Go back to previous topic
Forum Name New Player Q&A
Topic subjectHelp with Immteraction
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=188
188, Help with Immteraction
Posted by thedrunkard on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
This is going to be long, or at least ranting, so if you don't want to see the usual stuff I post, that no one responds to then just ignore this.

... I don't get it. I have been playing on and off for several years now, cabaled in tribunal, nexus, herald, empire (old empire), heroed a few times.. To me, I thought as far as in game goes, you do and act as you do for others to see and recognize. Wether I play some insane disordered character, to the calm collected intronan follower, to the pk monster, or the rp'r.. I never get noticed. Do I have to know someone? Do I have to have gods I pray to actively all the time to get a title or something? The only time I ever got a title is when from an RP stand point, my character attacked Iunna and died.. Like I was supposed to from what I thought was an IC point of view... And even that title was a friggin insult, callme me master of half wits, but.. I went along with it, played it out, even tried to join the orc clan, long time ago... Anyhow, I see so many people out there with titles and recognition but I see nothing at all impressive.. For example.. Here I am, role playing best I can, (still consider myself new) and as we're speaking about stuff (keeping names,subjects,cabals out of mention cause current characters) I get nailed with text book 'what does this mean' 'what does this stand for' questions.. What ever happened to a conversation?? I remember back in the day I would talk hours on end with cabal leaders I wanted to get with, now its just Whats ### stand for? Thats just ####! Specially when someone asking such cheap ass questions has a title. So what am I doing wrong? I stay consistent... I dont break character.. Make decisions that sometimes are negative but do so anyways to keep in role.. And every time I do get a chance to talk to a Imm, i get bitched at, or told to go away, or threatened for bothering someone.. My whole deal in CF is to just have someone recognize what im trying to portray.. Maybe im just stupid .. I mean, I wont try to join empire anymore cause I see posts of how people have millions of gold donated... Well, I usualy wont even see that much in a lifetime, at most i have 1 to 4 gold on me... Every post I see of ragers deaths, they show skill lists of 100% rows after another.. I can master defenses easy sure If i want to waste a few idle days doing nothing but spamming, Yeah with the new system I could just go out an rank, but thats only increasing leveling skills, ... I don't know, I don't understand this powercurve i'm failing to catch, but I have been a player for so long, and the best I ever got was a god damn Master of Half-wits... and that wasnt even for rp reward, I just attacked an imm... It's pretty sad when you get bummed out over a friggen game, but then again, if your me, lots of #### is sad...

Hopeless.......
215, RE: Help with Immteraction
Posted by zaya on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I've been playing CF since 1996 (or maybe 1995.. it's hazy), but have recently returned from a long hiatus.

All I can say is Amen, Brotha.

Zaya
190, RE: Help with Immteraction
Posted by Khasotholas on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Posts like this make me sad. I'd like to think everyone who roleplays, and sticks to it well, is rewarded eventually. (I think good roleplay is its own reward, but that's another issue.) You certainly don't need to pray, or attempt to contact your God constantly, but it does help to let them know that you're out there, and you're involved in their beliefs. Whether that's a pray, a note, whatever, that's your call... but there's often simply too many folks for us to watch everyone for prolonged periods.

That being said, I'd say you probably have had a string of bad luck... I've never been a practice all skills to 100% type, I don't think that's important... eventually, if you do what your character was created to do, and do it well, you will be noticed.

I will echo what's been said by another in this string... get the joy from playing the character, not the rewards you think you deserve... it'll make the rewards all that much sweeter.

Good luck, I know it can seem intimidating at times, but eventually it will all fall into place.
191, Honestly, thank you.
I haven't exactly at least in my own mind, had the most compelling to watch, or desiring to know characters I think, But... In my little borderline personality disorder universe, CarrionFields is a first time mud/other path of whatever expression people are supposed to need. So at times I can get sort of involved per se.. As well pretty damn disappointed when I make a point to leave stuff, and I get full looted from camelot gear... Or when I make an attempt at something that Imms would be replying to or watching and I just end up looking like an idiot.. I mean hey, what can I say, I suppose social skills are a bit of a neccessity, I just like being able to go somewhere and not be me. For some reason though, It's like the "reward" or recognition is just as important as the character I try to play to escape reality with. Sure, I love being a dumb orc, or an evil corrupt mage, to trying out different warrior specs, yet it just really gets to me when it seems all that I put of myself into what I am trying to portray as a character goes unnoticed or just disregarded. Maybe I do screw up in situations time to time, or get lost once in a while, even aggitated when I see someone getting away with something they shouldn't, It's just that it seems when I put myself into someone, and I am just tossed aside, sickly enough, part of me feels like that too. I have honestly been in roleplaying situations where I was actually affected emotionally, I remember a shapeshifter named Talin I believe it was, we were both shifters in Nexus, Can't remember my name, but there was this whole in depth conversation deal, at a critical break down point in my characters life.. I actually cried that night, while silently playing in the fields. To me that is just the release.. I know the fun is in "playing" and your info has helped a great deal, but My fun is having someone else notice something worth noticing.. That make sense? Your input has been very helpful, and assuring. I'm sure a good deal of my posts come off the wrong way, or so it seems from lack of replies, or just plain Imm's insulting me, I'm not doing something right. Honestly, even something as slight as an echoe of someone watching me, guiding, noticing, disagreeing..etc. that in itself would be such a cool thing to happen. When Intronan was around, one of maybe.. three Imms I have actively interacted with besides Holztendorff, so you can imagine how much lack I have been getting. A few times I would speak with someone briefly, I remember Bria gave me 1 con while in between talking to people, then basically told my honor sphere character How i pretty much dont do #### for the cabal, and everything I thought I had done.. was basically nothing.. Well, I have been ranting way too long, and too many beers. Again, thank you for the replies, I will try to take as much in as I can, just gets so frustrating sometimes then I remember, at least in this life I can log out and take a break, Guess that's what makes CF even better in comparison to reality..
Welp.. thanks, take it easy an all that
192, RE: Honestly, thank you.
Posted by Quislet on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Just a couple of throw away ideas/suggestions:

If you want your forum messages read a little more often, try breaking it into paragraphs. I read posts twice as long without any trouble when they're in sections, but one huge block is hard on my poor eyes.

Also, if recognition is important, it's easier to get it from other PCs rather than Imms, if only because there's so many more players. So, if a good roleplayer actively roleplays with you, that's a sign they think you're also a good roleplayer. Most of the time, that's more than enough recognition for me.

By the way, most of the titles I've ever gotten were embarassing too, don't sweat it. Titles don't mean as much as people think they do.
193, RE: Honestly, thank you.
Posted by Gwyn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
So, it's nice to see I'm not the only one who gets emotionally wrapped up in her character sometimes. I literally cried when Sylvrin died because I had put so much into her and I wasn't ready to let her go, that emotion came through into the character herself during her last hour as a ghost.

I agree with Quislet, if other good roleplayers interact with you take that as a big compliment. I had some immteraction, quite a lot in fact, but I never actually expected most of it. One of the most rewarding things that was said to me came from a mortal rather than an Imm. Vorondel told Sylvrin just maybe a half hour before she died that he thought she would make a wonderful Prophet. That meant as much or more to me than anything Shokai or Beroxxus ever did or said.

I make a point of roleplaying a lot because it keeps my character fresh and helps me get over the rough times, that in and of itself is rewarding.

If you ever run into one of my characters you will most likely get a good response if you interact with any kind of depth of character at all. I love talking and emoting in game and if one of my gals (I always play gals) responds to you, just know that you are doing fine. Not, of course, that you will know who I'm playing, but just the same, a good response to your effort from anyone who Rp's well should give you warm fuzzies.

Smile - It can't hurt and might help. :)
194, RE: Honestly, thank you.
This has all be some really great, positive feedback. It's good to hear your ideas and suggestions.

Roleplaying wise, I'm starting to get the idea a bit more so now, trying to get in touch with already established players, cabal members.. etc. I always had this inside thought that most Battleragers were veteran players, majority of them always offering a good deal of roleplay, and seemingly always better in combat, travelling with, stuff like that. Not saying i'm going to roll battle because only battle rp's, i don't think that's the case.

However, the idea of trying more so on the pc interaction actually does shine some light. Just the other day I had a lower character that gained a higher char's attention and he was more than willing to offer interaction with me, stuff like that is really awesome.

I think what my biggest problem is I feel the need to impress someone that's not watching, maybe just had the wrong angle for a little bit I suppose. Thanks again!

(How's this for paragraph breaks?)
195, RE: Honestly, thank you.
Posted by Quislet on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
> However, the idea of trying more so on the pc interaction
>actually does shine some light. Just the other day I had a
>lower character that gained a higher char's attention and he
>was more than willing to offer interaction with me, stuff like
>that is really awesome.

One extra thing to keep in mind, if someone else is in a cabal or has a high level character, that doesn't mean they're not a newbie. Some people get into cabals or hero with their very first character, and still may not be the best RPers. On the other hand, there's been at least one person who caballed, heroed, and immorted with their first character, and in the one case I know any details about, I think her secret was sheer persistence. She just wouldn't give up, and I've always admired her for that.

> (How's this for paragraph breaks?)

Excellent, it helps me trim your comments and make mine in between. ;)
(it's also easier on those poor eyes I mentioned before)
200, RE: Honestly, thank you.
Posted by Khasotholas on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Yeah, your comments make sense. I know, because I'm sure most of the players (me included) have had those kind of questions and doubts at some time. I'll say this... skilled pkers can always make an immediate splash, but quality roleplayers, eventually, will always get their due. It's noticed by the populace first (a better reward), and sometimes the imms later (second best to populace noticing, in my opinion). Sometimes it takes time, but trust me, it does happen. As far as the emotion of the games goes... I can completely understand... the first time my first hero, a healer, landed a demolish... I stood up and cheered. The highs and lows are why we keep playing.

Good luck,
Khas
189, few things
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
ok, firstly, a lot of it is luck. Don't let it bother you if you don't get the immteraction you want. It doesn't necessarily mean you aren't deserving.

secondly, don't expect anything, because you set yourself up for disappointment. That's why when I made Lokrin (bounty hunter) I went for a role that could work even if I never got the immteraction I was hoping for. I got none from Zulg who was who I was hoping for (which is fine) but I got surprise immteraction from Intronon. However, I never got my last name even though many characters used it when speaking with me. But really, I had more fun with this character than any other.

Finally, imperials donating insane amounts. They can donate equipment, and it gets turned into a monetary equivalent. They don't actually have to collect all that much gold.