Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectProtection good/evil
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=70494
70494, Protection good/evil
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Is there any way to control which one you get if you're neither good nor evil? This has always been my biggest beef when playing neutrals, even if I have cancellation.

Why does it even work that way? Would it not be logical to make it a permanent choice (the way it was for neutral clerics in D&D), or have it protect you from both good and evil, at half strength?
70499, The main bonus of being neutral
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
is that you have ability protect from alignment, while good/evil cannot.

So having it at random isn't much of a problem.
70495, Neutrals should lose protection good/evil entirely (nt)
Posted by Bemused on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
gr
70496, Why?
Not that I play them often (prot is one of the reasons I don't) but I've always felt they're getting the shaft re: gear and preps.

The best gear is either evil only or goodie only, you can't use protection, you have most disadvantages of a goodie but none of the advantages of evil.
70497, RE: Why?
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You can use protection as a neutral, just unreliably which doesn't matter if you are looking at offensive raid or retrieval.

At the same time no one can protect against you.
70498, This is the weirdest way to implement it, though.
There would at least be logic to neutrals not having protection at all, but randomness is just... meh.
70500, This.
Posted by Calion on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I don't get why way back they decided to give this boost to neutral against their g/e enemies. As it is now, at the very least there ought to exist a prot vs neutral for g/e as well.