Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectCarrion Fields Event Calendar
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=68623
68623, Carrion Fields Event Calendar
Posted by Rahsael on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
We'd like to see as many players as possible involved in the major events or memorable moments that make Thera feel like a living, breathing and dynamic place. So we've decided to try something new: a public event calendar that provides announcements or hints about events we're planning.

Here's the link to the calendar: http://bit.ly/2ulKzsu

This calendar is a bit sparse right now, but it will be updated frequently.

Feel free to spread the word however you'd like; tweet the calendar, share the link on other forums, etc.

This is something of a pilot program, so it will not include absolutely everything that we're planning, and some events might be scaled back or postponed if there's some kind of an emergency or conflict that arises on our end.

Our hope is that we get as many you involved in our events, quests, parties, etc. as possible by letting you know in advance when they'll happen.

Please feel free to email me at immrahsael@gmail.com if you have any thoughts or suggestions about this calendar. If you have an IC event you'd like included, email me or send me an in-game note including date, time (system time), in-game location and a brief description of the event.

We'll see how this works!
68663, Looking for Suggestions...
We're using Google Calendar now merely because everyone seems to have a Google account. However, the platform isn't very flexible or nice to look at.

So we're looking for suggestions. Does anyone have a free, nice-looking and convenient online calendar platform that would allow us to schedule and share events with the general public? Must be desktop compatible, though iOS and Android compatibilities are a plus.
68664, First of all, it should be Google-calendar compatible
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
What's amazing about Google calendar is that I signed up and it shows me upcoming CF events on my phone calendar. Which is absolutely amazing.

You can't achieve the same effect with other platforms :(
68665, ... And with the correct time!
Posted by Rodriguez on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
That's s huge thing for people from different time zones.
68666, This NT
NT
68667, RE: This NT
Yes, all of these things would be great. The Google calendar setup is a bit ugly, and it doesn't seem capable of adjusting to each individual viewer's time zone unless they add it to their own calendars.

I'll devote some time this week to finding a new calendar that has these capabilities. But if one of you has a solid and specific suggestion, you could save me some time that I would instead use to dream up and prepare cool events.
68671, RE: This NT
Adding CF calendar to your calendars is the whole point. It's not really usable if you don't add it.

But if you add it - it's great. So you have all the Android users on board by default.
68669, Timezones are hard!
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It's best if the calendar shows current time so I can see the actual difference in hours between it and the clock on the wall.

I mean, if it tells me the event is scheduled at 08:00 and I show up at 08:00 server time, but it turns out it meant my local time? Ow.

Not to mention the calendars seem to always be off even if I set them to my timezone because they forget daily savings or whatever. My own Ubuntu insisted for years that Irkutsk is GMT+9 when it's actually GMT+8. And it kept resetting my laptop's internal clock, too!
68670, Oh, and disclaimer for Boris
Posted by Murphy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I ain't a complainer. Having a calendar's a good thing.
(I'm just a pessimist.)
68672, Just add it to your Google calendars
It adjusts all the events to your timezone automatically.

Like I now have all the CF schedule on my phone, next to my business meetings and affairs.

18:00 - 19:00 - Gym
20:00 - 21:00 - Blood Moon

It's ####ing great. If you didn't add it yet - do it.
68668, RE: Looking for Suggestions...
Posted by Drehir on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You shouldn't worry about looks. Not sure what you mean by flexible. This is a great concept.

https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/41207?hl=en

68673, Great!
I would also suggest to add it not only to the main page (noone visits it), but to forums as well.
68701, RE: Looking for Suggestions...
Posted by wjdenny on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Thank you!

Google Calendar is perfect. There's no use in wanting it to look a certain way, anyway, since most of us are going to be using the data with a third party calendar apps 90% of the time anyway. Best option, if you really want to control the look and feel, would be to embed the calendar in the webpage and fiddle with the CSS (if possible) or use Google's API to generate a calenderish widget on the site, that way at least then new players (or those new to the calendar) would stumble upon it, all CF-branded and fancy-like.

Now when I'm scheduling meetings with students and clients, I can check the CF calendar and prioritize appropriately.

I second putting some planned learning or exp bonuses on there as well.

Edit: it might be straight-forward if you're doing it from Android, but I had an extra step or two adding it to my calendar from Chrome on a laptop. Just add the calendar ID to your "Other Calendars" where it currently says "add a coworker's calendar"; the calendar id is a3i0u10fd6rv0e83v9srjjn884@group.calendar.google.com
68638, This is great, could a big link to it go up on the main page and MOTD?
Posted by Mcbeth on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
68636, Wow this is nice
NT
68629, You missed Orctober!
Posted by Tac on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The national holiday of Orcs and Goblins everywhere. For shame... For shame...
68628, RE: Carrion Fields Event Calendar
Posted by Very good idea! on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Removes the need to always calculate timezone differences.
68625, Good plan.
Posted by amazingdonnie on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
May be a good idea to throw bonuses on there too if you guys plan any for say Labor day etc.

Like the idea alot.
68635, Good idea!
I hope the Labor day is a holiday tho.