Go back to previous topic
Forum Name "What Does RL Stand For?"
Topic subjectHoping for some info/advice...
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=43&topic_id=2272&mesg_id=2272
2272, Hoping for some info/advice...
Posted by TMNS on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Using Windows 10.

Turned off automatic update.

Get an update a few days ago...research it, seems ok. Hear that there are cyber attacks going on/hacking etc...so assume that the update is for that.

Since the update, my computer random freezes. There is no noticeable cause (I have task manager up constantly and notice no unwanted programs nor any excessive memory or CPU use, in fact usually when the computer freezes both of those go to 1% or lower with System Idle Process at 99%...even if I am running Chrome or VLC player or whatever) and thus I am at a loss at what to do.

Have run three separate (as in different products) virus scans, nothing serious found. The only other noticeable difference is one of my chrome extensions has simply stopped working altogether. Is a corrupted file the issue (as in the computer tries to read it and hangs until it gives up?) or should I just restore to the point before the update?

It doesn't crash FWIW, it just (literally) freezes for 2-5 minutes then "comes out of it" and works normally for 20-120 minutes.

Happens most often when it idles for a while, if that helps at all.

Thanks in advance, I know this is mostly a shot in the dark.