Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectRE: Assassins are broken.
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=65934&mesg_id=66023
66023, RE: Assassins are broken.
Posted by Umiron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

>Ground control has a *chance* of perma-lag. Current logs are
>generally assassin's vs other melee, or each other. Glik's
>logs, for example, show him literally using his abilities to
>actually *improve* the assassin's chances and viability of
>throw. Sure, his style works great at a lot of situations, but
>you've got a matchup where both characters benefit from low
>auto-melee.

The distinction with throw and ground control, with the edge(s), is that the chance is especially high and there is very little most characters can do to mitigate it.

Bash on the other hand is a lot less reliable or predictable with regard to the lag and can mitigated in at least a couple ways by almost anyone, at least in the sense that if the warrior is smart enough and prepared enough to counter your counters there is a downside involved.

Neurological disruption is similar in that the defense against it is straightforward, if a bit impractical at times since one probably has to give up a LOT to seriously mitigate ND. A ton of SvS + SvP will make a huge difference but if you aren't covering stats or you have a damroll of 20 then maybe the proposition isn't worth it. But that's a different debate.

>To your "rule", however - a lot of CF class balance comes from
>having various pieces of the puzzle at different amounts.
>Paladin's are amazing in a cage match, but little lag or flee
>prevention. Orcs have great lagging, but like defending with
>their faces. AP's have tons of options for any situation, but
>rarely an amazing one. I tend to think assassins have a
>generally jack-of-all-trades approach, but perhaps a little
>too much of each piece of the pie.

I wouldn't say assassins are "OP". To me, overpowered leans toward a scenario where it's practically harder to lose than it is to win most of the time and I don't think assassins are there. But when something starts to go from jack of all trades and master of none to jack of all trades and master of all then maybe it's worth taking a look at. If nothing else, the game is more interesting if more classes get played more of the time and there are a wider variety of fight match-ups at any given time, both in general and at the "top" of the ladder.