Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectHow about some (minor) rangerlove?
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=37899
37899, How about some (minor) rangerlove?
Posted by Explorer Swampdweller on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I don't think it would kill anyone to allow Explorers a wider variety of terrain-specific skills/spells to work outside their home terrain.
Specifically, I'd love to have Bloodletting and Swarm of Leeches work outside of an actual swamp (in the wild) if the check for Wanderlust passes. Right now it's a hard-coded check against swamp-or-not, which means the skills don't see and won't see any use pretty much ever. I mean, I willingly give up Bearcharge in exchange for a very questionable combo, can I at least have something minor in return? Thanks.
I think this would apply to all explorer rangers, They explore, so when they pass the Wanderlust check, they should have access to all their wild skills imho. Not mountain-bearcharge home-terrain wise, of course, but similar to Bloodletting, what's the harm in that?
37919, RE: How about some (minor) rangerlove?
Posted by BaronMySoul on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
If anything, I'd like to see edges to allow something akin to this for all terrain-based ranger skills in general, with a few caveats:

- something like swarm of leeches could be cast and would have a diminished effect outside of a swamp. However, wanderlust check has to succeed, terrain has to make sense, and conditions have to be right. i.e. there may be one or two leeches in the forest that come out when it's raining, but not in the city on a dry, hot day. Or, you may be able to call a whirling simoon on the road where there's a lot of dust, but it's not going to be as effective since there isn't as much sand, and it can't be raining. This would *at least* allow for spell spam while ranking so that when a ranger would get an actual chance to use it, you have less of a chance of failure because you never get to practice it.
- the edge be moderate in its edge point cost
37901, I don't think you appreciate how strong that would be
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Swampdwellers already have plague, which is immensely strong.

Some of their skills work everywhere already, to some extent (swampmire for example).

If you let all explorers use all their skills everywhere (and yes, I've played an explorer), it would be grossly overpowered.
37983, Have you ever played a swampdweller?
Posted by serial ranger on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Poison/plague fire so rarely they might as well not exist.
They are pretty much completely useless perks when it comes to PK.

I agree with OP, the skills should work with only a wanderlust check
as a requirement. Those who mentioned edges and diminished effects
have no idea of how useless explorer/swampdwellers can be compared
to other combos.
37997, Yes, I have
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
And I've played an explorer of other kinds.

And I'm travelled with them.

And I've fought against them.
38039, Explorer isn't supposed to be sick
Posted by BaronMySoul on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Explorer is meant for exploring and they have a lot of skills that help with that. Marshdweller/Explorer has some nice perks and I've played the combo numerous times. Not the best combo, but not the worst.

Swarm of leeches is an amazingly awesome spell, which is why it's only available in swamps. Giving them the option to use it without edge purchase or with diminished capacity would be akin to giving a ranger a lesser rot spell.
37900, Huh? Explorer Swampdweller is one of the strongest combo's.
Posted by TMNS on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Seriously. One of the drawbacks of swampdwellers is not a lot of swamps.

Explorer mitigates that.

While bloodletting working outside of swamps seems reasonable, swarm of leeches isn't. Druids can't even use that outside of swamps. Leeches is gross.
37984, After countless rangers, i found at least six terrain/spec combos that are way stronger
Posted by -flso on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Explorer/swamp is mediocre at best and if one is focused on PK
an extremely bad choice.