Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectWondering what I should focus on to maximize pummels
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=20915
20915, Wondering what I should focus on to maximize pummels
Posted by enyuu on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The helpfile doesnt say much about it. Should I focus on dex? Hitroll? Siz? If an Imm could give me some input that would be really appreciated.
20930, RE: Wondering what I should focus on to maximize pummels
Posted by Zulghinlour on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
A lot of pummel is based on the random number generator and your chance of making the first strike. Each subsequent strike is at a lesser percent based off the initial chance.

That being said, if your strength or dexterity or hand-to-hand skill are low it's going to be less likely to be successful.
20931, What do you mean by "chance of making the first strike?
And do weight, hitroll and size play a part?
20933, You know...
Posted by GinGa on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
A 'thank you' might have been cooler.

The imms are not about to open up the code for every single skill out there. Zulgh just gave you a pretty good snapshot of how not to get a BAD pummel. If you want to figure out how to get a GOOD pummel, then experiment like everyone else does.

If pummel is REALLY this important to your character - you might well be playing the wrong game. Diablo (and Diablo II) are the games for you - all skills are transparent, and you need only click the monster to get full affect!! This also saves you time having to roleplay, gear and explore while you find more things to pummel. Which I understand is a frustration for flurry junkies seeking a fix that doesn't come with 4 rounds lag.

And Thanks Zulgh. You're my hero.
20934, Hey! I dont need your put downs! Really tho, is it really necessary to insult me for asking a question?~
~
20936, No, it wasn't necessary to insult you.
Posted by _Magus_ on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Yhorian's just a huge douche bag 95% of the time.
20937, But...
Posted by Lyristeon on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Zulg gave a really good answer and the guy wanted to dig for more without even trying to see if Zulg's answer made any sense by experimenting.
20942, Well actually
I was just didn't understand a part of his answer, and figured I'd ask if maybe size or hitroll played a part since I was asking a question anyways. As far as experimenting, I havent even rolled the character ^_^
20943, RE: Well actually
Posted by Mekantos on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Enyuu is a relatively new handle, so I'm guessing he's also fairly new to the forums, game, and just the way things around here are run in general. Maybe he expects more straight-forward answers and doesn't grasp that everything CF has to be veiled in mystery. That being said, Enyuu, Zulgh spelled it out in as clear a fashion as you are ever going to get here, dude. Look...

A lot of pummel is based on the random number generator and your chance of making the first strike. Each subsequent strike is at a lesser percent based off the initial chance.

So, to me it sounds like the higher you "roll" when you try to pummel (let's say on a scale of 1-20) produces a better chance for each subsequent strike.

...if your strength or dexterity or hand-to-hand skill are low it's going to be less likely to be successful.

Modifiers that he told us here are STR, DEX, and HtH. I'd guess hitroll is in there somewhere, but let's not worry about that so much. Just keep those three things as high as you can and you should be fine. If you want to crunch it down into a more detailed analysis, well, we can only guess...

Maybe a successful pummel = 1/2 'pummel percentage' + STR + DEX

So, if you were a human with maxxed stats (STR as prime stat) and 100 in pummel it might look like...

1/2(100) + 23 + 20 or a 93 percent chance to pummel. Now remember, the RNG will always be in there to screw with you. HIT and DAM too.

See, all that for what? At the end of the day you are probably not going to change your approach to pummeling at all...we've just muddled things with numbers! Ugly numbers!
20944, Thanks very much for the reply! Both you and Zulg. And magus for defending me ^_^~
~
20948, To be a little more blunt than Mek here...
Just roll with whatever you want. If you're planning on rolling up a storm giant and want H2H, so be it. You're going to be pummeling people regardless of stats. I never understood the inane number crunching. But some people insist on it. Just play whatever you're going to play. Sometimes it works out. Sometimes it doesn't. Oh well. Just try to have fun and not worry about all the numbers.

Caveat: All you really need to focus on is learning to prep. That way if your pummel sucks, you'll at least survive.
20950, Not necessarily prep v. survive
Posted by Quixotic on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Damage reduction buys the inexperienced pker time to determine if this experienced foe is linkdead, in which case winning might be possible.

If said foe is not linkdead, he will either kill your character outright or escape, heal up, and soon kill your character, your character's mother, and your character's stuffed toy poodle named Munchies.

20947, RE: Well actually
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You don't have to know the exact formula in order change the way you do things. For instance, if I knew that pummel was vastly more dependent on strength compared to dex, and I wanted to make sure my pummels always stay nice, then I might wear more STR gear than DEX gear. Vice versa if DEX were the main stat. And I didn't have to know the formula to make that decision- all I needed was something like, "Strength and dex both matter, but strength more than dex."
20951, I agree
I really do. When I said something about "CF being veiled in mystery" I was actually being a sarcastic ass, to an extent. It IS mysterious in some ways, and I don't think it helps anyone. This little pummel scenario being a perfect example.

Just lay the #### out there.

Put the dependent stats right there in the helpfile so people know.
20952, RE: I agree
Posted by Zulghinlour on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>I really do. When I said something about "CF being veiled in
>mystery" I was actually being a sarcastic ass, to an extent.
>It IS mysterious in some ways, and I don't think it helps
>anyone. This little pummel scenario being a perfect example.
>
>Just lay the #### out there.
>
>Put the dependent stats right there in the helpfile so people
>know.

For this example of pummel, I put out the big three that will make you unsuccessful. There are however about 12-15 different factors that go into determining your success. Some of them may only have a 1-2% affect, while others may have a 20-30% affect. An edge here or there, whether or not you are affected by some specific skill/spell, are a few examples of things like that. Help files get to be pretty stupid if you throw out everything that goes into determining success or failure of a given skill.
20949, I understand Zulg gave a good answer...
And I commend him for that. It would definitely be a good enough answer for me, but then, I wouldn't have asked this particular question to begin with.

What I don't like, is how Yhorian puts his holierthanthou spin on just about everything. It's reminiscent of smallguy syndrome. Or smallpenis syndrome.

And I'm going to echo Mekantos. Enyuu seems relatively new, and is just trying to do some number crunching for himself. God forbid! *insert sarcasm*
20946, Honestly, it takes one to know one. nt
nt
20945, Satire /= Insult.
I apologise if you took it as one, but you were touting Pummel like it was the central pillar of your CF experience. I just made light of it, trying to bring the fact to your attention.

It's one single skill, in an experience that covers far, far, far more. There is absolutely no need to obssess over it. Zulgh gave you a pretty satisfactory answer :) If you're character's crux is Pummel and nothing but - I can understand your strange need to pummel better than anyone else. But if no one has figured this out without looking at the code, the likely answer is - you're going to find most people pummel quite similarly as long as what Zulgh said is true.

Good luck.
20979, RE: Satire /= Insult.
Posted by Eskelian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Your post was pretty insulting. Neither here nor there, but a definition for satire is "witty wording to convey insults". I think the guy was just trying to figure out how it works, which is the first thing people do when they're trying to learn how to be competant in a game.
20927, Damroll is very important.
Posted by Marcus_ on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
From my observations atleast, the damage scales faster with damroll than, for example, regular melee hits. I have no idea what determines number of hits though.
20929, For hits, I'd wager...
...it has something to do with DEX + HITROLL. I am not sure, though, and I'd love it if an Imm-In-The-Know would shed some light here. It really shouldn't be a secret, after all.

Underhand, flurry, drum, etc. All of these I'm curious about.
20925, Anybody? nt
nt
20926, RE: Anybody? nt
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Don't think anyone but staff knows for sure. People have speculated that dex determines how many hits you get, while strength determines damage. Being "faster" (from a haste/slow perspective) than your target probably also helps, but again, that's speculation on my part.