Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectWhat Ex-paladin was trying to say (plus more)
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=129&mesg_id=153
153, What Ex-paladin was trying to say (plus more)
Posted by Brotmin on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>More invokers cons that didn't get a lot of air time in this
>thread(*):
>
>- You can never cover all the ways someone can lag you. If
>an invoker can't reliably cast, they're the worst class in
>the game, possibly excepting transmuters.

Yes, but I don't think this really can be called a con, since you can protect from lagging attacks no other class can protect from. Yes, you can't cover every lagging attack, but this is true of every class except paladins with a specific virtue... so is this really a big con?

>- Concealment limited to Improved Invis and Dig.
>Mobility/pursuit limited to Teleport/Word. It's not hard to
>avoid or surprise an invoker, relative to most other
>classes.

This puts them in the mid-range of concealment/mobility for classes. They have better concealment than warriors, a-ps, paladins, many shapeshifters, bards, berserkers, conjurers, shamans, healers and debatably druids. They have mobility/pursuit as good as or better than that of warriors, bards, thieves, assassins, transmuters, berserkers, druids and rangers. My point is, while this doesn't make it a great strength, it isn't all that weak of a point either, and "most" isn't really accurate.

>- Room Traps: Beat them like you beat Wall of Thorns- keep
>the fight mobile, be unpredictable in your paths, don't pick
>a fight when you start to get the feeling you're in the
>middle of 10 of them, and remember that once they put one
>down, they can't set them up again for a while (in some
>cases)

On the other than, they have them, which is more than can be said for nearly all other classes. This is definitely a strength, not a con.

>- If you have abilities that hurt their mana (we should put
>more ways to do this, as an aside), you can make an invoker
>useless fast- a lot of their better spells cost a ton.
>Shamans and necromancers lead this list.

Nice if you can do it... but as you said, there aren't many ways (as of now, at least).

>- Saving throws, saving throws, saving throws. You hear
>that, Battle? Step away from the charred leather bracer a
>moment. Learn from conjurers, and carry some adjustment
>options in your backpack. If you have a 0-ish save vs.
>spells before warcry/spellbane/etc, and an invoker pushes
>you down and takes your lunch money, don't come crying to
>Uncle Valg.

Yep, this helps, though it doesn't completely negate them the way you can completely frustrate a necromancer if you keep saving.

I honestly don't believe that invokers are sickly overpowered or anything like that... but they are powerful, and your list of cons seemed to be reaching, to me. If I were looking for every possible flaw, I could probably find more for every other class with the possible exception of liches.