Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectHaving done it at least once..
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=72317&mesg_id=72333
72333, Having done it at least once..
Posted by Java on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I'd say yes.

In that I enjoy playing a role. Sometimes that means doing something stupid or annoying, because that's what my character would do.

Now here's where I almost agree with you: The formulaic response "write note, be emo with Aurew, collect X amount of coins for the victim" can be pretty boring (except the Aurew part at least). But that's only one option, it isn't the only one.

What would your character do? Maybe he'd go to the Inn and get absolutely sloshed, then go on a drunken killing spree first, burying his axe in every red aura he saw. Or maybe he'd lay down his weapons indefinitely and take up a life of peace. None of that really matters. The important thing is that you play a character that actually responds to his own actions. And good people killing other good people, even on accident, is a pretty traumatic event. If you shrug it off, you're probably not as good as you think you are.

PS. Other people are playing characters too. You can't expect them to abandon their own role because you don't want to really play yours.