Go back to previous topic
Forum Name New Player Q&A
Topic subjectYes and no...
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=4691&mesg_id=4694
4694, Yes and no...
Posted by Twist on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Many people now write roles largely to get rolexp from them. If I saw a role entry that was essentially just a log of a conversation, I personally wouldn't award rolexp for it. I'd mark it as having been read, and move on.

However, I've often wrote role entries that are ABOUT a conversation I've had. And included snippets of the conversation within it.

The easiest comparison I can make is the difference between how a screenplay is written and how a scene of that same dialogue might be written in book form.

Here's a really simplistic example of the difference.

Log Format:
Joebob says 'You must die because you are a mage and mages burned my village!'
You say 'Fool! I draw my power from the Gods! I'm no pathetic magician.'

Role format:
Mycharname had a conversation with an idiot battlerager today, who swore to kill Mycharname.

"You must die because you are a mage and mages burned my village!" said Joebob.

Mycharname retorted that Joebob should take note of the fact that he was actually a shaman, not a magician of any sort.

"Fool! I draw my power from the Gods! I'm no pathetic magician.'

The "role format" version above lets you keep track of that conversation, but can be part of a role update that shows why that conversation had an effect on your character (and what that effect might be).