but, i wouldn't make another giant sword spec unless it was battle or uber-set

--------------

Has flourentine for giants changed in any way in the last few years?
73409, RE: Umiron! Is this fake news?
Posted by Dallevian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

Tuning down Parry a bit:
- The penalty for parrying especially heavy weapons has been increased in cases where the defender's weapon is much lighter than the attacker's weapon.
- The 'natural' (unarmed) attacks of very powerful (large in size, high in level) NPCs are slightly harder to parry with lightweight weapons.
- Polearms in general are harder to parry with one-handed swords, axes, and maces
- Flourintine has been reduced in efficacy
(2/20/15) - It is slightly harder to parry with a weapon that is significantly higher level than you.

http://forums.carrionfields.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=47&topic_id=127&mesg_id=127&listing_type=search

i think there was another post somewhere by Daevryn mentioning that this downgrade mostly impacted giants. i'll try to find it.
73410, Well ####. Thanks.
That does make giant warrior seem terrible.
73407, RE: Umiron! Is this fake news?
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I didn't go very deep down the rabbit hole, but I assume this is what Mr. Forsaken is referring to:

Revision 1.272 2015-02-08 20:02:45 valguarnera
Round One of Armor Use changes. Armor Use skills have a larger effect, slight situational downward tweaks to Dodge/Parry/Block to compensate.

I read that as Valg clipped a couple points off flourintine (across the board) that was meant to be compensated for a boost in armor use effectiveness.
73408, Thanks
So does this mean if you're wearing a lot of metal armor you will parry/dodge less?
73411, No
Posted by jalbrin on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
From my reading of it, armor skills got a boost. So wearing a lot of appropriate armor for your class would be a benefit after this change regardless of race or class.

On the flip side, to balance this, Valg dropped effectiveness for, like, everything else. Parry, dodge, shield block.

It was a "add needed action defecate" type of situation where he was annoyed mages were wearing heavy plate armor.

So *all* defenses had their effectiveness cut down on the assumption that people would wear the armor their class is "supposed" to wear and benefit from the increased utility in those particular skills.

Damn, Valg, I actually liked you as an Imp but was it really so necessary to be all 4D chess with us all? I don't remember this change even being announced.
73412, So is the theory..
If my warrior is using heavy armor or light armor in all slots I will tank equally to how I was tanking before the change? Because light and heavy armor use do not actually fire that often. I wonder what the factors are. I just played a duergar who kept Dern gear the whole time and I very rarely saw armor blocks in PK. It fired against npc’s a bit, but not against other players with good gear.
73413, From what I understand
Posted by Beroxxus on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
From what I understand, the AC of the item plays a role in determining the deflection as well as the location of the strike. Since NPCs don't have skills like Aim and Precise Aim, it is more effective against them. Also Hit Roll helps bypass Armor Deflection. Also the type of attack matters. Something that does a slashing attack striking at armor with a high slash AC is more likely to be turned away.

I thought I read at some point that it is better to match up armor then to have separate types. Ie all Heavy Armor or all Light Armor. I could be wrong there.
73414, So perhaps if you’re a dumb giant
Posted by TJHuron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
And worked your ass off to perfect flourintine it might appear to suck more because you are stupid and the armor skills take longer to raise. Could that be it? Just guessing. I forget how long it takes to perfect those skills.
73415, RE: So perhaps if you’re a dumb giant
Posted by robdarken_ on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I hope it's not too different from before. I like giant sword. That said flourintine isn't a skill that's hard to perfect. Flurry and riposte take ages (used to be worse when 15 int didn't learn like 18 int).

Giant sword always kinda tanked for #### (but not #### for a giant), which means struggling with people who tank well, at least if you want to seal the kill (if not by all means flurry away). If they got even a little worse at it than they were before, it would probably make them much less viable.

#### tanking aside, I experienced them as still good for bash and run PK, it's very hard to lock you down, you lock down others very easily, and you only gotta get lucky with the bash+ripostes once before you can flurry that dex dagger warrior down without him ever making a move. You might lose melees with equally prepped dex warriors most of the time, but the difference is they're bashed when it goes bad and you aren't.