Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectOnly sexism and homophobia?
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=14336&mesg_id=14396
14396, Only sexism and homophobia?
Posted by Valguarnera on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Given certain segments of the playerbase, I'm surprised there aren't caveman-level remarks about races and religions yet!

Most of the women who come through the immstaff have a pretty thick skin, largely because if they've managed to stay here for a couple years, they needed it. Sadly, every female staff member I can think of at present has been accused of sleeping with someone at some point in their career, with the implicit or explicit accompanying accusation that it's the only reason they're on staff, regardless of any other evidence of competence. I'm sure if a staff member came out as openly homosexual, they'd see a lot of pointless hate thrown their way as well.

I'd guess that 90% of it is the usual suspect-- quasi-anonymity leading to Internet Tough Guy Syndrome. (The other 10% are ignorant bigots, who are in no shortage in RL either.) I like to think that most of the moronic sexist comments that get slung around are just posturing for attention, and nothing they'd say if an actual female was in the same room. So take it with a grain of salt.

valguarnera@carrionfields.com