Go back to previous topic
Forum Name "What Does RL Stand For?"
Topic subjectI'll also point out...
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=43&topic_id=2206&mesg_id=2230
2230, I'll also point out...
Posted by Eskelian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
...that I think that people who are rabidly atheist like to point out the schitzotypal people, the religious literalists, the people protesting outside an abortion clinic as if those people are that way *because* of religion. I think, honestly, there's crazy and there's not crazy and attending church isn't going to spontaneously make you write threatening letters to your local clinics.

Instead, I'd suggest you see what it is to me at least, a nice calm time to relax and reflect, a healthy dose of tradition and music, a philosophical standpoint and a social gathering. It fills a variety of roles in society and the one about explaining how the earth was created is clearly outdated and incorrect. The church I belong to openly accepts gays (even as Pastors), it's not in favor of abortion but we believe in not judging others and instead offering support to people in their time of need, so on and so forth. If you read up on the ELCA, the core focus is on compassion, community and support - all great things. We don't throw rocks at anyone's windows, we don't write nasty letters, we don't trash talk people for living together before marriage, we don't disavow Darwin, etc.