Go back to previous topic
Forum Name "What Does RL Stand For?"
Topic subjectRE: Good fantasy!
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=43&topic_id=364&mesg_id=483
483, RE: Good fantasy!
Posted by DurNominator on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>Also, you might want to look at David Eddings(or maybe I am just weird liking his works).

I'm pretty much omnivorous with fantasy books too. Edding's books were what got me started in reading the genre(I got Belgarath the Sorcerer as Christmas present and then wanted to know how the story continued). The Eddings books are something that are hard to let go of when you start reading(the text is easy to read too).

Some excellent fantasy in my opinion:

Song of Fire and Ice by George RR Martin.

Discworld books by Terry Pratchett(they are somewhat fantasy parody style, these are wonderful reading. Somehow he managed to make pretty much every page of the books funny without spoiling the story). Each book has a different story, so while they do have some chronological order, reading a previous book is usually not a prequicite for understanding the next one.

Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan

Dragonlance chronicles by Margaret Weis. Rest of the Dragonlance books aren't quite as good as that.

The Dark Elf trilogy by RA Salvatore. Salvatore's concept of evil deep underground elves and their society makes quite interesting background for the story(though from biological standpoint, it makes no sense that these elves have white hair and black skin).

And many other books, many of which are mentioned elsewhere in the thread. Of the ones mentioned, Song of Fire and Ice and Pratchett's Discworld are probably the most enjoyable reading.