Go back to previous topic
Forum Name "What Does RL Stand For?"
Topic subjectIssue with Zmud
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=43&topic_id=1779
1779, Issue with Zmud
Posted by Rayihn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Hoping someone will have a suggestion here because this is driving me crazy. Lately, zmud will time me out if I don't have enough text coming through on my screen. Sometimes, it'll time me out after only 2 minutes. I don't tend to be constantly entering commands when I'm on, so this is pretty much happening to me constantly. It doesn't just time me out, it stops accepting text and basically just hangs instead of disconnecting me. Has anyone had this problem and if so how do you fix it??
1783, I've had similar
Posted by Odrirg on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I too have roadrunner, but my problem isn't about timing out.

a couple times a login, text will stop scrolling in zmud. I think if I enter commands cf gets them but I don't see the commands or anything else.

I have to shut down and restart zmud, and I get some sort of weird error.

I figured my problem was a vista+zmud problem.
1789, Vista+zmud
Posted by Dave on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
From what I've read on the zmud website, zmud doesn't bode well will vista. That is why they made Cmud.
1792, I think there must be another issue
Posted by Mekantos on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I ran zMUD on my vista machine and never had anything freakish like that happen. Not just once or twice, mind you, but for a couple years.

Edited to add:

Of course, I build mine from parts. I don't like all the crap software packages that come with pre-builts.
1795, I ran Zmud on Vista and
Posted by Stunna on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I had no problems with the two interfacing. I did have trouble figuring out how to do certain things within Zmud, and when I asked for support on building alias/triggers etc. I was told that (even though I'd purchased Zmud just a few days prior) that I could not have support because I was using Vista. Never mind that the issue had nothing to do with Vista...

So I bought Cmud and, as previously mentioned, they charged me twice for it and wouldn't refund my money because it was after 30 days.

I'm not a big zmud fan anymore.
1796, RE: I think there must be another issue
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Uh. Has Vista even been out for "a couple years"?
1803, Pardon me, 2007.
Posted by Mekantos on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Forgive me o' Lord of Factual Accuracy.
1794, I've had this too! Frustrating! n/t
asdf
1800, Dude, I really hope this isn't the same problem I had...
Posted by TheLastMohican on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Because, honestly, the solution was soooooooooooooo ####ing easy that when I figured it out, I immediately kicked a puppy (I don't really have a puppy, so, yeah...).

There is command/button/whatever, that if you hit or click it or whatever, it was give you a blank ZMUD screen. You then will type stuff, and you won't see any text scroll or any type of knowledge that you even typed what you just did. It will seem buggy as ####, and closing and reopening ZMUD will not fix it.

But if you find whatever it is that you hit (BTW, is it obvious I haven't had ZMUD for 3 years?) you can just hit it again and everything will be fixed.
1780, RE: Issue with Zmud
I've had that problem, and I don't use Zmud. I think it may be something my ISP is doing, or possibly my DSL modem. There's no reason a TCP connection shouldn't be able to stay open indefinitely.

Do you have AT&T/SBC/Yahoo DSL?
1781, Roadrunner
Though we did get a new cable modem recently...might be the culprit. Doesn't affect my 'roomie' though...
1782, RE: Roadrunner
Hmm. I used to have Roadrunner before switching to DSL, and never noticed it back then. That was over a year ago, though. Either it's some annoying thing that both SBC and Roadrunner are doing, or it's something between your box and CF. Or possibly an OS setting on the box CF runs on. Though, I doubt that's changed recently. Maybe the hosting service CF uses decided to start terminating inactive TCP connections for security purposes?

I'll try it from work with a throwaway lowbie and see if I get the same behavior. If so, then it's probably not anything related to our respective ISPs. Will try to narrow down what the exact inactivity threshold is too.
1784, RE: Roadrunner
Just tested it from work. I can send nothing for 500 seconds (i.e. long enough to void) and still "come back" after that delay when I send some text.

Will try again when I get home.

btw, does roomie also use Zmud? If you share the same internet connection and one of you experiences the problem but not the other, then it's probably client related after all.
1785, Infamously, he uses telnet to pk
So maybe it is client related...I'm sure if I email zuggsoft about the problem they'll try and pimp me some Cmud. Le sigh!
1786, None of my dealings with zuggsoft have been good...
Over the years they've always had a way to weasel out of giving me any real support.

When I bought Cmud they charged my card twice... I didn't notice for 30 days, and they wouldn't refund my money.

I basically told them that if they wanted to screw me out of $20 bucks, and lose me as a lifetime customer, fine. They said it was their policy not to do refunds after 30 days.

I said "OK" and now (if I were to be mudding) I'd use wintin.

1788, Dude
Posted by Dwoggurd on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
They need money to live.
Just think how many CMUD copies they should sell each month to make some adequate profit. And then think how many copies people will buy cosidering that muds become less popular.
Be lucky that they at least do something and sell for a low price (it is not like you need to pay 30$ every day).
1790, RE: Dude
Just to be clear, you're trying to justify them stealing $30 from him. He bought one license. They charged him for two. That's not okay, even if they're having a tough time financially.
1793, Exactly, it's the principle
Doesn't matter if it's $3, or $3,000 - the fact that they overcharged and wouldn't refund the money says something about them as a company. Says something about them as people too.
1797, I find it hard to believe
That they charged you twice AND refused to refund.
I just find it hard to believe.
More likely there are other circumstances or you are just lying about them.

P.S. And when I paid for my CMUD copy they charged me only once, so I don't have to use tintin/wintin to annoy them :)
1798, Jerk
I said there reasoning that it was after 30 days that I was notifying them.

1799, I still find it hard to believe
30 days is a period for a product full refund, not for a double credit card charge. If they took your money by mistake they must return them regadless when you notified them, 30 days later or a year later.
Maybe you just tried to trick them by buying CMUD, using it for a month and then asking for refund?

Anyway, I highly doubt that they would steal money from credit cards AND not return them even when caught.
1801, Hey, I'm just sharing my experience
you buy their crap if you want.
1804, Perhaps it was a miscommunication?
Posted by DurNominator on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It's Americans bombing Chinese embassy stupid not to return an accidental double payment. Maybe the person there mistook it for a regular refund?
1802, Hrmm Hrmm, Super please?!
Posted by Seilclavin on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Well depending on your credit company you may be able to go through them for a double charge. Visa Mastercard and my Fav Amex will back you 100%. Some bankcards will even help.

Tell them the situation, tell them you need a solution to the problem,
and Ta Da.

Working in a Customer Service field myself and dealing with Complaints I'm really floored that they'd take that stance.

Do like I do, be nice, throw them some Honey, and say in a flu flu bunney Voice.

Let. Me. Speak. To. Your. Supervisor.
Just keep going that route till you hit the 12 year kid who made Zmud in the first place...
1787, RE: Infamously, he uses telnet to pk
Try logging on using telnet (w/ your imm account, so you don't...you know...die or anything) and see if you can make the same thing happen. You'll have to use a wall clock to count time between entering commands.

You should be able to (at least) go 300s between commands and not void. So maybe try that in Zmud and see if the connection craps out, then try the same thing in telnet.

When I get home, I'm going to see if I can pinpoint the inactivity threshold at which my connection craps out. Will let you know.
1791, found my problem, at least
Looks like my timeouts were caused by how I had my router configured. I set the "max connections" and "inactivity timeout" settings to the recommended values for P2P use. That is to say a higher number of allowed connections (4096 instead of 512) and a shorter timeout (120s vs. 3600s).

That may not be your problem, since apparently you see the connection problems and roomie doesn't. Though, if he's playing mortals, maybe he just never reaches the required level of inactivity for the connection to be severed?
1806, RE: found my problem, at least
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Note: For anyone not paying quite enough attention, I'm the infamous roommate.

Doesn't seem like our router has configuration options like that. Granted, it's several years old at this point.

It does turn out that I get disconnected a lot as well -- not the most fun when you're reading two billion role chapters for a contest. ;)
1808, RE: found my problem, at least
Mine isn't especially common. Linksys with non-stork (DD-WRT) firmware. In DD-WRT, the settings are at:

Administration -> Management -> IP Filter Settings
1807, RE: Infamously, he uses telnet to pk
Posted by Eskelian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Have the hubby monitor it with netstat and figure out if the connection itself is dropping or what. You can check with a telnet client to see if its a client situation or networking thing.