Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectThe puzzles are what made it
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=26349&mesg_id=26456
26456, The puzzles are what made it
Posted by Grudan on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It's amusing cause just last week I found an old, old email from you discussing Silent Tower puzzles after I explored it with one of my early shapeshifters solo and detailing how I died 10-15 times exploring it and working some things out. This was probably in the first few months of it being released. Good memories.

I love the puzzle aspect of some zones, myself. I loved working out Kteng's, Loch Grynmear, and what little I did of Silent Tower and other places all by myself. I get a feeling of accomplishment, and I really enjoy the obvious thought put into it by the creator.

I think this game definitely has a place for puzzle zones.

Silent Tower might not work as one so much because it's seen as 'end game' with important gear. This raises the stakes and people will see it's knowledge not just as a fun puzzle, but as a bargaining chip/weapon to use against people. And lots of people would rather take the easy way in games like this.

Personally, I'd say if you open Silent Tower without the puzzles, call it something else, cause it really would be ruining what made the place so unique.

My personal suggestion would be to remove any real game changing gear in the place and just repoen it and forums be damned. I'd happily go in there just to work on puzzles and blow a few con points to see how far I could get. Gear is just temporary crap anyway, but I still happily remember some of those puzzles even though I haven't been in there in years.

Just my two cents. I'd like to see it back, but not if it's going to cause you to get annoyed/frustrated when the info leaks out, and it always does.