Go back to previous topic
Forum Name New Player Q&A
Topic subjectTL/DR Role Chapter
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=4850
4850, TL/DR Role Chapter
Posted by Cointreau on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
When writing a role I tend come up with the idea and then summarise the sequence of events in dot point form before building out the full story. I'm sure I'm not the only one who does this.

I'm wondering, when writing said larger role, would some of you like an exec summary first chapter? This chapter would summarise what the full role is about, in dot point form, without the full story telling.

For those less interested in a lengthy role it means you get a quick view of what the character is about. It also serves as a quick reminder, rather than skimming a long role again.

I would put in a disclaimer, essentially saying "skip this chapter if you want to experience the full role", but wanted to know if it was even worth doing to begin with.

Thanks.

4855, RE: TL/DR Role Chapter
Posted by Ishuli on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I'm always fine with summaries/bullet points/whatever. They do a good job of summarizing a role, and more importantly, I can use them for a quick "check" before immteraction when I don't have the time to delve deep into a full role.

Otherwise I'm also fine if I don't have that, but it's definitely the icing on the cake.

-Ish
4851, It's helpful.
Posted by Daphedee on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Especially if you're planning on adding updates, and people rating said updates may not have been the folks rating the initial role. It makes it easier for them to get an idea of where you're coming from and how the new chapters tie in.
4852, Yes.
Posted by JohnEveryMan on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It's a good snapshot of what you're supposed to be, what your plans are, etc. I can't speak for immortals but at least in my case browsing
through pbfs I've found that I really love writing roles, not so much reading others so a bullet point is good for brevity.

Another thing, I know I've read some roles on here and the ICs and
felt like the rating imm interpreted the point of the role/story
completely differently than I did, so a concrete statement about
your char might be a good way to ensure clarity. Can't remember any
specific char names as an example at the moment though.

**Question for immortals**
I'm sure you all have preferences for what kind of roles you like
as far as writing goes, so do you guys ever pass on rating a role
if you know it's not appealing to you? (I.E too short, too wordy, too abstract)
Or is it just whoever happens to be reading it the time?
4856, RE: Yes.
I think your second paragraph is absolutely right. Sometimes people really interpret what you've written differently than what you've intended. So short, concrete bullet point statements can 'resolve' any questions that might be in the role for someone reading it.

**Ish Answer**
I never pass one up unless another immortal explicitly wants it (like if it is their follower). I'm also a sucker since I have pretty broad tastes when it comes to reading, so I'm receptive to massive stories, brief summaries, and everything stylistically in between. In terms of rating roles based on that, the only thing my 'appeal' ever does it add to a role, if it's straddling between two ratings. It never acts to detract from what I'd give as a rating.
4853, Follow up question then.
Posted by Cointreau on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Would you prefer a much more succinct role generally?

I'm unsure what you base role contests on: quality of writing, role idea, uniqueness, all of the above, etc.

I could very easily tell you exactly who the character is and why, without the story telling. I'm not a bad writer, but I certainly don't do it professionally and am uncertain anyone would want to read my writing by choice.
4854, Some of it is subjective.
Posted by Daphedee on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>Would you prefer a much more succinct role generally?

For me personally, not necessarily. If you've seen roles I've written, you'll know brevity isn't my strong suit. :P

>I'm unsure what you base role contests on: quality of writing,
>role idea, uniqueness, all of the above, etc.

All of the above is ideal. I don't really judge format, but having something well organized in terms of line length/paragraph formation makes it easier on the eyes and something I'm more likely to read.

>I could very easily tell you exactly who the character is and
>why, without the story telling. I'm not a bad writer, but I
>certainly don't do it professionally and am uncertain anyone
>would want to read my writing by choice.

You probably wouldn't receive top marks for just an outline, but I'm just speaking for myself. I love a good story.
4857, RE: Follow up question then.
Pretty much what Daph said.

Roles should tell about a character. Good stories that manage that are even better. You can absolutely get well rated roles based on bluntly telling me: "Dave is a warrior. He trained since he was a kid. His mom died. He is cool." since it tells me about the character, but it wouldn't be a top tier role-contest winning role for me.

Role contests for me involve 'all of the above'. If it is well written, has a certain level of depth, or manages to be original, then it has a much better chance of winning a RC for me.

-Ish