Go back to previous topic
Forum Name New Player Q&A
Topic subjectOOC: Super Newbie Question
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=5&topic_id=152
152, OOC: Super Newbie Question
Posted by Jasque on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Hi:

I've never mudded before, so this question is even before I have a workable character.
When I connect, the first question is what I want to name my character, but when I type, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?
And, if this is the wrong place to ask this question, where can I go for the answer?
154, This is the
Posted by Xaannix on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
best mud ive ever come across. All the other ones are like youre sailing a battleship in your bathtub.

This was my first mudding experience also, was tough to get started but after a bit, you will learn much faster. A while back I tried a few other muds out there and i realized i got lucky stumbling upon CF first.

Dont get discouraged if you get killed. When you learn and get better you can dish out 10 times the pain you received. Before you learn to kill, learn to run. It will save you a lot of time and anguish.

RP is mandatory here and its great that way. Dont talk about cars/women/real life in the game, or assholes will realize you're a total newbie and kill you just for kicks. Immortals will also get on your case if you go OOC a lot in the game. :P

Use the newbie channel.

As for a Mud Client, get Zmud or Gmud. Dont use telnet. Download them and set it up for Carrionfields. That will save you a lot of headaches as well.

Cheers and have fun.

153, RE: OOC: Super Newbie Question
Posted by Scarabaeus on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

You need to change the settings on your client.

If you are using raw telnet as your client, you want to turn local
echo on. If you're using something else, you'll need to tell us
what that is.

You ARE connecting, you just don't see the characters echoed back to
you when you type them.