Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectJust a friendly comment on the way out the door
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=72850
72850, Just a friendly comment on the way out the door
Posted by Saevus on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Please don't be a$$h0les.

I died last night to a mob in an out of the way place that I wasn't sure how to get back to. No one had been in the area while I was exploring and I thought it would be tough for anyone else to wander in. So I waited for my corpse to decay.

And it was missing all of my decent gear, which was minimal. No tell, no interaction, just someone being a jerk and taking all of my race-specific gear and the only 2 high level weapons I had acquired none of which I was going to be able to get back anytime soon.

It effectively ruined the character and the game for me because who wants to put up with a$$h0les when they are playing for fun? There's enough of them in real life to have to deal with.

It's a great way to get people to leave the game, like I'm going to.

72875, This bums me out...
Posted by Wasted on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I have no idea where this mentality came from where people are so terrified of losing their virtual possessions, but it never used to be this way.

Sure, it sucks... But then it gives you new goals of killing mobs/players to amass gear again, and the cycle continues. That's how its always been and I'm not sure where the entitlement to come back to a full set of gear after every death came from, but it's not how the game is designed to be played. Gear is nice to have, but I've never been entirely gear-driven-- it actually makes me play more conservatively, which isn't as fun for me usually.

I've had ridiculously stacked chars that would kill other players and not even look in the corpses because I knew there were no improvements to be made to my sweet set and on the off-times, I'd sit there and type "EQ" and "who" because I had no gear to run around looking for or anything. Having stacked gear actually makes for a more dull experience than being hungry for gear.

I'm not going to insult you like some of these other guys, but just take a few to cool down and look at it from a less jaded standpoint and you'll see that your reaction is a bit dramatic here... Gear comes and goes, man!
72890, I have to add
Posted by IrishMidnight on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
CF should be treated like the setting of some larger improve production where you and everyone else are the actors working off-script most of the time.

The take away then is cliche but - "acting is reacting". I can nearly gaurantee another could have assisted you in locating those items, which not only could have opened the doors to more interaction, but perhaps a path of either vengeance, forgiveness or anything in-between.

Pulling the plug in almost any scenario isn't an IC choice as much as just the player alone.
72867, Last word then I'll stop trying.
I was one of the first players when this game started years ago (literally, I think I was like the 3rd or 4th character created when the game opened). I've had a lot of different characters over the years up to a level 59 immortal back when Thera was still young.

I took a long break from the game and came back recently just to see how things were. And I had enough fun to hero one character, start over with a couple of new ideas and take them up, and then started up Saevus (Latin for wild) with an idea to try a combination I hadn't done.

This was thread was just a comment to let current players know that what happened was enough to ruin my experience for that one character and convince me to take another extended break from the game. As I said, in a world with a lot of options, choosing to spend some of my limited time with people who seem to be intentionally being jerks isn't worthwhile.

I suspect I'm not the only one. That's the only message I was really trying to get across. There's only 5 people on -- why be an asshole to one of them for no discernible role-playing reason? Just because you can? Seems a bit sad.

So long.
72868, Which imm?
Posted by Lhydia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Someone wanted your gear because they wanted your gear. What is the problem? I kinda wish it was me and I don’t even know what gear you had.

>I was one of the first players when this game started years
>ago (literally, I think I was like the 3rd or 4th character
>created when the game opened). I've had a lot of different
>characters over the years up to a level 59 immortal back when
>Thera was still young.
>
>I took a long break from the game and came back recently just
>to see how things were. And I had enough fun to hero one
>character, start over with a couple of new ideas and take them
>up, and then started up Saevus (Latin for wild) with an idea
>to try a combination I hadn't done.
>
>This was thread was just a comment to let current players know
>that what happened was enough to ruin my experience for that
>one character and convince me to take another extended break
>from the game. As I said, in a world with a lot of options,
>choosing to spend some of my limited time with people who seem
>to be intentionally being jerks isn't worthwhile.
>
>I suspect I'm not the only one. That's the only message I was
>really trying to get across. There's only 5 people on -- why
>be an asshole to one of them for no discernible role-playing
>reason? Just because you can? Seems a bit sad.
>
>So long.
>
72869, I know this is late to the party
Posted by Destuvius on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Work and kids has kept me busy. One thing that you keep going back to is there was no RP, no interaction involved when some random dude snagged your stuff. My question to you is if you had gotten a tell from random orc saying "Thanks for be dumb dumb, me eat meow steak and wear guts with armor." Would that be a positive experience to you? The end result would have been the same (you losing items) but you would have been getting mocked by the RP interaction (which seems to be your concern that it wasn't there).

Personally, I'd rather just lose the items and move on without having to hear about how lame I am for mob dying by some lowbie who happened to be going past.
72871, I'd like to have known who to be pissed at.
This wasn't in a place where a lowbie was going to wander past. I was a 38 felar caverndweller beastmaster in one of the regions in the Underdark. I had detect invis up and no one was in the area. I hadn't interacted (ever) with anyone who was currently online.

So someone fairly high level made a special effort to find my corpse and take the only really decent gear I had even though they couldn't use much, if any of it. And made no effort to "teach me a lesson", or threaten me, or say they needed it to strengthen the whatever. It was just someone consciously deciding to be an asshole toward someone else. If I had a reason why I had been looted, at least I'd have a goal to work towards or a grudge to keep. As it was, I was just pissed off and wasn't going to be able to keep character so I deleted. The whole purpose of this game is supposed to be role-playing, after all.

P.S. just replying out of respect for an Imm question. I don't plan on replying to anyone else. I've said my piece.
72872, Okay jumping on board the ‘a mob looted’ or ‘chromatic fire ate it’.
There are mobs that take gear in CF. It is your responsibility to role play with them. Mobs are sometimes also called NPC’s or ‘non player characters’. These are AI and typically do not RP well independently with players. This is a real thing on CF which means you probably can’t handle CF.

And everything everyone said about gear limits is true. Especially with limited gear. It will literally poof if you die.

>This wasn't in a place where a lowbie was going to wander
>past. I was a 38 felar caverndweller beastmaster in one of the
>regions in the Underdark. I had detect invis up and no one was
>in the area. I hadn't interacted (ever) with anyone who was
>currently online.
>
>So someone fairly high level made a special effort to find my
>corpse and take the only really decent gear I had even though
>they couldn't use much, if any of it. And made no effort to
>"teach me a lesson", or threaten me, or say they needed it to
>strengthen the whatever. It was just someone consciously
>deciding to be an asshole toward someone else. If I had a
>reason why I had been looted, at least I'd have a goal to work
>towards or a grudge to keep. As it was, I was just pissed off
>and wasn't going to be able to keep character so I deleted.
>The whole purpose of this game is supposed to be role-playing,
>after all.
>
>P.S. just replying out of respect for an Imm question. I don't
>plan on replying to anyone else. I've said my piece.
72874, RE: I'd like to have known who to be pissed at.
Posted by robdarken_ on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I'm a big fat baby change my diapey
72870, If you played back then...
Posted by Saagkri on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You were used to nothing being in your corpse. People would:

Get all corpse
drop 1.
sac 1.
!
!
!
!
etc.

And if they didn't, a lowbie would loot it as there was no corpse guard and even if there was, no one would stay to guard your corpse.

So, things have changed a lot. At least you still had pies.
72888, So I tested this
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
And right now, quite a bit of stuff is going to in chromatic flames. Meaning it poofs when you die.
72861, I hope you didn't die to a certain demon in Talshidar
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Because well, he loots ppl when he kills them.
72853, RE: Just a friendly comment on the way out the door
1. Are you sure the items didn't poof because they were over their max? The maximum number of a limited item varies according to various factors (let's pretend one is number of characters over level 30). So if that number drops, then it can reduce the max number of the item in the game. Then when someone with that item dies, the mud checks to see whether there are too many such items and makes it go up in smoke if it is. So no one being an asshole in this situation.

2. Some areas the mobs loot stuff. Our certain kinds of stuff.

3. Were you potentially disarmed before you died?

4. In fairness, if someone can use the gear, they probably will loot and that's fine even if it sucks for you.
72851, Might not have been a PC
Posted by Bemused on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You haven't given enough info regarding the death for me to determine who looted. So it is possible your angst is misdirected.

Regardless, if you came across a corpse and saw 'decent' gear and it was within your role to take it, would you? I sure as hell would.
72852, Also..
Posted by Reality on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Could have easily been someone noticed his gear, noticed his current exploration, and put a mob in his path to kill him so he can loot.

My suggestion as you walk out the door is for you not to get so attached to gear, or don't play a class dependent on certain gear (yours wasn't).

People are going to kill you. You won't always see it coming. When you die all of your things are potentially forfeited. When you get back to your corpse if there is anything in it someone did you a favor by not taking it. Your perspective should be 'oh good, I still have things'. That is how I got over being looted heavy.

But really I'm just happy this isn't a snot bubble filled IMM rant. I've seen players do some actual terrible things that would run off new players. Looting, even taking 5 good items, isn't really one of them. If this guy leaves over this, then this game really isn't for him to begin with. It's a PK mud where you don't necessarily get to keep your gear if you die.
72854, RE: Also..
Generally it shouldn't be possible to put a mob in his path to kill him without cheating. Imms have steadily removed the legit ways of doing it.

Mobs that auto attack (even if just certain races or classes) are meant to be non summonable, and quitting out to leave an aggro mob you got to track you, in someone else's path, with the intention of killing them, is cheating.
72863, BZZZZT
There are plenty of mobs you can use to kill people without quitting, but you sure do have the mindset of a convicted cheater.
72855, RE: Also..
Thanks for missing the point.

There was no role playing involved -- someone simply vultured a corpse and took things that couldn't be replaced anytime soon. I'm perfectly okay with losing things in a role-playing context -- a fight that was lost, cabal politics, etc. In those cases you know why and how to work out retribution.

This was just someone being a jerk. You can try to excuse the behavior however you choose to but the result is one less person interested in playing a game with seriously diminished numbers.

And maybe it is just me, but I don't loot corpses I wasn't involved with killing no matter what's in them. Even when I do kill someone, I seldom take more than 1 or 2 things because I don't want to ruin the game for them. The idea is to keep people around so you have someone to interact with.
72856, Are you sure the items weren’t over limit?
Posted by Homard on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Also were you visible the whole time? If I find your corpse and you’re not on who I’m taking stuff for sure.
72858, If you find a $20 on the street
Posted by lasentia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Would you just leave it there?
Yes, unless I just murdered the guy.
That's a pretty ridiculous view of things. The dead hold no property rights, so it is no longer yours once you die. The corpse decay sort of does put a wrench in that RP logic though, as does lotting a corpse being against the law. (I think)

The looting of a corpse in a random area is a part of CF. And it unfortunately should be expected when you die in any sort of area with high traffic, or if some lowbie knows you are there.

lowbies can and do have a very annoying effect in a way, because there are more than a few players who make a point of trying to vulture hero corpses. Lowbie thieves are notorious for this, cause you won't even know they are there just hoping you screw up. It's the same reason when you are killing a mob for a piece of gear, you turn on autoloot.
72865, RE: If you find a $20 on the street
That's not a great analogy. It'd be more like finding a wallet with an ID and contact information along with the money. Are you going to keep the money and throw the wallet in the trash? Or are you going to contact them to try and return their stuff? Think about how you would want to be treated in their place.

Random stuff laying around on the ground is one thing, heck that's how I outfit my lowbies. But you know exactly who the stuff in the corpse belongs to (with the whole re-incarnation thing). Whether you decide to take it depends on how much of a jerk you intend to be towards them. Since this is just a game, I try to remember that there are other people on the other end of the character and don't screw them over just because I can.

72859, And if there was a necro online...
They can locate PC corpses and will frequently do so when someone dies. That spell doesn't exist so they can pay their last respects to the fallen.
72860, What was this irreplaceable gear?
You're deleted. I never understand why people keep relevant info from posts like these as if they still play the char in question. WHat area were you in?
72862, The irony here...
I’m pretty sure I gave you four of the items you are talking about just because you were the only felar on at the time when I got the items. There was very little rp involved with that interaction. I asked where you were, you said killing brass dragon. We had never spoken, I dumped gear on you and left. Pretty much easy come easy go situation. If the rings and robes and extensions aren’t what you are talking about ignore this. If not, what’s the difference? If roleplay is your issue here that is.

>Thanks for missing the point.
>
>There was no role playing involved -- someone simply vultured
>a corpse and took things that couldn't be replaced anytime
>soon. I'm perfectly okay with losing things in a role-playing
>context -- a fight that was lost, cabal politics, etc. In
>those cases you know why and how to work out retribution.
>
>This was just someone being a jerk. You can try to excuse the
>behavior however you choose to but the result is one less
>person interested in playing a game with seriously diminished
>numbers.
>
>And maybe it is just me, but I don't loot corpses I wasn't
>involved with killing no matter what's in them. Even when I do
>kill someone, I seldom take more than 1 or 2 things because I
>don't want to ruin the game for them. The idea is to keep
>people around so you have someone to interact with.
72864, Nope, not me
I acquired all of those things I had myself, save for the dragonbone sword which was given to me by a storm giant. Everything else I worked the hard way, alone, to get. The felar-only things were what I was talking about and they aren't generally available (I'd been checking a lot). I think the latest crop of felar heroes had kept them cleaned out recently.

Look, I appreciate that everyone has different philosophies about looting. It was the anonymous, no interaction, no reasoning except for someone just being a jerk feeling that made me realize I didn't want to spend more of my recreational time hanging out with folks like that. And stuff like this will likely continue to shrink the playerbase until disappears.

72866, Oh okay.
You’re still being a HUGE bitch.
72891, There's no need to be anonymous
When you're calling people names.
72892, My bad
Didn’t want to give my character away. Bitch.
72893, Lol
Neither city ties thieves or w/w shifters can kill felar chief.
72894, Go fish. n/t
gr