Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Gameplay
Topic subjectI would not be to worried about not having Infravision...
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=6&topic_id=10116&mesg_id=10227
10227, I would not be to worried about not having Infravision...
Posted by SPN on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Let me break it down a bit.

Classes with Infra/Darkvision: Shaman, Healer, Druid, Transmuter, Shapeshifter, Conjurer, Invoker, Ranger, and Assassin.

Classes without Infra/Darkvision: Warrior, Bard, Berserker, Anti-Paladin, Paladin, and Thief.

Races with Infra/Darkvision: Elf, Half-Elf, Dark Elf, Half-drow, Wood-Elf, Felar, Dwarf, Duergar, Gnome, Svirfnebli, and Orc.

Races without Infra/Darkvision: Human, Storm Giant, Cloud Giant, Fire Giant, Arial, Minotaur.

There are then nine classes with access inherent in the class to be able to see in the dark, as opposed to six that cannot.

There are eleven races with this inherent, six without it.

From the numbers then there are 16* possible race/class combinations that do not recieve infra/darkvision.

There are 83* race/class combinations that either have this as a skill or as an inherent ability.

I know this does not take into account the popularity of some race/classes over others, but by the numbers there are few classes that this would be detremental to, and as such might warrent thinking about not taking those particular classes. I mean, roughly 6% of the race/classes would be at a disadvantage. It would also provide giants more of a disadvantage than just their respective vulnerabilities.

I am not trying to argue for or against this idea, but before we start saying, "Well this would be detremental to many characters..." I wanted to point out it is not as significant as you think. It would actually give people a reason to keep dark/infravision up all the time. And this would only take affect at night anyway.

The only thing I would argue for if this did get the Imms indorsement is for Theives to finally get dark vision. I never did understand why they did not recieve it.

*These numbers are what I could count up, using pen and paper, so they may or may not be 100% accurate.