Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(AGE DEATH) [HERALD] Etielise Elwade the Soul of the Monarch, High Herald of the Eternal Star
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=74692
74692, (AGE DEATH) [HERALD] Etielise Elwade the Soul of the Monarch, High Herald of the Eternal Star
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Wed Dec 3 00:15:35 2008

At 9 o'clock PM, Day of the Bull, 15th of the Month of Nature
on the Theran calendar Etielise perished, never to return.
Race:elf
Class:shapeshifter
Level:51
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Chaotic
Cabal:HERALD, the Heralds of the Eternal Star
Hours:825
74868, It was fun.
Posted by Isendor on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Ettie! I enjoyed our interactions. The whole stuffy paladin who wants to protect you vs the uppity herald who resents it thing was a lot of fun! I wonder how much gold we collected together. Good times.
74773, <.< Took long enough!
Posted by Tubnic on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You tended to get on my nerves :p Good job with the character though, good luck with life (I'm in about the same position, joyness) and yeah, have fun *waves*
74790, RE: <.< Took long enough!
Posted by Etielise on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>You tended to get on my nerves

You too, you poophead. I'm biased, you know. I'm anti-stuffy-Herald. Tubby was the High Chancellor of Stuffy.
74750, Wow. Way to go.
Posted by Forsakenz on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I interacted a bit with you, not enough to really warrant posting on your battlefield, but anyone that plays as well and as devoted to a char as you did deserves some kudos. Great job. Age deathing a leader char is always incredible to see.
74734, Someone buy my PBF? Please?
I'll let you be my friend.
74735, Got it.
Posted by Ryasyn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Mmm, bye bye tomorrow's lunch.

As I said before, you were just an awesome character to be around. Thanks for showing me around as Ryasyn and uh...paladinguy. You were funny and great for both of them.
74788, RE: Got it.
You rule. Thanks a million.

Ryasyn made playing Etielise a lot more fun than it would've been otherwise. Herald banter is wonderful.
74699, RE: (AGE DEATH) [HERALD] Etielise Elwade the Soul of the Monarch, High Herald of the Eternal Star
Posted by Tlingit on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Great job with a great char, I had a lot of fun talking to you and interacting with you. I hope to see you again in the fields.
74730, RE: (AGE DEATH) [HERALD] Etielise Elwade the Soul of the Monarch, High Herald of the Eternal Star
You IMMed! And you were all, "I wonder which of us will die first."

Told you it'd be me. :P

Good luck on the staff!
74694, Holy crap did that take forever. (warning: long)
Posted by Ettie on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
This was the first character I bothered to put any effort into in a very long time. I sort of dropped off the face of CF for a variety of reasons: terrible breakup, moving to a new apartment, getting a new job with ####ty hours from hell. After all that I found CF oddly lacking in ability to hold my attention, then came City of Heroes and WoW.

At the beginning, I never really had any intentions for Etielise other than wanting to test out having an odd, quirky, improbable role and seeing if the character could get close enough to any other characters to let spill what she was. Herald sort of just happened when I was in the Inn at random one night and saw Iunna induct somebody. And I'm like, "#### yeah. I'm a perma-Herald and I'm totally okay with that. It's on!" All of a sudden I'm adding this deep and meaningful Heraldy chapter to my role and writing a Herald app. Then all of a sudden I'm a Herald. THEN all of a sudden I'm High Herald. It sucked pretty hard to be the ONLY mortal Herald around for such a long time, but I hope I was able to revive the cabal somewhat. I noticed it seems a lot harder these days to find active, dedicated Heralds, but the few I did manage to induct really helped to breathe life into the cabal AND into my character as well.

My stick-aroundy-ness was almost certainly sealed when I won the role contest. The hummingbird, I thought, was highly appropriate, and it came in pretty handy. I remember a couple people I was ranking with saying that it dodged better than a mongoose? I'm personally not sure how accurate that is, mostly because Etielise is the first shifter I've ever played to hero. First magic class of any sort that I've ever played past the 30's ranks, actually, and I think I might actually like shifters more than bards (!!!). All I know is I was tanking on Calandaryl at level 40 with the hummingbird and I felt awesome. Anyway, thank you (Daevryn, Baerinika) for the wonderful extra form.

I like to think I improved a great deal in role writing and keeping up with events in this character's life than I have with past ones. It gave me a bit of a challenge to have to keep thinking, okay, what would Etielise do if she was a real person? This ended up with a lot of results that were a little crazy, which I had a hard time justifying in a role written in first person because my character really wouldn't be aware of that about herself. She wasn't raised as an Elf. She really wasn't *raised* at all, and maybe it made her a little bonkers, or maybe it was the fact that she could tank Calandaryl at level 40.

Eventually, though, and I hope it didn't show too much... I noticed my hours getting up toward the seven, then eight hundreds and I was like, okay--die. Every logon, I was expecting it, so I ended up doing a lot of Inn-sitting and feeling a little bored because Herald's weak right now, not for lack of trying. I inducted a few decent new Heralds, and if they'd just log in more, things would be dandy.

Goodbyes:

Thanks to various immortals:

Iunna: Thank you for the induct, the High Heralding, and for just general be-there-ness. In a lot of ways, I have you in particular to thank for how much I enjoyed this character. There's five imaginary bucks in it for you if you pretend that, "death to Satebos because I was too stupid to try and op n, op s, op e, op w," never happened. Once I figured out I was being watched a lot more often than I ever imagined I might've been with other characters, I decided I'd try and really be gung-ho with my role and age die, and just see where that would get me in the end. I hope I outdid all my others. I also hope I played out the tattoo thing in the direction you were trying to take me. I tried a Shazirah follower before with Ioniyeh and you just intimidated the hell out of me (nothing personal--all imms did at that point, and maybe they still kinda do) so I kind of shut off and didn't try to explore the religion. With this, I looked up the old Shaz helpfile on Dios and tried to sound like I sort of knew what was going on via whispers of the past and such.

Beroxxus: Being tortured by you actually gave me a way to seek out the Monarch/mirage/Shaz thing when I found myself in the confusing spot of, "okay, what do I do to RP this mystery religion thing out now?" Getting messed up and having my spirit crushed, especially after what I'd done to try and save Celenai (the humming to her part) really gave me what I think was a neat angle to approach the butterfly/mystery tattoo immteraction scenario further with, even if Neltouda did come in and fix it all with her magical violin. :D

Lyristeon: Thanks for the sweet loot. Nearly cried when I lost it, but I'm glad I could help in my own little non-fibbing way. Old Etie had a special place in her heart for mischief, maybe that's why she did it. Oh, and the debate was fun, too, but you have a filthy mouth. ;)

Neltouda: NEAT! Thank you for giving attention to my plight! I'm really glad you're so active. I just know a more visible Imm presence is going to help the Heralds out a lot. And your religion is massively cool. I'm definitely going to have a follower some day. Who knows, maybe I can come up with a decently applicable role for my next one! I've been completely re-addicted, and I can only hope at having such a cool experience in the characters that follow.

As for mortal goodbyes, there are kind of a lot of you to remember and I have a few written, so I'll reply to whoever posts or post whatever I come up with in the next couple days.
74695, Well that just bites.
Posted by Alietrius on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Certainly am going to miss you around the Inn and the chatter on CB. Didn't get out too many times to have fun and explore with you, but when we did, it made my night. You were a great presence at the Inn and it certainly will be hard replacing you, I think.

As I got to say before you went out in a blaze (literally), you were *my* High Herald and I'm grateful to have been a Herald with you at the helm. Even if you don't come back to the cabal with your next, I think you did your best with the cabal and the issue with the numbers isn't really in your control.

Wrapping up, just wanted to thank you for all the fun you created for me. Good luck with your next!
74724, RE: Well that just bites.
It makes me happy that I contributed to someone's enjoyment of the MUD. I would've liked to have more adventures together, but it seemed almost like you were inducted, heroed, and then IMMed all in the span of no time at all. Even so, I think you'll make a great addition to the staff, so congratulations on that!
74696, terrible loss for the whole mud. GREAT job ~
Posted by Foolio on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
74698, So you didn't outlive me, at least ;)
Posted by Saerali. on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Well done to you. Etie was one of my favourite characters, and not only because of the Herald-Fort thing - I honestly don't know how you were so *nice* to so many people for so long! You've done a phenomenal amount for the Heralds.

Heh, I'm sitting here thinking about the exploring we did. When the new dragon lairs went in, I remember thinking it's a shame we didn't have Ryasyn, or the four of us could have gone and had a picnic somewhere else interesting ;) Traveling with you was always a blast, even with the whole shifter no-talking thing. I'm only sorry I couldn't make it to more of your Heraldy events - you always seemed to have them while I was at work *peer*

You were very good for Saer too...helped her a ton at times. More on that when she goes - thanks, though!

Hope to run into you in a fire somewhere...
74725, RE: So you didn't outlive me, at least ;)
Even I don't know how I was that nice. Player-me is a terrible, awful, malicious person. :P

As for our interactions, I was inspired by one conversation in particular that we had to make up part of an addition to my role, so it's safe to say that Saerali was influential to Ettie.

Oh, one more thing:

Saerali says 'I'm going on a picnic, and I'm taking an armadillo, a baby, a cat, a drink, an elephant, a fern, a goose, a herring, an icicle, a jump rope, a kettle, a leg, a melon, nothing, odor and a parrot.'
You say 'More mouths to feed.'
Ryasyn says 'What's the parrot going to eat?!'
Saerali says 'Yes, but it will make conversation...and I'm sure it likes melon.'
You say 'A melon only goes so far.'
Ryasyn says 'Elephants eat melon.'
Saerali says 'We could bring more than one.'
You say 'Unless you're going to eat the goose.'
Ryasyn says 'SHHHHH!'
Ryasyn says to a golden duck 'No, no, nothing of the sort.'
Saerali says 'Well, I didn't say I was bringing the goose as a guest...'
Ryasyn says to a golden duck 'It's alright, go to sleep.'
You say 'He knows he isn't a goose.'
You say 'And he eats chicken.'
Ryasyn says 'He has cousins.'

And so on and so forth... :P
74731, RE: So you didn't outlive me, at least ;)
Posted by Saerali. on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You logged it!! I'm so copying and keeping that... What's sad is I even remember that that was the hell trip, not the Octagonal Tower picnic. You and Ryasyn are such a bad influence ;)

Oddly enough, I'm fairly nasty and malicious IRL too...maybe it's the contrast that makes it possible to play. *nod self*

*hugs* see you out there.
74704, RE: Holy crap did that take forever. (warning: long)
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>Anyway, thank you (Daevryn, Baerinika) for the
>wonderful extra form.

You're welcome. Nice character, and I hope you had fun.
74708, RE: Holy crap did that take forever. (warning: long)
Posted by Baerinika on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I really liked Etie from the role to actually playing Sharri with her to hanging out with one of my imm personas in the Inn. Good luck on your next, play a Fortie. :)
74709, RE: Holy crap did that take forever. (warning: long)
Posted by Iunna on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>Iunna: Thank you for the induct, the High Heralding, and for
>just general be-there-ness. In a lot of ways, I have you in
>particular to thank for how much I enjoyed this character.
>There's five imaginary bucks in it for you if you pretend
>that, "death to Satebos because I was too stupid to try and op
>n, op s, op e, op w," never happened. Once I figured out I
>was being watched a lot more often than I ever imagined I
>might've been with other characters, I decided I'd try and
>really be gung-ho with my role and age die, and just see where
>that would get me in the end. I hope I outdid all my others.
>I also hope I played out the tattoo thing in the direction you
>were trying to take me. I tried a Shazirah follower before
>with Ioniyeh and you just intimidated the hell out of me
>(nothing personal--all imms did at that point, and maybe they
>still kinda do) so I kind of shut off and didn't try to
>explore the religion. With this, I looked up the old Shaz
>helpfile on Dios and tried to sound like I sort of knew what
>was going on via whispers of the past and such.

I thought you did a great job with everything, and even make me want
to play a Herald (I just don't have the time, bleh). My first thought about
Etie though is that I feel bad I didn't do more with you on the Shaz front.
I wasn't really trying to lead you in a specific direction and maybe I should
have; that probably would've been more fun for you. You just seemed the
right character for it. Anyway, kudos on the age death; that's a tough thing
to pull off. Roll another Herald too. I need someone to induct mine. ;)

"My soul is painted like the wings of butterflies
Fairytales of yesterday will grow but never die
I can fly, my friends."

-Queen, The Show Must Go On
74729, RE: Holy crap did that take forever. (warning: long)
If you remember my past characters, you know good and well I'm a die-hard perma-Herald. I'll be back in some incarnation sooner or later. :P
74715, RE: Holy crap did that take forever. (warning: long)
Posted by Zanarlok on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Was great interacting with you even being unable to speak or hear you. Good luck with you next.
74726, RE: Holy crap did that take forever. (warning: long)
*sniff*

I was sad when you disappeared. It was great always being able to count on you to show up for events!
74719, I really liked your RP.
Posted by Cormindon on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I hope you stick around for a while.
This mud does need people who can really RP.
From all that I saw of Ettie, I think you probably can RP well,
try something drastically different next time. I'm thinking you
can do it well.

Please tell me your sticking around.
I know what its like to play with ####ty hours but I keep at it.
Sometimes I need to take two weeks off to get stuff done but I continue on.
I hope you keep seeing you around.
Good luck with your next.

-Zephon

PS. You play WoW? :P
74728, RE: I really liked your RP.
I hope my post didn't sound like I might be quitting. Far, far from it. I've already got my new character rolled up and gunning for greatness. :P

RE: PS: Not any more. Though Wrath of the Lich King has been tempting me with its slimy tendrils ever since it came out.

It's a good thing I'm poor.
74720, Humph!
Posted by Zizzle on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
...and Bah Humbug! Whose tale-telling tourneys am I going to win now? I can't keep winning my own--people will think it's rigged!

Thanks for the stump and the fat purses of gold!

Yours,
/s/ Doctor Zizzle Ziff, Dictator of Discourse and Quotable Contest Carbuncle
74727, RE: Humph!
I flat out love your character. I like the concept, I like the execution, I like the logs I see posted. I liked my action figure. Ever time I saw you around I thought, "he must be having the time of his life with this." I hope you are, and I hope you keep Zizzle around for a long time.
74733, I do not!
Posted by Lyristeon on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I am just misunderstood. ;)
74736, 4 words...
Posted by Edika on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I WILL MISS YOU...Thats is to say the least.

Mrs E, you were one of the finest Heralds I ever interacted with. You inspired me to do more paintings and be around more often. Somehow I don't have the collection anymore (hard-drive crashed). I would log in and see you around, it would just brighten my day. At times I tried to match the timing so I would be around when you were. Steller RP, loved it.

Thank you for inducting me. I sure will miss you.
74783, RE: 4 words...
I was pretty hard on you, and I quickly realized it was unfair, but your in-game typing was pretty terrible, so I immediately thought, "Oh, she's a big noob." I don't think that's the case, since I've seen that you know the game rather well, but out of curiosity, do you use raw telnet to play or are you ESL? Either one of those I understand. I hope there are no hard feelings for all the extra #### I made you do and the long wait on being a Herald. I just have a mild typing Nazi thing going on. You've turned out to be spectacular as a Herald--the cabal needs people who will actually play with regularity. I'm glad Etielise was inspiring to you. :D Keep Edika around!
74738, RE: Holy crap did that take forever. (warning: long)
Posted by Borom on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Borom had loads of respect for you, and genuinely tried his best to balance out his teasing with subtle shows of affection and appreciation. You were the best High Herald a dwarf could ask for, and I loved watching you charge around Thera after one thing or another.

I hope shifter worked out for you, and for heavens sakes, roll another Herald.
74785, RE: Holy crap did that take forever. (warning: long)
I absolutely adored the moniker Mrs. E. When you started calling Ettie that it completely changed my mental image of Borom. I started seeing in my mind a Dwarf with a skateboard coming to raid the Inn for the Sunny D. Or maybe it was Capri Sun. Hmm. Pizza bagels? Now I just don't know! Anyway, then it caught on with Edika, too. I was kinda hoping it'd spread more.

I ended up keeping all of Borom's little gifts until age-death. That chest I had? Its contents were on the verge of .

As for playing shifters, now that I know I can actually have *fun* with a mage class, I'm liable to try them out again. My forms were retardedly awesome, too, so there's that.
74754, Oh no!
Posted by Celenai on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I just got back! Well, I'm glad I saw you one last time at least. I remember when you first inducted me, thinking, really? It's just you and me? Le sigh.. Celenai will miss you so much. You were her best friend, she had way too much fun with you. I'm not sure what my favorite interaction with you was, but I thoroughly enjoyed all of it.
74786, RE: Oh no!
Celenai, Celenai. I'm so glad Ettie got to keep one old friend until she croaked. Because you were Ettie's best female friend, I was really wanting to spill some of my role to you, but the right time never seemed to arrive. I know you'll make an awesome High Herald, too. I hope you can do what I did sorta in the middle of Etielise's life and really revive Herald. It sure needs it right now.

As a kind of weird aside, I have your induction logged. I sort of intended to log everyone's but I only have yours. :P And it serves to remind me that Celenai is like, totally the absolute cutest character of all time.

You say 'A good Herald is a well rounded Herald. One who can contribute more than simply to their area of expertise.'
Looking more attentive, Celenai listens closely to you.
You say 'Considering this, I wish for you to improvise...'
You say 'A short tale about...'
Trying to help your thoughts come together, you scratch your cheek.
Etielise rummages through her bag
You say 'Aha.'
You get a fine bottle of aged red wine from a large saddle bag.
You say 'This.'
You give a fine bottle of aged red wine to Celenai.
You say 'Anything you wish, as long as that bottle of wine ties it together.'
Celenai says 'Well, the funny thing about this wine..'
Celenai says 'Is that it was aged in the basement of a fanatical Gnome.'
You say 'Ahh gnomes.'
Celenai says 'You see, this Gnome believed that red wine could make one taller.'
You say 'Well he's crazy!'
You chuckle politely.
Celenai says 'But only if you drank it on a night, when stars of the lotus constellation shone brightly.'
Celenai says 'Well, when he deemed the wine ready to drink, he waited for the lotus
Celenai says 'By the time he noticed the lotus shining, he ran to his basement, but the wine was gone!'
You blink several times.
Celenai says 'He searched the lands, looking for this bottle of wine, and when he found it, it was in the hands of a Giant.'
You say 'Tsynr must've stolen it. That's why he's so sloppy drunk.'
You say 'Oh, never mind.'
Celenai giggles with pleasure.
Celenai says 'Well, he proclaimed the Giant didn't need the wine, being so large already, but the Giant had no time for superstitions.'
Celenai says 'He guzzled the wine, right in front of the poor Gnome, the Gnome cast his gaze upward, to watch his precious wine disappearing.'
Celenai says 'Then he noticed something.. the lotus constellation had disappeared, and instead the crab shone brightly.'
Celenai says 'At that moment, the Giant's body stretched and twisted, and he became an eel.'
You chuckle politely.
Celenai says 'The Gnome took this eel and put it on a mantle. Under it he inscribed the words..'
Celenai says 'Don't take my wine, you slimey thieves.'
Celenai looks a little sheepish.

The rest of it went like this, induct celenai herald.
74796, RE: Oh no!
Posted by Celenai on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Gods, I had forgotten all about this! This is interesting to see our characters way back then, that really made my day. Thank you so much.

Immediately after you inducted me, you made me feel like a valued member of the Heralds. It really made the whole experience fantastic.

p.s. - That story turned out to be about a wine thief because for some strange reason, I kept laughing to myself about what you would think if, after our whole conversation about being a Herald, I just stold the wine and sprinted out of the Inn like a bat out of hell.
74772, Great Character
Posted by Beroxxus on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
About freaking time you died! Etielise was a great character. I enjoyed interacting with her both as Beroxxus and Eiyanna. It was fun getting a different prespective about the character through a mortal's eyes. I only wish the holidays weren't here and I would have had more time to interact with the character. I hope you'll make another mort and have as much fun. Good luck!

Beroxxus
74778, RE: Holy crap did that take forever. (warning: long)
Posted by Oulo on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I guess you weren't lying. One day you say "i could go at any time." Next day you go. Looking at the amount of hours, i am shocked you were able to keep with it. I really enjoyed our interactions and am more then a bit sad you wont be around, but congrats on the character.
74787, RE: Holy crap did that take forever. (warning: long)
For the love of god, don't crap out on us! You seemed like you were going to be fun, so I'm sorry I'm going to miss that. Good luck with being a Herald!
74896, I loved your character
Posted by Kernagor-Destim on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I loved hanging out with her, and I loved trying to help her out, and I loved watching (and occasionally participate in) your heraldy banter.

Do you still have that child-beating conversation with Ryasyn from Trothon? It was hilarious, and an excellent way to brighten up an otherwise semi-boring dungeon run. I recall most my interactions with you were filled with little positive experiences that made otherwise boring moments much more interesting.

A truly excellent character.
75034, Thank you.
Posted by Wilheim on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Your interactions have somewhat renewed my faith in a cabal I used to be dearly fond of. Your efforts have me thinking of perhaps trying another sometime soon. Thank you for not being obnoxious to the lowbie and for the truly worthwhile stops at the Inn.