Go back to previous topic
Forum Name "What Does RL Stand For?"
Topic subjectRE: Vague Topic
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=43&topic_id=151&mesg_id=253
253, RE: Vague Topic
Posted by Eskelian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Ok. Lets do the abortion topic :

Abortion has been legal for ~33 years now. The details have changed, but its legality hasn't gone away. It will not go away. So, what you're arguing, is that the 'moral' thing to do is marginalize it as much as possible. Try to keep the numbers down by making it difficult, limited, limiting the methods, etc. I can respect that.

However, if you're a moral person, you should also know that saving 100 lives is more important than saving 1. Ironically, the right (largest concentration of Christians who are anti-abortion) are also the largest supporters of, in general, blowing up other countries. I have to question what moral highground they are standing on when its cool to wax, some people say, up to 100,000 Iraqis. There are varying estimates, but undoubtedly tens of thousands.

Now, I'm not against the war in Iraq, since I think there is a lot of 'greater good' tone to the whole thing. But regardless of that, I'm also not going to take the moral highground elsewhere.

The long story short, is that there are a lot more important and volatile issues in the world at the moment. The situation with Israel, Iran and the Middle East in general, as well as North Korea, many parts of Asia, and Africa...need to be resolved. You have a country where there's a memorial of a tree where babies were slain by being beaten against the trunk of the tree...and people here wage their entire vote on a topic that, for the most part, hasn't changed in thirty ####ing years.

Anyway, the problem isn't voting according to ethics. Its voting according to short-sighted retardation.