Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectMath of becoming a mummy
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=63896
63896, Math of becoming a mummy
Posted by wln on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Well, I did some calculations. This is not critics or something, it's just a food for thought for everyone who enjoy to play necromacers like I do.

We know that GOOD chances for becoming a mummy are around somewhere 85%. To maximize your chances, you have to spend at least 270 hours (according to Sam's (?) thread on Dio's) and you have to perfect all spells that is related to the creation of undeads (armor of living bone, animate dead, reanimate, wall of putrid flesh, lesser golem, greater undead, manifest shadow, possibly corpse thrall, graft and embalm skill). So, you'll have to invest A LOT of time and effort to get your chances to 85%.

From the other hand, if you have nothing practiced and you are below 100 hours, your base chance is 33 (see Dragguul's timeline on PBF, I bought his PBF just to see how much is it).

In case 1, you play for about 3 months to maximize your chances (of course if you aren't me, I can burn down 200 hours in a month). 3 months to have 85% chances.

Case 2: you powerrank to 47 and go for the quest. In 3 months, you can do about 6 runs (2 weeks to 47 for necro is easy). Here are your chances (rounded):

Run 1 = 33%
Run 2 = 55%
Run 3 = 70%
Run 4 = 80%
Run 5 = 86%
Run 6 = 91%
Run 7 = 93%
Run 8 = 96%
Run 9 = 97,2%

So, by MY only opinion, and IF my calculation is correct, it's not worth to waste 270 hours to die on the becoming (which IS disappointing and discouraging, trust me). For me, it's way better to burn a character and in case of failure reroll - that way I won't lose too much time and still fail (270!!!!!! hours is a lot, you can create a successful startup in that time).

I may be wrong here, though. Again, I repeat It's not a call to action, just my thoughts on that matter.
63917, Just go wight
Posted by laxman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Against everyone the gap between wight and mummy is not much. You can't hide your undead and there is a couple of pieces of gear you can't use but you still will have all the stuff that make undead deadly.
63919, Nope
I had both, and there is a huge difference between mummy and wight. Wights are a pale shadows of the mummies, trust me. Though they are strong and have a lot of benefits, they have some issues that are critical for me. They are fun only in regards to RP, but as we already discovered in threads below, I suck at it :)

I do not encourage anyone to reroll necros until you get the mummy. I won't go this route either now, too, after that I have discovered so much fun on midranks. Earlier, I thought that CF begins on hero. Now, I think it begins a bit earlier, so powerranking to hero is not required now.
63915, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (nt)
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
asd
63916, Okay that was funny. Welcome back. n/t
Posted by Lhydia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
gr
63918, Awesome lol.
Posted by amazingdonnie on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
This should be your default forum reply
63913, RE: Math of becoming a mummy
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I think there's more to it than you realise.

For example, pk count may count. In some form to prevent cheesey kills.
63908, Your assumptions are wrong
Posted by Fuhlsang on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Mon Sep 8 06:30:23 2014 at level 47 (67 hrs):
Base chance: 5, Roll: 28, Result: Death!

So what do I win for the lowest ever base chance with correct items? =)
63909, Ouch!
WHAT did he do to have THAT chance?

Dragguul was almost a newborn baby, and yet he had 33 chance. So, by MY calculation, if you spend just a little more than do nothing and race to 47, you'd still have more. Perhaps he didn't even practice any of his spells, I don't know.

BTW, to answer to Destuvius: I do not encourage anyone to go the second route. I just was curious of the math. Personally, I enjoyed midranks as a necro a lot, and I had and good fights, and interesting interactions there. So if you'll ask me, how would I go - I'd go in the mix of both. Power to 47 when I'd get bored of midranks (or if I'd become old-age again).
63897, As PHD in math scince
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I can support the probability calculations. It is important to note though that mathematical expectation has physical meaning in a number of samples going to infinity, which is not the case.

So if you don't have infinite time to prove that running 3 necromancers in a row has a better probability of becoming a mummy, maximizing your first run chance to 85% would definitely be more efficient.
63906, But they didn't teach you how to spell science. n/t
Posted by Lhydia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
gr
63907, You dare question Dr. Beront's expertise?
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Repent and atone.