Go back to previous topic
Forum Name "What Does RL Stand For?"
Topic subjectThe more invested you are in this, the harder it is for you to abandon it.
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=43&topic_id=2206&mesg_id=2225
2225, The more invested you are in this, the harder it is for you to abandon it.
Posted by Vortex Magus on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Basic principle of any religion.

There are a lot of good reasons for you to teach your kid religion and a lot of good reasons for you not to teach your kid religion.

I've known a lot of people who've done really well by their religion - one girl had her church send her to Jamaica on a mission to take care of kids in an orphanage. I've also known a lot of people who are otherwise good human beings, who in my opinion are held back by their religion - a kind-hearted, jovial boss who is openly revolted by gay people, and is firmly convinced they are an abomination against God.

Let me instead make a more basic argument - what if your kid could have cured cancer, but you teaching him religion caused him to invest all his Sunday mornings on prayer rather than genetic research?

I'm discussing it in hyperbole to make a point - its not that I really believe your child's ability to cure cancer will be affected by having 1/14th of his waking life spent on religious indoctrination (that's what Sunday mornings in church are).

Rather, my point is to say there are all sorts of things your kid could be invested in at a young age. Are you absolutely certain you want to make religion one of them, over something like academics, fluency in other languages, musical advancement, athletic ability, or any of the thousands of other possibilities open to him or her?