Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subjectRE: Believe or not
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=88041&mesg_id=88134
88134, RE: Believe or not
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>But people ARE omniscient.
>For example, when imperials were in Inferno, our cabal was
>raided by people who would never otherwise approach the
>imperial lands.
>
>I mean, come on, how often you would see Liethkim
>retireve/raiding solo when there 5+ imperials online?

So you're telling me you've never done this:

Empire has my item and has overwhelming force in my range. Let me peek into Balator and see if any summon traps are set up.

No? Well, let me try to kill these Centurions quick, if I see someone coming I'll clear out.

Okay, the Cents are dead and still no one is showing up. Maybe they're busy with something. Let me hit the Vanquisher and keep scanning.

etc.

I mean, I realize you haven't been in that exact situation because it would require playing a non-Empire cabal, but people do things like this all the time. :)

>Or I sleep a random shifter and people come to rescue him even
>though he couldn't call anyone (being in a form) and tell them
>the location.

That could be dirty, or, it could be: Hey, I see Gzurweeg and I'm about to try to fight him. If I don't say anything in the next minute or so, I'm probably slept in Balator.

I've done that no shortage of times, either.

And, for what it's worth, some shifters can call for help while slept in form.

>I'm nowhere saying that you should throw yourself on someone
>who has every other advantage over you.
>But the point of TRYING is actually trying. Your enemies can't
>be prepared all the time. If you keep trying eventually you
>will catch them with pants down.
>Even if you don't want to be trying, that doesn't mean you
>should quit.
>For example, if I'm a dagger spec rager who doesn't want to
>fight an AP, I can still retrieve by silent runs. Or jump on
>him here and there and retreat if he is prepared.
>Sure, sometimes it may go wrong and I may die. But chances are
>that in most cases I will made it out alive and with my item.
>Being a rager has a significant advantage. You can actually
>risk with your life because death is not that costly.
>Think about it in terms of "pot odds" in the poker. An AP with
>a big unholy has a lot to lose, so when he enters a fight with
>5% of death he is actually "risks" much more than a rager who
>enters a fight with 60% probability of death.

I agree with you in principle that you can't win or catch your enemy making a mistake if you don't try (thus, people being impressed when someone both rolls the dice on that and makes it work), and I've played A-P with hundreds of charges on an unholy, so I see that angle, too.

That being said, you certainly didn't get into a lot of fights that gave you even a 5% chance of death. I didn't personally see you in a single fight that I would characterize as even a realistic 1% chance of death (and I wouldn't characterize losing your big unholy to a single shifter to be such a fight, even though you did in fact get unlucky there and lose it), though I'm sure there must have been some.

It makes sense to try to fight people and hope the stars align just right, but there comes a point where your enemy is so conservative and takes so few real risks that it isn't even fun to try. I don't fault you for playing that well/defensively, but I also can't fault anyone who didn't want to fight you. I wouldn't have wanted to.