Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Marketing CF
Topic subject.com domain name
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=56&topic_id=723
723, .com domain name
Posted by Roshialanix on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
This has been bothering me for some time now, but if memory serves the old .com domain name was bought be someone else when the hosting lapsed, and I've been tempted to at least test the waters and see how much it would cost to purchase it again. I have been an on again, off again player over the past 10 years and (so long as the price isn't ridiculous) might be able to either make a contribution or buy the domain outright. We have been using the .net domain for some now, so I guess the real question becomes... Is there enough interest in reacquiring the .com domain to make this worth pursuing? I am willing to donate my time to do so, so long as there is interest =)
724, www.carrionfields.com port 9999 connects to another MUD now.
Posted by DurNominator on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Is it even possible to reclaim it when things are like this?
725, RE: www.carrionfields.com port 9999 connects to another MUD now.
It should be, although I'll admit I had not realized that port combo connected to another MUD. I did a little bit of digging though, and logged into that mud. Their website is listed as projectfiction.net, which coincidentally enough shares the same IP address as carrionfields.net and www.carrionfields.com. It looks like all three happen to be using the same (shared) host, riverwind.thirdhosting.com. It would probably be close to impossible to get that port number back short of changing to a different host that still has 9999 available, or creating a dedicated server. I am unsure of what the current promised specs are for the current MUD host. I have however hosted a few MUDs in the past and if memory serves, the requirements are pretty low – just throw some RAM at it. Aside from the port number problem, I guess I’m somewhat confused as to how .com is already pointing to what I assume is “the right place” while the subdomain is pointing elsewhere. I would assume that the imms deliberately have the web server separated from the MUD (makes perfect sense from a security standpoint), and so I guess I am somewhat confused. I find myself with three possibilities:

1.) Whoever bought out carrionfields.com when the hosting lapsed happens to be using the exact same host and shared server (seems fairly unlikely)
2.) The imms in fact already own carrionfields.com (hadn’t realized that the forums were still .com when I did my initial post), but do not have access to the DNS Manager for it, or do not have carrionfields.com set up as a vhost on the web server.
3.) I may have no clue whatsoever how you are actually set up. Some clarification by whoever’s in charge of the website may be in order
Any one of these possibilities has a potential solution. I guess at this point I would just like a little clarification, either via this board or PM/Email if preferred.
726, Jullias still has carrionfields.com (n/t)
Posted by Zulghinlour on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
n/t
727, Uh... What?
Posted by Tac on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Can you not get in touch with him to fix it, or is there some sort of broken relationship there or what? No need to air dirty laundry, just some info would be nice, since it's been broken for a while and makes us look bad...
728, RE: Uh... What?
Hrm... Interesting. I would assume that if he left on bad terms, we would have had troubles long, long ago. More likely, the domains on auto-renew and Jullias is unreachable. If this is the case, I am still willing to take this under my wing if desired. If so, do you happen to know what Jullias' name is IRL?
730, Don't worry about it (n/t)
n/t
731, Is the general stance that if players want to assist with outreach and marketing in any real since they should IMM first? n/t
Posted by Lhydia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
gr
732, No, it means I'm taking care of it (n/t)
n/t