Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectForum policy
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=66605
66605, Forum policy
Posted by wln on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I didn't read the forum for a long while and only recently I've posted my provocative post about limiting/capping immexp. I don't mind constructive criticism, but for reaction were insults from various people. My fault, I've reacted to them and fell to their level at the beginning, but I'm old and smart enough to realize it and stop that.

I find such situation and lack of any moderation quite strange and unhealthy for ANY community. Imagine newbies coming to the OFFICIAL forum and see... all that. It definitely nut helps to build a stable playerbase, and I'm pretty sure it force some people to leave (or stay away). Really, would intelligent people want to participate in that spoiled kindergarten?

Perhaps staff thinks that if those people would be banned, and one else would post? Instead, I think those who don't want to participate in those dirty shows would begin participating.

Also, when we talk about the current community, this toxic behavior creeps into the game too. Spoiled by a few people, the whole community suffers negative effects.

Under such sick conditions, it's not surprising that the staff is also reacting defensively, ready to be attacked at any moment. How can we expect staff to respect and listen players who act like immature, spoiled childrens, competing in trolling and who would mention d*cks more times?

A game success is directly dependant on it's community. I have never seen a successful game with so rotten community.

So I suggest to introduce the forum policy and moderation, where insults (direct our disguised), thread hijacking/flood would be punished. The warnings, then the fist punishment is one day ban, second - two days, then four, week, two weeks, month, two months and etc, doubling each time.
66608, RE: Forum policy
Posted by Jormyr on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
To be perfectly honest, I've been thinking it's gotten particularly bad lately, as well. I'd been looking at making a post, myself, when I have time. Short version, everyone needs to start being more civil, and I'm probably going to start spending my days being playground police. Given it's going to take up more time than I care anyways - if your post fails to contribute and is missing, decent bet I just got rid of it. Hopefully more detailed post at some point when I get time.
66609, I think your software is holding you back here...
Posted by Tac on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
A subreddit would have basically all the same functionality you have here, but allows for better moderation as there is some community contribution in the form of downvotes. It isn't perfect, but it also allows moderators to do the kinds of things you do now, including banning users.

Reddit search is terrible though...
66610, Just moderation and troll shooting would be enough
Current community is small for such things like votes. Shoot down few trolls, warn few other and it should be sufficient.

I'm glad that it finally is happening, yay and cheers.
66611, You do realize that you'd be one of the first ones to be shot? NT
Posted by Well on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
NT
66613, Why bother posting this anon?
Posted by Destuvius on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You are certainly correct in that statement, but its also silly to hide who you are while making that point.
66614, Well
Posted by Well on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
that's because I'm silly.
66620, It depends
There are two possibilities.

A. Umiron-style bans, when players are banned not for how they are talking, but for what they are saying. I.e., they dare to have opinion that differs from his (or imms in general) and they dare to reason it. In this case I'll be banned quickly.

B. Imms will ban only for what I've mentioned above. Then you (and your friends) will be banned instantly. Unless you'll learn how to interact with other people like a mature people do in a civilized communities. Though I think you would fail eventually and get your ban (sorry, I just don't believe that this group is capable to talk polite).
66621, Everyone thinks they are the good guy
Posted by laxman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You clearly have an opinion on the direction you think things should go. I just don't know if you fully grasp how you are coming off right now. On the whole I think your concerns about immortal involvement towards rewards is dated and doesn't really apply to the current realities. As far as forum moderation I think that 99.8% of the time the admins have done a fine job, especially considering this is not the only venue of discourse.

In summary I think the metaphor of Don quijote and windmills might be appropriate.
66622, Offtopic
It doesn't matter what I think about situation in CF in this thread. I don't really see why are you bringing it here, where I'm talking about absolutely different things (politeness, mostly, and respect other people's opinions).

So take a look: right now you are hijacking the initial topic and shifting it to my persona. This is a standard move of a forum trolls or those, who want to bury the original thread. If you'll look below, this tactics were used under each if my post by various people, who don't want CF to be fixed (who, as I believe, are benefiting from the current situation). And this is why I wrote about the forum policy (again, I tried it about two years ago, but been banned for it by Umiron).
66623, Quas is anything but a troll. n/t
Posted by Homard on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
n/t
66624, RE: Quas is anything but a troll. n/t
Maybe. But that his reply IS an off-topic and hijacking, and I've explained why. Just used it as an example of how threads are becoming the flame threads and turning from their origins to insults and attacks on each other.
66625, Maybe I was too circumspect
Posted by laxman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I have read your opinions and I don't agree that the problems you think exist for the most part. As a result I don't see any need for new policy.
66627, RE: Maybe I was too circumspect
I don't mind people disagreeing with me or having their opinion. I mind trolling, insults and spoiling community. If someone have a different opinion doesn't mean that they may act as those people in some threads below. This is why we need the forum policy, to finally make community friendly and respectful to each other, and make community and officials newbie friendly.
66628, Be the change you want to see
Posted by Destuvius on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
If *you* want to see things differ, then *you* need to be sure that you are doing what you can to have it happen. So far you aren't off to a great start by accusing someone of being a troll for having a different opinion than you.
66629, RE: Be the change you want to see
I never accuse someone as a troll for that. But when someone in that post also calls someone a "bag of cocksuckers", our hijacks each and every post with personal attacks, I think it IS trolling.

Let's see how it will go further. As I said, I'm not going to descend to their level anymore and apologied for my participation in their show. I'm mature enough to just ignore such things, and I'm already doing it.
66630, Have you seen our community?
Posted by TMNS on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>This is why we need the forum policy, to finally make community friendly and respectful to each other, and make community and officials newbie friendly.<

This is a nice dream, but it's a pipe dream. I mean, FFS we have players who will create "alternate identities" like they are some spy ####ers just to cheat at a game that gives no actual RL benefits.

I'd rather people just follow the rules already stated. It's not hard.

And for the record, if you weren't posting about how Umiron sucked repeatedly, I probably wouldn't have taken as much of an issue with your posts. I dislike people who make blanket statements like "IMMs are cheaters". I won't apologize for that.

*Jormyr edit: Yeah, totally just realized I can cut out the parts of posts that are unneccesary. Post edited for hello kitty censorship. Sorry, Sam!
66637, Just don't mess with PETM documents, Jorm
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Don't go torak!
66638, To be honest, I don't even notice an edit.
Posted by TMNS on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Good job by you! :)