Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Mizfara ben-Ashkari the Judge, Jury, and Executioner, Captain of the Brigade
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=70715
70715, (AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Mizfara ben-Ashkari the Judge, Jury, and Executioner, Captain of the Brigade
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Mon Aug 11 21:36:11 2008

At 3 o'clock PM, Day of the Bull, 15th of the Month of the Shadows
on the Theran calendar Mizfara perished, never to return.
Race:felar
Class:assassin
Level:51
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:FORTRESS, the Fortress of Light
Hours:690
70889, Few takeaways from my PBF thread:
Posted by Isildur on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Assuming I sent my note to Fortress at the same time I started my role, which I think is the case, that means:

Time after applying before getting inducted: 9 days, approx. 40 game hours

Time after being inducted before getting promoted: 14 days, 64 game hours

Time after praying before getting tattoo'd: 27 days, approx. 120 game hours

I'm not sure whether these are normal or not, but maybe they could at least be used as a ballpark estimate for how long these things take, assuming your character is doing all the right stuff.

71021, RE: Few takeaways from my PBF thread:
Posted by Lyristeon on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
These are probably not normal hours. These are above average from what I have seen. So yeah, you pretty much have to be doing all of the right stuff for this to happen.
71026, RE: Few takeaways from my PBF thread:
I'm with you on the last two, but the time spent as a Fort app before becoming a Squire seems like a little longer than average.

There were lots of apps who sent a note, then never bothered to get any recommendations. But, of those who eventually got inducted, most of them seemed like they did it in less time than I did.
70813, Another thing....
Posted by Eshval on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Why did you wear all that fur over your body? It made you look like a cat. ;)

Eshval's email (I actually read my emails and answer them!)
eshval@carrionfields.com
BlackMarquessa@gmail.com

Eshval's slightly off-center (unofficial) blog.
http://blackmarquessa.blogspot.com/
70834, RE: Another thing....
i.e. the lack of obviously felar role-play? I tried to explain this in my role a little bit. Basically, Mizfara was educated in Darsylon by elves, with no other felar around to speak of. That doesn't make her as smart as an elf (not by a longshot) but it should probably affect how she talks.
70848, That works
I didn't have the role in front of me, but your basic explanation works fine. Thanks

eshval@carrionfields.com
BlackMarquessa@gmail.com

70772, Opinion
Miz was a cool character and very well-played. You appeared to stick with your role pretty well whenever I was snooping.

Daev mentioned your aloof/solo nature, but I wanted to take it a step further and mention that often when I watched you were pretty much just hiding, sometimes stalking someone while some of the Fort folks were engaged in life and death, and if you broke away from what you were doing, your presence in the combat "might" have had a large impact.

I felt that sometimes you weren't willing to take the big risk, though I could not figure out why. Maybe that was just my biased opinion.

Anyway...I DID like Miz a lot. Come to Scion and let's see what you can do. Based on what I saw, you 'should' be able to play any role.

eshval@carrionfields.com
BlackMarquessa@gmail.com

70811, I'll definatly echo that second to last line there n/t
Posted by Waris on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Seriously
70822, You really shouldn't.
Seriously.
70829, I'll be as nice as I can when I say this
But seriously drink a nice tall glass of STFU.

Miz had not one not two not even three but Four fights off the top of my head where he'd just stuck around for another 2 rounds instead of fleeing at covered in bleeding wounds. I'd be gone and you'd be making inane posts on my graveyard thread instead of his.

Take your flame and cram it up your ass Lyristeon.
70830, Glass houses, stones, etc.
Posted by Daevryn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
But let's all call it a day and save it for your (Waris') deletion.
70831, I fail to see
How its even ok for him to post that kind of garbage. He's just making you (Immortal staff) look like a bunch of jackasses.

Maybe one day I'll take a moment and do a compliation of Lyristons flaming/ridiculous/misinfo/general asshole posts. And we can see who stacks up.
That is, My occassional annoying prayers or his endless garbage littering the forums.
70833, I bet you won't get legacy for your ap =)) n/t
Posted by Elhe on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
n/t
70835, RE: I bet you won't get legacy for your ap =)) n/t
Honestly, it wasn't that overpowered. Nobody ever tried to disarm me. About the only person to make me drop my weapon due to str loss was Kostyan, and he was already gone when I got the legacy. Maybe if I got slept by one of the liches, but in that case, holding on to my sword isn't going to make much difference anyway.
70845, Why do you
trying to defend? :) It's not like I'm asking why Hunsobo got VERY usefull 3rd legacy and Kostyan got unless one. It was just kind of joke about Waris perspectives in getting imm rewards/love :).
70846, RE: Why do you
It sounded like you were suggesting that my getting Fist was a "HUGE" deal and that it shouldn't have hapened.

I just pointed out that, while it is obviously very rare for a non-warrior to get a legacy, in this case I didn't get much practical use out of it. Partly because I was already quite old when I got it, and partly because, like I said, nobody tried to disarm me or reduce my strength to the point where I'd drop a weapon.
70847, Sorry for sounding that way
I was not going and even if you got legacy that could be a huge deal.. I think you deserve it anyway
70836, RE: I fail to see
You also missed my point entirely.

Forget it, it's not worth arguing about at this point.
70838, Clearly
Its early, and Lyristeon really knows how to be a jackass in 5 words or less.

Lets call it a truce.
70894, I posted for the same reason you posted.
But, I will let your PBF do the talking as Daevryn stated. And even if you take out the stuff I put in, there are pages of BLEHNESS from the other imms throughout your entire life span.

And no, I don't flee when I have someone gushing and teleport out when I have 837 hps left.
70895, Oh did you now
Its such a great thing that I was echoing what another Immortal said, and all you've got is an attack on my character.

I'll try and keep short and sweet.
Felar Assassin goodie in a cabal with huge numbers, Time spent regetting 60% of that nice gear? Less than a day, maybe two?

Duergar AP in a cabal with 11 members averaging more like 3, Time spent regearing? Oh. You mean he loses his charges too? Well #### probably A LONG ####ing time possibly never reaching even close to the point he was at as now he is facing the same odds with 0 charges and nothing to speak of.

Therefore it makes every fight a sort of gamble for the Duergar AP.
Do I A. Risk everything for a measly 1 charge? Not to mention risk things like cry of the phoenix, roving flytomurdergnomes with insects, lame bards defended by lamer immortals who like to sleep and gang everything that moves who sits camo the rest of the time when not ganging.

Or.... B. Flee and teleport at 800 hp live to fight another day and possibly kill someone later that evening, like Mizfara instead who was worth 5 charges.. and continue playing my character...

I think I'll play my AP the way I want to play it, your condenscension is noted and disregarded.

And if I want to make comment on a long time foes death thread. I'm going to do that, and I can possibly expect a reply from that player or possibly other players. I'd not expect the Immortals of CF, or I should say. A certain immortal to post retarded ass 1 liners that attempt to paint me in a bad light.

Anyway. The short of it. Apples to Oranges. Or classy immortals to lame immortals.
70904, RE: Oh did you now
>Felar Assassin goodie in a cabal with huge numbers, Time spent
>regetting 60% of that nice gear? Less than a day, maybe two?

For what it's worth, the last couple times I died I ended up losing gear that I never saw again. Lost helm of brilliance when I fought Karjiin and died. Lost my wide coppers when I died to a pack of ragers outside the fort. Minvil took my golden dragonscale leggings one time when I died to you and Kharnial at the Fort.

Given how squeamish I was about killing the felar bandit chief and shaman, getting back my body wear, front- and rear-claw extensions could also be problematic.

Obviously the stuff you're wearing would be a lot harder (read: impossible) to replace, even ignoring the unholy weapon.

>Duergar AP in a cabal with 11 members averaging more like 3

I don't think numbers are all that important unless you're talking about getting really riduculous stuff. You, Kharnial and Sarach, or maybe some conscripted gnome invoker, could make more headway in Hell than I could with four fort guys at my back.

We didn't have a bard or invoker. We only recently got a healer, and I think he's still fairly low ranking. The muter just deleted. So basically you're talking about Mizfara and a bunch of warriors and paladins.

>Therefore it makes every fight a sort of gamble for the
>Duergar AP.

It's also worth noting that if I die to you, I'm directly fueling your weapon. That's totally unacceptable to Mizfara from a role-play point of view. All else being equal, I would be willing to take more risks against a Kharnial or Krikar than I would a Waris, because if I die to one of them all they get is my gear (most of which would be useless to them).
70908, A few points I feel like addressing
Posted by Random Person on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
1) regearing when there are a lot of hero goodies in range is harder, not easier. All the best limited request gear is taken by people you can't kill.

2) I'm sure you aren't complaining about the numbers when fortnewb #1293810928402847 feeds your weapon yet again. It isn't Aeria to Cabdru level feed, but I'm sure it builds up over time.

3) I doubt they would full loot you, unless you have made a repeated effort to full loot them when they die to you. Sure, you'd be almost guranteed to lose your weapon and a few pieces of gear which would be extremely difficult for you to get again, which would probably suck more for an ap than any loot. But you'd still have your controls. I distinctly recall Kharghurln building 2-3 substantial unholies during his lifetime. And from what I've seen, you are a skilled, knowledgeable, and conservative player. I don't think you are on the verge of con loss. You would probably be able to build another weapon after losing yours, if you really wanted to.
70913, Not that you asked for my opinion...
Essentially: I agree that "very conservative" (my "educated" opinion) is a more than viable A-P playstyle.

However, I think it's tacky to bash a much less conservative character for playing conservatively at times, even if you (for whatever reason, possibly justifiable) feel that your own conservatism is more appropriate.

If you don't see how that could possibly rub another player (in this case, Lyristeon) the wrong way and produce a not-unreasonable "You did not just say that!" reaction, then we're at an impasse.
70915, Thats the difference,
And why I'm so pissed.

Saying, You did not just say that, or similiar would be slightly different than simply attempting to paint me in a bad light.

We both know that.

He has a right to his opinion. He can, like even me. Refrain from being a total ass when expressing it.
70917, Read: slightly = alot n/t
And why I'm so pissed.

Saying, You did not just say that, or similiar would be ALOT different than simply attempting to paint me in a bad light.

We both know that.

He has a right to his opinion. He can, like even me. Refrain from being a total ass when expressing it.
70978, This whole argument reminds me of Shoot em Up
Posted by Raknar on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Specifically the sequence where the bad guy says are you a tough guy or just a #### with a gun in his hand. Your limitted gambling conservative style to playing an a-p will sure reward you with a big gun in your hand. But at the end of the day you will still be a #### with a gun in your hand. Now you could try and be like kharghurln was and mix it up, loose a gun or two and keep spitting out new ones like a tough guy with a #### in his hand.

Your capable of being the tough guy if you want to. Just building the weapon doesn't matter, its how you build it that gets you respect. Do you want to be remembered as a kharg or a ravon?
70903, RE: Oh did you now
>Its such a great thing that I was echoing what another
>Immortal said, and all you've got is an attack on my
>character.

Sorry, but, you must have misunderstood what I was saying. I was not implying that Eshval was wrong. I just found it silly that you chimed in there based upon your own actions.
70910, Don't you think thats in really poor taste for an Imm on officials?
Posted by Lhydia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I read that last comment and laughed, because I can't stand Waris, but really, how isn't that character assassination? I didn't know he was such a #### until you pointed it out. I actually thought he was kinda hardcore and scary. I'm seeing him as less than I used to because of your flame, not that I won't die any quicker. Now anyone can point to the leader of Scion IC and be like..hahaha, dude, don't try to be hardcore, we all know what you did. I'm not even a hardcore I hate Lyristeon guy like all those folks, but eesh.

I'm just sayin'.
71016, Shouldn't imms be held to a higher standard?
Posted by Immtastic on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Not to begrudge your defense of Mizfara, which I think was somewhat appropriate, but this exact post makes me go bleh.

Instead of defending Miz, you attacked Waris' character. I thought imms were usually above this, or at the very least should hold themselves to a standard above this, especially since Waris is an active character.
71029, Yea, uncalled for. n/t
Posted by Stunna1 on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
asf
71028, Jerkish Imms: Loudness... reduce. Yea.
Posted by Stunna1 on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Have to admit, I agree with him. There was no point for Lyr to chime in with this flamatory garbage.
70832, RE: I'll be as nice as I can when I say this
I only remember one such fight, and even then it's debatable whether I should have stuck around. Here are the close ones I remember:

1. On the river when we fought solo. If I remember correctly, you fled first and teleported.

2. On the Bramblefield, me and Iltanthal vs. you. Iltanthal missed disembowel, I missed phoenix kick, you fled and teleported.

3. In the Araille, with me, Humbert, Llondolis and Iltanthal vs. you. I fled with like 200hp, ate some pills, then came back. Then I think I ate another couple big hits, Humbert died, and I got out.

Really, #3 is the only one I can think of where you might have gone down if I'd just stuck around. Maybe there are others I'm forgetting?
70837, RE: I'll be as nice as I can when I say this
There was a raid where you fleed once instead of throwing me
I think it was at the fort you looked to be covered and went into the inner maybe you had less HP than I thought but I was certain I was dead that time. Infact I think I went AFK to smoke a cig after that 110 hp escape.

With araille I really thought you had waay more HP I could have sworn I only hit you a handfull of times and you literally ran out like 3 rounds before I was about to go down. 213 hp escape!

It just seemed to me alot that you ran out on gangs when if you'd just stuck around one more round and RPKed-thrown you would have gotten me, atleast to my perspective. Maybe I'm wrong, but thats how it seemed to be, hence me echoing Eshvals opinion.

And as an aside I liked Miz later in life (Maybe in the early days of our fighting I might have gotten spiteful had I gotten you, but by the time I turned the tables on you I felt differently). Even if you were my bane with searing light and heartseekers for most of my life.
70839, RE: I'll be as nice as I can when I say this
I didn't like Waris early on, then warmed to you later. Mainly because you seemed to have the same sort of "borderline delusional" type role-play as Kostyan. Two or three instances come to mind:

1. In arial city. I show up. You tell me not to waste my preps, because you're just going to teleport if I attack your guild. I do, you teleport, and then call me a coward. I was just flabbergasted by this. I came at you solo, with you having plenty of time to prep, and putting myself at a disadvantage by fighting your guild guard. You leave, then call me a coward? I'm not saying it was a good match up for you, even with the time to prep, but still...nothing I did in that scenario was cowardly, and arguably what you did was.

2. At the chasm, in the 30s, I was retrieving. We fought at the nightwalker, you fled back inside to heal. You came back, we fought some more, you fled again. I retrieved. Then you sent me some tell like, "Bet you think you're hot stuff, huh?"

3. On one occasion, scions were on in force and you guys took the orb. I was scouting to see who was in the chasm, and you noticed. I decided not to attempt it. You sent me some tell about how I was spineless for not attacking. Wtf? You think I'm going to be able to retrieve, solo, against you? I don't remember which fort guys were online at the time, but I recall that it wasn't enough to prevent you from just taking the orb again. If we were going to have any chance of keeping it then I needed to take it silently, which meant nobody had to be home. Once you saw me, that plan was ruined, so there was little reason for me to stay.

So, initially I thought it was you, the player, being a delusional blowhard. Sort of like I thought with Kostyan. Then, based on some of your forum postings and other things you did, I decided that you were just role-playing a delusional blowhard, which made me like the character a little better.
70896, RE: I'll be as nice as I can when I say this
Thank you, I think your the only person who realises. 90% of what comes out of Waris's mouth is purely Waris. Almost every bit of that was ment to rub you the wrong way.

Anyway, I enjoyed your character. One of the few people that I felt really stood a chance against me 1 vs 1

I'm sorry that your thread turned into a pissing contest between me and the retard in blue.

I would say you should sign on aim if you still do, sometime. And that I'd hit you up. But I must have removed your nick or something...
So I'll probably just suprise you instead.
70898, You have the log in Azuremaine...
Posted by Myn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Where it was like 4 on 4 or close to...Kharnial reverted and worded you. Thought that was a good fight anyhow...

70902, RE: You have the log in Azuremaine...
No. Probably not, I'm terrible about logging things, absoluty horrible.
But that fight was funny, I was trying SO hard to kill Cormindion.
I think I made it out with 100~ hp had Ilanthal disembowled instead of pincered....
70850, Your opinions
Your opinions do not mirror mine. I just thought the character was conservative. I feel you take the idea somewhat beyond my comment.

eshval@carrionfields.com
BlackMarquessa@gmail.com

70897, I wouldn't expect them to
I'm sure you felt the way you did about him in a completely different meaning.

I just felt he was always bailing out of fights he ~Might~ have died in, when the certainty of killing me was very high had he stayed.
70906, If your not bailing why shouldnt they?
Posted by CraftedD on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

General rule of thumb is.. if beefy AP isnt running and staying to fight... especially with despoil and a ton of hps... why should I feel overly confident this battle is mine if i'm already thinking of bailing myself?
70842, Umm, did you even know what sentence he is talking about?
Posted by DaBull on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Because you really shouldn't be an ass just because you can.

It makes you look like a tool.
70843, You are both tools!!!!!! Yay!
Because the second to last line or sentence is 'Come to Scions' or whatever.

Unless both of you meant something else.

I may be the tool. :(
70852, Pfft
What I intended was that a player of this caliber would be welcome in Scion's ranks.

You bunch of goofs.

Also, to the player, not the character...that you didn't use the forums as an instrument to verbally bash anyone who criticized you is commendable. Thanks.

eshval@carrionfields.com
BlackMarquessa@gmail.com

70890, RE: Pfft
Posted by lurker on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>
>Also, to the player, not the character...that you didn't use
>the forums as an instrument to verbally bash anyone who
>criticized you is commendable. Thanks.
>

That wouldn't be Isildur's style. Player and character, he's one of the few that always come off as a class act.
70844, RE: Umm, did you even know what sentence he is talking about?
edit: fixed my faux-HTML italics tags.

I originally took it to be this:

come to Scion and let's see what you can do.

which no one would jump on.

But based on further Waris posts it seems it's pretty clearly this:

I felt that sometimes you weren't willing to take the big risk, though I could not figure out why. Maybe that was just my biased opinion.

Which, depending on your perspective, someone could legitimately jump on.
70880, He said line. Not sentance.
Posted by CraftedD on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

When I observed each line... I got the same one Lyr did. Which was just what Waris was meaning.

70909, I like that thread
Posted by Dwoggurd on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Things finally become funny.
I really hope Valg is on vacation.
70745, Another one bites the dust...
Posted by Saerali on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Not that we ever interacted much, but the Fortress needed (and needs) people like you. Good job, from my point of view at least :)
70742, I'll say it again...
Posted by Twist on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
From my own goodbye thread for Galtholnicus: "You (the player) make this game great."

Good luck with your next, may it be as successful as this one.
70733, A happy day for Kreo, a dark day for CF... heh
Posted by Kreo on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Kreo couldn't be more thrilled to see you gone. Man, you're the only one that ever killed Kreo more than once. Two of the times though you cought me afk, thanks for leaving my stuff those two times. Though I doubt I would have gotten away from you anyways.

Cool char, I've met with Mizfara with several other chars. Always a pleasure, and a pain pk-wise. heh

Keep it up, can't wait to see your next char!
70719, RE: (AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Mizfara ben-Ashkari the Judge, Jury, and Executioner, Captain of the Brigade
Whew. What a ride.

I think I rolled Mizfara around November of last year, after deleting my cloud giant Nexus wannabe Oshinohe. Interestingly enough, Oshinohe's deletion was brought on by him dying to none other than...Macha. I was killing elves at the time, so no hard feelings there.

Two things bugged me about Oshinohe that ended up influencing how I played Mizfara. One was that I had made a conscious choice with Oshinohe to avoid intentionally practicing skills, so I tended to get rocked by people who had. The other was that, with a neutral character, I really missed having a well-defined set of enemies. I ended up getting attacked by people because I gave them the benefit of the doubt, thinking they wouldn't attack a neutral guy who had never bothered them before. Big mistake!

So, the whole "judge the wicked" aspect of Mizfara was there in my mind from the very beginning, even if I didn't codify it in my role until much later. Mostly, during the first phase of Mizfara's life, all I did is solo rank, spam up skills and kill people. Most of this took place prior to 35, so I wasn't just level sitting to work on assassinate as some people suggested at the time. I actually solo ranked up to level 37 before breaking down and starting to group with people, so the level sitting wasn't exactly intentional outside the decision to solo rank.

At some point, though, I looked at my score sheet and realized that I'd just spent a significant portion of Mizfara's life with no role and really very little interaction with anyone outside of killing evil people. So in a single session I added my role, sent my application note to the Fortress, and started praying at Marcatis's shrine. At the time, I was worried that this would be frowned upon, since I had "all of a sudden" transitioned into role-play mode. But apparently it wasn't a big deal.

This second period of Mizfara's life centered around Marcatis. I've been tattoo'd by Bria, Daevryn, and Vynmylak, and this was by far the most effort I've ever put into earning a tattoo. Not that I'm complaining at all. I have to say, though, it was a little mind-blowing to discuss epistemology in the context of an online text-based game. Fun times. During this phase I was still playing from work (bad idea!) so I was able to interact with Marcatis fairly often. Some time after that I quit playing from work, so we didn't see as much of each other. I felt a little bad, after having interacted so heavily before, but there wasn't anything I could do about it.

Next came the Captain phase. I'm sure many people disliked the way I tried to legislate Fortress behavior, but now I can at least explain what I was trying to achieve. Basically, I felt like there were a lot of people in the cabal who, while they didn't exhibit punishable goodie role-play, really weren't playing "above the bar" when it came to their alignment. Basically they were just like every other goodie, except they had cabal powers and occasionally had to raid and defend. So my goal was to assign some sort of "cost" to joining the Fort other than the basic cabal stuff. The things I picked (killing neutrals, being a wanton criminal) matched up with my personal feelings about how goodies should be role-played. Some people didn't agree, but hey...I'm the Captain.

Another thing I tried to do was give people in depth induction interviews. I was sort of "into" this early on and grilled people probably more than they (or I) really wanted. But as I kept doing interview after interview, most of the time with no Marshall, meaning I was interviewing every new squire, I started to get sick of the induction process. This, coupled with the fact that the Fortress was at or above the population of almost every other cabal, led me to be a little more strict about who I talked to, and not seek people out as actively as I had before. Toward the very end, when I knew age death was approaching, I just sort of phoned it in on the whole induction thing and left it all up to Humbert. Sorry Humbert!

While I'm confessing stuff, I want to come clean about some stuff I noticed that maybe nobody else did:

* I patronized evil town healers, pretty much with impunity. Mizfara probably should have had a problem with this, but I just couldn't bring myself to give up the ability to "heal heal" wherever I wanted.

* When I was in the teens, I practiced disarm on neutral mobs. This totally contradicted the stance I took later in life. I rationalized it as youthful indiscretion.

* I was a bit of an xp whore when it came to quests run by Lyristeon, who is evil. Really, I should probably have refused to participate solely on the basis that he was an evil god. But...quests are fun.

* For the vast majority of Mizfara's life I made a point of not killing the felar chief and/or shaman for gear. Usually I had their gear anyways, either given to me or taken off someone's corpse. At some point, though, when I lost all my gear to a crash, I said "screw it" and killed them both. I'm a bad person. :)

* Lots of times I declined to enter fights between a fort person (who couldn't detect hidden) and someone else, usually because I was stalking the person they were fighting. A couple of people probably died because I failed to jump in. I don't feel too badly about this, since ideally a Squire or Maran should be able to fend for himself, and by not participating hopefully I was giving somebody a fun one-on-one fight instead of a gank. But, I can see how a snooping imm might give me low marks for not jumping in to aid a cabal mate.

Various other observations:

* The fact that zeal/ferocity/feralgrowl all conflict with martial trance was so, so annoying. I'd see somebody, then have to duck out of area and trance, zeal, ferocity, growl. Maybe add an edge to let people trance through these?

* It's damn hard to find opportunities to assassinate people as a goodie hero. The lower player count makes it hard for all assassins, but it's even worse for goodies, and worse still for a goodie who can only play during my hours. Thieves and assassins generally trend towards evil, then there are all the duergar. If your target doesn't fall into one of those categories, then he's probably grouped with someone who does.

* Assassins should be able to vanish while inside a cabal. I can't see any reason to nerf that particular skill, when word/teleport both work.

* Trance is really nice, but I could never really see the case for using it after I'd stalked someone. If I actually had stalks, it always seemed like a better idea to just try the assassinate.

* The whole pendulum thing is worse right now than I've ever seen it. The only evils who log on during the evening are the ones who are so badass that someone like Mizfara couldn't hope take them down solo. The Kharnials, Waris's and Satebos's of the world. Given that I don't really like group PK, and earnestly tried to run around solo as much as possible, this was not a good situation for me. Consequently, I'd usually end up going after the one non-powerhouse guy who happened to be online. I'm sure some people thought I was a total wuss for attacking them when there was a Satebos or Waris online, but c'est la vie. At least I attacked them solo.

* I didn't make a lot of effort to conceal the fact that I was playing Mizfara, but it still amazed me how many people figured it out. Beront/Kostyan, Drokk and Kanye all managed to figure it out. Next character maybe I'll refrain from posting on Dio's entirely, and people will think my character is played by an imm. Hah.

* I don't think I was ever full looted by anyone over the entire course of Mizfara's life. Possibly this is because, when I killed people, I usually never took anything. Towards the end I started leaving even coins. Or, possibly it's because 90% of what I wore was unusable by someone who wasn't a good-aligned felar. Heh.

My favorite fort people were probably Cyruil, Rakhir, Humbert and Iltanthal.

My favorite enemies were probably Vehldriss, Kharnial, Igbah, Kostyan, and Droghnund.

I'm certain I've forgotten a lot of folks, so just reply and remind me.

P.S. Marcatis: Thanks for the fun time. Not sure if you noticed, but I based much of my understanding of your religion on Judeo-Christian theology, though obviously I had to accommodate the fact that Thera is polytheistic. Thought you might find that interesting.
70722, Yay! I killed an Isildur character!
####ing awesome man. I tried to help you out with my current hero, but as you said 'I must be the last to know'. Heh.

Keep rolling this quality my friend.
70723, Sheesh, that's a long way.
Posted by Beer on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I inducted you (Took a while if I remember...though perhaps I mistake this with someone else...took three or four times.) And didn't know you'd end up like this! Good job!

GLWYN!
70726, RE: (AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Mizfara ben-Ashkari the Judg...
Posted by shamanman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Toodles to you, first and foremost, and over-all a pretty good job.

Firstly, I think I interacted with you over the course of four characters. And maybe it was my perspective of the character that changed, or maybe you just got sloppy towards the later spectrum.

I'm unsure if I inducted you as Gramoak. I *think* I might have. I do remember some felar assassin around as Gramoak, it started with an M, and I think it was you. If it was, I remember that I really liked you as Gramoak, you were stylish and cool.

A little while later, I rolled up Quiltell. And man did I like Miz when I was Quiltell. Everything seemed to click between us, you were so cool in our interview and very chill about my arguing with you about your views. I liked that a lot about you. You were an approachable Captain and got a 100% from me.

Then I met you as Sharillan, and it soured a lot. Granted, I didn't put much effort into Sharillan either, but it seemed like you were jaded and distant. Not logging on as much(IE, I thought from an OOC standpoint that you were just trying desperately to last until age death) etc. You didnt talk much to anyone in Fort(from my perspective) or anything really. You were just kind of a ghostly, old, jaded face.

That said, I think Miz did a pretty good job overall, so well done on that.

One of your fans, Shamanman.
70730, RE: (AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Mizfara ben-Ashkari the Judg...
>I'm unsure if I inducted you as Gramoak. I *think* I might
>have. I do remember some felar assassin around as Gramoak, it
>started with an M, and I think it was you. If it was, I
>remember that I really liked you as Gramoak, you were stylish
>and cool.

I think Daichyl inducted me, actually. I remember interviewing with Angaarn before speaking to Daichyl, but I forget who else.

>Then I met you as Sharillan, and it soured a lot. Granted, I
>didn't put much effort into Sharillan either, but it seemed
>like you were jaded and distant.

Jaded specifically towards Sharillan, or just in general? I spent a lot of time running around hidden trying to stalk people, so that may be why I wasn't super active on cb. Also, I took a week vacation sometime in July, and wasn't online much during that period. I think I sent a note out about it in-game.
70731, RE: (AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Mizfara ben-Ashkari the Judg...
Actually, now that I think of it, maybe my two recommendations were from Daichyl and Angaarn and Gramoak was the one who actually hit the induct button. Guess we'll know for sure when the PBF comes out.
70732, RE: (AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Mizfara ben-Ashkari the Judg...
Posted by shamanman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Your guess is as good as mine. I meant jaded in general, but yeah, you were an assassin so the jadedness could have been misinterpreted.

Dont take any of my bad things the wrong way though, you more than shined when I was Quiltell. It would take a lot more than some jadedness to ruin the experience you painted in our interview.
70728, Lots of fun
Posted by Kharnial on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I thought Mizfara was well played, both with my current incarnation and my previous incarnation (you might be surprised at the latter). He was definitely one of those who stood out in the Fortress and one of the few powerhouses around. From my brief interactions with your character, I thought that title was very well placed and accurately described your RP. You were a hellcat to fight, and I always knew I would get a fun battle off fighting you. That vanish is a pain in the ass, and eventually I got to a point where I would purposedly lure you into the Fortress just so you can't vanish. Of course, by that time, my playing time lulled a bit and I couldn't effectively try it.

Go make a Scion now
70734, Mizfara was a pain!
Posted by Abernytee on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Man you were a pain to fight. You would always catch Naboueh when I was farting about with something at home, usually the baby and so it became a fleeing and chasing contest. I tried to instigate, before the rangers V assassins competition, that marks could not be placed before the competition started as I was damned sure I would/was marked by you as we stood about waiting to begin. Then when it did start and you and Renkaide and others made a bee-line for me I just tried to survive the first task. That was what prompted me to hook up with Namanrin and basically gang your ass down. With healing gear, a felar assassin is a force and a half. I did enjoy our tangles but other than the twice you died in that competition we were pretty much stalemated.

My Orc on the other hand Toogazee got punked by you several times. Playing an orc is hard enough.
Playing an orc without magic is even harder.
Playing an orc without magic, with a nasty, stacked felar assassin kicking his ass is just impossible.

Never knew it was you playing but then I never bother trying to work out or guess who anyone plays.

All the best with the next.

-----Abernyte
70735, I knew it was you!
Posted by Humbert on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I knew it was you all along! I was so tempted to say something about Mizfara reminding me of Nhiala, but that wouldn't be quite right IC. Humbert had always wanted to pull your whiskers before you age died, but it seems that it is not to be. Your proficiency with the (English) language and ability at repartee with a dedicated nerd like Humbert impressed me, and that particular quality/tone already told me it was either Isildur or Yhorian. And some posts on Dio's and here told me who you were. :)

Mizfara was a great character. A responsible Captain, you were a good player, and you were nice to people you killed (I can't say the same for some of the Fortress, and some of the Imperials, and some of the... you know. They're everywhere.) and basically showed courtesy as a player to other players. That really impressed me, plus the tattoo/title/questskills/leadership obviously marked Mizfara as one of the top-notch RP/PK characters.

As for inductions and all, curse you! I end up inducting people I (as a player OOC) know are not really all that good or well roleplayed, but as far as Humbert is concerned what he knows is what he can see in the (Gold Aura) Applicant standing in front of him.

As for the whole being more 'good' than just good-align, I think that is a bonus, but not a requirement for the Fortress. That said, Humbert is probably one of my less 'good' goodies, with regards to neutrals and other debatable things.

About the cabal power swings - I hate it, I hate it with a passion. I agree with you, the situation now is such that if you are a lone evil, you are Satebos, Waris, Kharnial, Ahtieli, and maybe some other powerhouses I am not aware of. Otherwise there are so many enemies (FortBattleLander) for the average Imperial/Scion it is almost ridiculous. I sometimes regard some of my own logins with a sense of absurdity, just grabbing cabal items and putting my prep collection in perfect order. Hunting the rare evil who is not Waris/Kharnial/Lich is obligatory for a goodie, but it's ####ty for the enemy's player who has to stand up to so many enemies all over Thera. Come back with your next, maybe an enemy? You might just be the medicine for this problem :P

Good luck with the next.
70740, Yeah, sure is hell... A caballess evil thief doesn't have it to easy either...
Posted by Kreo on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
So a big threat gone with Mizfara... Unfortunatly the powerhouses can still see me somewhat... Duergars, emperor powers, certain items... ^^ Life ain't easy. Hehe But gotta love being the underdog.
70736, RE: (AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Mizfara ben-Ashkari the Judge, Jury, and Executioner, Captain of the Brigade
Very well done. Lyristeon quest whore. Heh. I do try to do a lot of them, but, when I do, it's meant for anyone who can do them to do them. I am more apt to bitch slap a punk during the quests than I am to give an alignment slap. If I am not in my own form, feel free to assume that it is the mob and not the imm doing the quest. Alignment shouldn't play into a quest where Rimefang is running rampant.

Baerinika and I were watching you lay down the law on a Fort member then killing a bad guy who was raiding all within like 2 minutes of each other, saw the sphere and hence your title.

I was trying to see what I could give to you that would help you realize how well you had actually done. I wound up picking a warrior legacy for you. Just so you know, you are the first one that I have given a warrior legacy who isn't a warrior. That type of reward isn't taken lightly and some even think it shouldn't be done at all.

You kind of got lucky when you age died. I had just logged in about 30 seconds before your last pray and was able to shoot off some last minute echoes for you. Heh, as much as I saw you, you should play a Lyr follower.

After nearly 700 hours of playing, there are quite a few other things I could say, but, that would be rambling. Good luck with your next.
70753, RE: (AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Mizfara ben-Ashkari the Judge, Jury, and Executioner, Captain of the Brigade
>You kind of got lucky when you age died. I had just logged in
>about 30 seconds before your last pray and was able to shoot
>off some last minute echoes for you.

Thanks for the echos. This is going to venture into "teh gay" territory, but I actually wrote some death echos of my own once, just for kicks. Here's how I saw Mizfara kicking the bucket:

A lone figure stands atop the highest wall of the Fortress of Light.

She watches as the sun dips beneath the mountains, eyes bright in the gathering gloom.

An icy wind rises up from the pass below, but she feels no chill.

As the sun's last rays wink out, obscured by distant peaks, a long sigh escapes from her lips.

Sinking to the ground, her body topples forward into a kneeling position; her head down, as if in prayer.

Bells peal out and confusion reigns when the midnight watch discovers the body.

Far away, another watches the scene unfold in solemn silence.

Seen by none, but sensed by a few, a tiny spark detaches itself from the lifeless form and rises into the air.

It quickly gathers both speed and intensity, flaring into a brilliant streak of flame as it approaches the heavens.

On and on it continues until all that can be seen is a single pinprick of light, then that too disappears, and the sky is once again dark.

As the afterimage fades from your eyes, you hear these words whispered on the wind: "Well done, my faithful one. Welcome home."
70741, RE: (AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Mizfara ben-Ashkari the Judge, Jury, and Executioner, Captain of the Brigade
Generally, another really well played character from everything that I saw. Nice job.

I believe RayBaer is planning to dare you to play Nexus next. ;)
70754, RE: (AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Mizfara ben-Ashkari the Judge, Jury, and Executioner, Captain of the Brigade
I get the sense from the way you phrased that that you have some criticism of Mizfara as well. If so, I'd be interested to hear it. Not because I want to disagree with you, necessarily, I'm just curious about what I could have done better. (Note: I'm not trying to suggest there's nothing I could have done better. Not by a long shot.)
70760, RE: (AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Mizfara ben-Ashkari the Judge, Jury, and Executioner, Captain of the Brigade
I really don't have outstanding criticism; it's more that there were big chunks of Mizfara's life for which I wasn't very active.

I mean, obviously I'll always be making something of a judgement based on seeing only a subset of a character's life, but with such a long-lived character and the subset being small enough in this case I only feel so qualified to comment, thus the tone.

But if I'm going to dig for criticism... and this is something I struggle with as a player as well and I'm certainly no better about it and probably worse...

On one hand, there's a lot of good to being a slightly aloof solo hunter. It's more fun for a lot of players (and I know you) to deal with smaller fights and not so much gangs. It's more fun for your enemies. Your allies can't get you killed (most of the time) if they're not with you.

But the flipside to that is that there were a lot of people in your cabal that could have learned a lot from you, and that distance doesn't so much give them that chance. Not so much in the "here's where gear/preps are" sense but in the "why are you spamming shield bash?! Why don't you try this other thing." sense.
70776, It's like you two want to drive people away. Nexus is for losers!!!! NT
Heh.
70777, Double dog dare you to play one! (n/t)
70781, Last time I did I almost quit CF for good. :) NT
NT
70788, Super weak, you!
You're not going to take that from me, are you? Prove me wrong by rolling, uh, somehow-neutral Nexus Daevryn A-P! Go!

;)
70791, I am still waiting for Daevryn to admit Nexus sucks....
Posted by Lightmaged on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
...and bring back Masters so we can power-rank, kill villagers, and hoard shinies.

:P
70810, I am soooooooo down for this. NT
NT
70779, RE: It's like you two want to drive people away. Nexus is for losers!!!! NT
Iltch seemed to do pretty well with it. And that's a combo I'd expect to experience lots of "accidental" deaths on failed blackjacks of berserker ragers. But then, he always kicks a lot of ass.
70786, replace kicks with ganks
Posted by laxmane on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The dude has a #### ton of game knowledge but he just has not transitioned to not relying on a gank when his class doesn't have a natural advantage. Binders actually match up very well against a wide range of village builds.
70787, RE: replace kicks with ganks
>Binders actually match up very well
>against a wide range of village builds.

I agree with this if we include the caveat "As long as the person they're fighting is the only Battle of any level on or, at least, remotely nearby at the time."

Which isn't true very often.
70746, Good stuff
Posted by Baerinika on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I really liked Mizfara, obviously you play a great character. I could tell towards the end you were tired of the leadership and Fort thing and I half expected you to come to me and tell me you wanted to step down and semi retire. I'm not an avid stalker of my Forties, so I actually didn't notice very much of the things you thought you were doing that were bad. I was a little miffed that day I was trying to run Fort quest and you clearly wanted to participate in (EVIL) Kasty's quest instead. I couldn't really blame you, though.

So, echoing what Daevryn said, I hereby challenge you to really play a Nexus character! They should follow Rayihn (because she's cool). You played Good this time and Evil the time before, so it's only fair that you take a real turn at neutral! Go!

Good luck on your next, whatever it ends up being!
70755, RE: Good stuff
Sorry about the fade out on leadership stuff. I enjoy the "giving direction", "providing inspiration" and "resolving disputes" portion of leadership, but the squire interviews really started to get on my nerves. Currently the Fort is set up much like the other non-Empire cabals as far as induction goes, but the number of applicants is substantially higher. Maybe the Battle/Scion guys know something I don't about how to make it work? I mean, I could have just rubber stamped people and inducted them based purely on their recommendations, but that seemed sort of...lame. Check out my post on your forum if you haven't already.

As for Nexus...hmm. Yeah, that's a tough sell for me. I think I'd have a hard time hunting someone one minute, then trying to be cordial with them the next. You end up being hated by pretty much everyone. Plus, the cabal seems to lend itself to 2-person groups, given how the bond works, which doesn't mesh so much with how I like to play. Plus, I get the feeling that if I played a class without "zap" that I'd just get wrecked by the rager cabal.

I think I am going to try something different, though. I've never had a Tribunal, Rager or Outlander. I've had one scion, but it was a non-mage who deleted shortly after reaching hero range. I've never had a hero-range orc, healer, druid, invoker, necromancer, bard or anti-paladin. So, there's a lot of fertile ground for me to try something I've never done before.
70758, RE: Good stuff
Would be extremely interesting to see you play a healer.
70761, RE: Good stuff
Heh. I actually had one, way back in the day, that I solo ranked to the low thirties. I think I was trying to solo rank a healer just for the novelty of it. Deleted when I lost all my progging gear.

Do you say it would be interesting because you suspect it would be hard for me to play a character that lacks offensive firepower, or because you'd want to see just how offensive I could make a healer?

I'd be hard pressed to beat...uh...that dwarf dude who was around when I was playing Waserax. Gumbldink.
70768, RE: Good stuff
All of those things, yes, and more. Like Daevryn was saying, it really would challenge you to put aside the solo offensive stuff and give you the chance to teach your allies. You'd also have to learn how to be a team player, so to speak. Would just be interesting. :)
70751, Awesome awesome awesome
Posted by Kernagor on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You were a cool character, and one of the powerhouses of the fort. The interview you gave me was also pretty cool. I found it very difficult to play a fortie assassin when I tried, so props to you for making it work out. I also thought that you were perfectly in line when you "legislated" the behavior of the Fortress, or, at least, the squire/maran half of it, which was predominant at the time. Its bothered me in my previous forties when leaders did not give out concrete orders and forties were at a loss as to how to deal with certain enemies/potential enemies.

I'm also perfectly cool with you shoveling all the induction crap on Humbert, since when I was inducted it looked to me like you were inducting 5 people for every 1 of Humbert's, due to his random and short times (this isn't a jab at Humbert, OOC takes precedence over IC). It is, however, almost poetic justice =P.

I also totally get what you were talking about in terms of PK ranges. Most of the time it seems like my pk range is full of people I either can't kill (Liches, Kharnial/Waris, etc) or people I don't really want to kill, cause their life is hard enough already with the massive swing (like Krikar, Carintsei, and Kresin). I end up avoiding a lot of fights myself, not because I don't like PK, but because I either don't stand a chance or feel really bad when I kill them.

Last thing. I noticed that you preferred to run alone. I totally get this, since I've played a fortie assassin myself, and what with the gigantic swing I wouldn't want to run around ganging the crap out of my pk range either. But a few times you'd be leading a large group of us, and you'd disband the group to go hunting on your own, and then Kharnial/Waris/whomever would hit, and we wouldn't be in any position to quickly rally and engage before the watcher died. We'd end up running in one by one and getting easily driven off or asploded. Maybe you could have pointed at a nearby Maran or Acolyte and gone "form around that guy" and then broken off to do whatever while still having the group preformed and being able to snap off orders for whatever situation. Anyways, this is a pretty minor point, all

I still think you are the ####. Awesome job and good luck with your next.
70770, Very cool character.
Posted by Volubryotr on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Seeing who played it makes it all make sense,
but still a way cool character. :)

Have fun with the next!
70789, ~Cyruil
Posted by Dark Priest on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I really enjoyed our interactions, but they were a bit odd. Most of the time it seemed we had entire conversations with only a few words...see, odd. But that was my perception of it.

Mizfara and Cyruil seemed to see eye-to-eye on things like being wanted, killing neutrals (even mobs), etc...which was really cool. I thought that I was in a minority by wanting to set a higher bar for goodies only to find a kindred soul in Mizfara.

When I was made Marshall it seemed like we complimented one another well and since we often saw things along similar lines, I think we made a good team to lead.

I was always curious who Kayella had suggested for Marshall and what events may have brought you to suggest Cyruil. Since all of us are gone, maybe you could share a little insight?

Anyways, great character and I hope to be in a role with you again soon.

~Dark Priest
Tahel, Dihir, Dukreg, Farzelkep, Dahltu, Xarto, Cyruil, and so many others.
70790, RE: ~Cyruil
I'm trying to remember, but I think she actually suggested you. If I recall, her main goal was that I not choose Warren's muter, who seemed to be lobbying for the position.
70792, RE: ~Cyruil
Posted by Dark Priest on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
That was rather funny. He made it way to obvious about what he was doing, it felt like some dirty mayor trying to get re-elected after going to jail for some sort of sexual or drug charges.
71297, Except for the mayor part...
Posted by Yhorian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
That's pretty damn accurate.

Oh the insanity. The roughness. It's like Hollyoaks in CF format.
70801, RE: (AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Mizfara ben-Ashkari the Judge, Jury, and Executioner, Captain of the Brigade
Posted by Iggy on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
God damn we had some fun huh....and yes, I thought you were the luckiest goodie ever. Well done on the char, make another, either for or against me, and I know we'll have ourselves a jolly good go at it. P.S. That time when the watcher dispelled me and stomped my ass into the ground as you mountainstormed really, really pissed me off! I gotcha back though

Good job
Gery
70804, Wow
Posted by Khrathtyn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I was killed by Isildur. Very nice assassination on me in the Imperial Lands. Too bad assassination was the only chance in hell you had of killing me. But, you did.

Good character over all.
71208, RE: (AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Mizfara ben-Ashkari the Judge, Jury, and Executioner, Captain of the Brigade
Posted by Corsix on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You were always fun to be around, I'm certain that we could've done some great(er) things together, if I was about more often.
71316, Wow, thanks.
Posted by Iltanthal on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
"My favorite fort people were probably Cyruil, Rakhir, Humbert and Iltanthal."

Coming from a player of your calibre I consider that really nice praise. I liked our relationship - neither of us wanted to run around and gank some poor sap, but we trusted each other enough to try to give a powerful foe (or foes) a good fight. We came so close on Waris in Bramblefield. Stupid choice on my part, bah. And we got really destroyed by Waris/Kharnial, later. Haha!

Good luck with your next!
70718, Best title ever. Good job ~
Posted by Foolio on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
70717, Well done.
Posted by Karjiin on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You were always a hastle to me.(As I'm sure you figured out.) We had a few good fights. And it is a bitter-sweet feeling to see you gone, but good luck with your next. If there is one...

-Karjiin Darkfeather
70721, RE: Well done.
That fight where you killed me is a good example of a particular problem I have with regard to PK. Basically, I get tunnel vision. In that particular fight, I was going to kill the fiend, then attack you. When the tide turned, for some reason, I chose not to deviate from that plan until the very last possible moment. Then my potion crapped out, and that was that.

This happened to me in a lot of fights with Vehldriss as well, and at least one of the times when I was fighting Waris/Kharnial in the Fort. Not sure why I do this. In that Kharnial/Waris fight, I was down to 300hp and all crippling-strike-girdle'd up and neither of them was very hurt. For some reason, I tried to walk back to the Watcher and heal myself. Wtf? Why did I think that was a good idea?

Or, in some of my fights with Vehldriss, she'd get off the kot first and get me down to gushing, and I'd stupidly try to keep maledicting her when it was obvious the fight was lost. Why? Somehow I'm unable to pull the plug on a fight when it's obvious it's lost. I feel compelled to stay involved until the very last moment, which, obviously, results in a lot of unnecessary (read: retarded) deaths.