Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectRE: a few thoughts
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=68214&mesg_id=68385
68385, RE: a few thoughts
Posted by Scarabaeus on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
We're mixing genres here, so the comparisons are tentative at best. We'd really need a study on spoiling games of this type, but we don't have that. That said, I'm suggesting that authorial intent does not have to be compromised for the sake of enjoyment value. Let's assume that the study demonstrated a statistically significant difference between the spoiled and unspoiled groups (I didn't download the article to see if that is true or not); the difference is still small enough that both author and many readers could be accommodated with unspoiled stories. AND, the guided experience would help preserve the communication act. In a game like CF, where there is replayability, you could of course then experience BOTH the unspoiled and spoiled versions of the experience, which sounds like a win to me.

And, for the record, I'm not trying to be difficult (it is sometimes difficult to know over the internet). Someone will have to have a pretty compelling argument to have us consider ideas that may very well break a game that has, over the last 20 years, had a fairly discernible trajectory on this matter.