Go back to previous topic
Forum Name "What Does RL Stand For?"
Topic subjectRE: That contradicts what you just said.
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=43&topic_id=309&mesg_id=453
453, RE: That contradicts what you just said.
Posted by Eskelian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Thats ridiculous.

~3000 people in the US are attributed, according to Valg's own statistics, to getting lung cancer from second hand smoke.

Out of 280 million people.

Think of that and reread his post, and tell me it doesn't come across as a serious over-exaggeration?

Just for giggles :

You're 5x more likely to be murdered.
You're 7x more likely to die to the flu.
You're 14x more likely to die in a car crash.

~500,000 people die of various forms of cancer every year (note - in other words, you're 165x more likely to die of something other than lung cancer as a non-smoker affected by second hand smoke...assuming their stats are legit).

~910,000 people die of heart attack every year (note - in other words, 97% of people who have heart attacks and die are not non-smoking second-hand victims).

The point I'm driving at? I'm not saying second hand smoke is harmless. I'm saying its nothing to wet your pants about.

My problem is more with the tone and assumptions (IE, get that smoke away from me or it'll kill me), its purely ignorant. You have a LOT more things to worry about. Second hand smoke is not the boogie-man, come to axe murder you in your sleep, that people make it out to be. Relatively speaking, Ronald McDonald is more 'Jason-esque' than second hand smoking. Additionally, you'll note the type of people that "frequently expose themselves to second hand smoke in bars" aren't the types of people that would shock me if they had a heart attack.