Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectRE: Fearsome mage mobs:
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=17982&mesg_id=17984
17984, RE: Fearsome mage mobs:
Posted by Valguarnera on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
With consideration to newbies, there should be some "dumb" rank spots, but in return yield less reward. This of course at lower levels to break them into and then gradually it gets beefier? Slapping on the big beef stick that gets you mob killed at level 12 isn't great fun if you're new, I'd lose interest at least.

The NPC in question is level 20, and yields a good bit more experience than most level 20 mobs. So yes, if you're level 12, and your character is dumb as rocks, when it busts out Mental Jolt once in a while, you might get burned. Fortunately, you're very unlikely to be lagged, because you're fighting low-level transmuter, and can probably regroup.

In related news, gnomes should be careful about ranking on mace/hand-spec warriors.

As a pure mage, it also averages fewer attacks and weaker tanking than most NPCs of its level, for what it's worth. It doesn't dirt kick, disarm, kick, bash, or do anything 'extra' for a transmuter. It's great ranking for the right character.

I'm not sure what people want here. If it's "A weaker mob that's worth more XP than usual because I must be able to solo rank on extra-strong NPCs 8 levels up on me.", something will have to give.

There are literally hundreds of level 20-ish warrior-ish NPCs worth baseline XP out there if you want that experience. Finding the rare low-level transmuter NPC actually takes a bit of searching. A transmuter will fight differently, but it's not clear that (averaged across all characters) they're more dangerous.

With consideration to newbies, there should be some "dumb" rank spots, but in return yield less reward.

There are. always have been.

This of course at lower levels to break them into and then gradually it gets beefier?

That's how it works.

Slapping on the big beef stick that gets you mob killed at level 12 isn't great fun if you're new, I'd lose interest at least.

Basing your opinion on a one-paragraph log just might leave you with imperfect information. "New" level 12 players aren't running at level 20 NPCs, by the way. "Think of the children" is a bit overused.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com