Go back to previous topic
Forum Name New Player Q&A
Topic subjectSome new player questions
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=4812
4812, Some new player questions
Posted by xyfa on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I started playing here a couple of days ago and have been really enjoying things so far. I'm a complete novice to Carrion Fields but a long time mud player, and am just having a few issues I was wondering if anyone could clear up for me. Its probably worth mentioning that I'm a caster. I know there's a recommendation that they're not the easiest classes to start out with, but it mostly comes down to prefering them thematically (though after reading up on them a bit, the warriors here sound way cooler than what I've encountered before). I also like the idea of having access to identify when trying to learn what stuff does. Anyhow:

Firstly, I think I might just be 'doing it wrong' when it comes to trying to level up. I read up on the ranking guide and have been using those areas primarily, but I seem to have to rest between every kill, which takes a long time. It might be that is right, but I'm at that stage where I mostly want to just be sure I'm not making something harder than it needs to be.

Second, when browsing I read that AC isn't that important. Are there caveats to that (like if you have x skills etc) or is it just a general rule of thumb that you should not worry about it that much?

Lastly, is there a way for me to get a wield item to parry with and not give up my shocking grasp and similar? Or are those a trade off kind of thing. I tried a bunch of the basic weapons but none seemed to work. So am guessing the latter.

Thanks in advance!
4818, RE: Some new player questions
Posted by Thaedan on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
First off, welcome!

>Its probably worth mentioning that I'm a caster. I know
>there's a recommendation that they're not the easiest classes
>to start out with...

One thing you'll want to remember is that everybody has his own opinion about which classes are "best" for new players. My feeling is that the best class to play is the one you're going to enjoy. If you enjoy role-playing, and hopefully you do, then part of that is the "theme" of the class and has nothing to do with the mechanics and whether they're especially newbie-friendly.

Odds are, whether you play a "good" newbie class or a "bad" one, you're still going to get steamrolled by vets. If and when that happens, don't assume it's because you chose to play a mage class. It's just part of being new to the game.

I don't know what mage class you're playing, but transmuter, shapeshifter and good-aligned conjurer seem like good fits for new players. Possibly invoker if you can handle a bit of skill spamming.

>I also like the idea of having access to identify
>when trying to learn what stuff does.

Definitely not recommending you abandon your mage character, but it's worth noting that mages aren't the only ones with identify. Druids, healers and shamans also get it. Bards and svirfs get lore at 100%. I agree playing a class with identify makes sense when you're a new player. Gaining exploration and observation xp will cause your "lore" skill to go up. Add in a little spam, and you can have it at a useful level before too long.

>Firstly, I think I might just be 'doing it wrong' when it
>comes to trying to level up. I read up on the ranking guide
>and have been using those areas primarily...

Be aware that the level ranges in that guide are rough approximations. It's also super out of date; some of the areas don't even exist anymore. But it's not a bad place to start.

>but I seem to have
>to rest between every kill, which takes a long time. It might
>be that is right, but I'm at that stage where I mostly want to
>just be sure I'm not making something harder than it needs to
>be.

Are you ranking alone? That could be a big part of your problem. Some classes have a much easier time ranking solo than others. Generally speaking, mage classes aren't the best at it. If you join with two other people, you effectively get 3x the hp regen, 3x the mana regen, 3x the damage, plus a boost to the xp you earn for each mob kill. Skills from different classes also synergize. For instance, a transmuter can haste melee classes and slow non-melee classes that spend mana to do damage (in order to boost their mana regeneration rate).

If you can find a group of three, that's almost always going to be better than trying to rank alone. Even if it's just three mages of the same class, that's better than a one mage of that class trying to go it alone.

>Second, when browsing I read that AC isn't that important. Are
>there caveats to that (like if you have x skills etc) or is it
>just a general rule of thumb that you should not worry about
>it that much?

It can be useful at low levels, but once you get above 20-25 it's not something most characters pay attention to. Other things, e.g. stats, hitroll, damroll, spell saves, hp, mana, are generally higher priority.

>Lastly, is there a way for me to get a wield item to parry
>with and not give up my shocking grasp and similar?

Been a while since I played an invoker, but I think the design of those spells is that you need to have one hand empty.
4817, RE: Some new player questions
Posted by xyfa on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Thank you all! That helps a lot. I'm not sure about fly stuff yet, but I imagine I will find those as I explore more. I've started applying the rest and noticed a pretty big difference.
4819, Re: Fly
Posted by Seriphax on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
There are several sources of the fly prep, some better than others. If you take a cursory look around Galadon you should find some vendor preps that you’ll find useful and relatively cheaply as well. As you explore you’ll start finding all sorts of useful locations of preps spells/sources, but if you are wondering about specifics most people are receptive to revealing that info in character, in game. Ask around and you should find yourself getting up to speed on that sort of thing much faster than just looking around for them randomly. That said, I’ve found lots of useful things by just wandering around exploring. Just be careful, there are many dangerous and aggressive mobs out there, be ready to flee quickly and try to have some source of recall and teleport on you if things get messy fast. Also, be wary of villagers as a mage, they’ll target you based solely on your class and are well suited to facing off against magic users, especially at lower ranks.
4815, Some tips Twist won't tell you
Posted by Kstatida on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
If you're below 15, AC is huge. In case of invoker, being dextrous race (some kind of elf?), wearing two citrine rings from Hamsah Seaport (they're sold by the jeweller) and wearing a rusted chainmail from Silverwood (worn by a encumbered goblin) will get you AC that most mobs in the ranking areas just won't hit through. That will let you survive till you get the parry skill.

P.S. With regard to identify, lore is as reliable when mastered.

P.P.S. Keep in mind invokers don't get fly, so make sure you stash them fly potions so you don't get tripped to death by the bloodthirsty us :)

See you in the fields, it's great to see a new face.
4816, I second this in regards to AC.
Posted by SPN on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Gearing for hp doesn't matter if you don't get hit. A number of spells also will lower your AC and may be worth using (armor, sheen of stone, all the shifter lesser defensive enlivens.) Use the officials item search to find a ton of more useful -ac gear pieces. Remember you get wands and what not too which can get you these spells when you are not the right class to cast them.

As a melee, I always gear for -ac for defense perfection at 15. It will make your life so much easier!
4813, RE: Some new player questions
Posted by Twist on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Welcome. Thanks for giving us a try.

>Firstly, I think I might just be 'doing it wrong' when it
>comes to trying to level up. I read up on the ranking guide
>and have been using those areas primarily, but I seem to have
>to rest between every kill, which takes a long time. It might
>be that is right, but I'm at that stage where I mostly want to
>just be sure I'm not making something harder than it needs to
>be.

Mages have a hard time leveling by themselves. Getting into a group with a melee class of some kind (paladin, warrior, assassin, ranger, etc.) is your best bet. If that's not possible (I know it's hard to find a group sometimes) you might want to buy a mercenary in one of the major towns like Galadon, Udgaard, or Hamsah Mu'tazz. You can have them rescue you (for a while, though they might die if they are too fragile) and while you are resting, have them sleep too. If you have a mercenary in your group and are alone, you get an exp bonus much like having a second person in your group.

>Second, when browsing I read that AC isn't that important. Are
>there caveats to that (like if you have x skills etc) or is it
>just a general rule of thumb that you should not worry about
>it that much?

As a general rule, I never worry about AC. Some players keep tabs on it when they are below level 15 or so, but in general it doesn't do much on CF. If you have an extremely good AC, lower level mobs will "miss" you a lot. As a mage, I'd recommend gearing for HP above anything else.

>Lastly, is there a way for me to get a wield item to parry
>with and not give up my shocking grasp and similar? Or are
>those a trade off kind of thing. I tried a bunch of the basic
>weapons but none seemed to work. So am guessing the latter.

I'm assuming you are an invoker. If you want to use the touch spells as an invoker, you can't be wielding a weapon.

Good luck, and don't get too concerned about dying!