Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(DELETED) Brulgbabauth the Incendiary Savage, Nightreav...
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=37039
37039, (DELETED) Brulgbabauth the Incendiary Savage, Nightreav...
Posted by Brulgbabauth on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Where to begin? This was my first hero in several years and my first Outlander. I loved the RP of this character and the high RP quality of the Outlander cabal during the time that I lived through it, but PK side, this character just wasn't for me. Great in group vs. group fights and raids, but I had such a hard time killing anyone one on one at hero. The last few shamans I've played didn't go that high of level and didn't have a problem with it. At hero it's a very different game and the vast majority of the characters I fought were painfully conservative. As soon as I landed the first malediction, no matter what it was, they'd quaff teleport or run to an NPC healer faster than I could do anything about it. I'm not saying this class is weak at hero, but it isn't for me right now.

I have a mixed opinion on being an evil Outlander. The pros: it's a lot like the best of being uncaballed. You can fight and kill just about whoever you want. The cons: your powers suit that. The evil Outlander powers are a bunch of fun, flashy little things with great style. They are the kind of thing that if I got as a quest skill I would be thrilled. As cabal powers for an uncaballed character with little responsibility, they're great.

The problem is, you are forced to fight and do raids against cabals that have real cabal powers. You have to fight Empire, easily the hardest cabal to raid when in force, and with a sect leader / emperor power that effectively negates your only real cabal power. You have to fight Tribunal, which means a lifetime of being wanted. Surviving wanted is a lot easier than it used to be; I kept a flag in the 20s for many levels and dozens of hours before dying in a PK that had nothing to do with being wanted. On top of that, because you're evil, you will be fighting Fortress all the time, and in most cases you will be the only evil Outlander on and the good and neutral members of your own cabal in most cases won't be helping you out. I spent more time fighting Fortress, usually in the form of huge gangs, than anyone else, and not by choice.

I will definitely play another evil Outlander someday, regardless of whether or not the powers are tweaked. It's just to soon for me and I'm not strong enough at the game again yet to take on an underdog challenge of this magnitude.

Some specific goodbyes, I'm sure I'll forget people.

Immortals:

Eshval, thank you for empowering me, and everything. You definitely gave Brulg a lot of attention and scrutiny. 90% of the time this was cool, 10% of the time it was frustrating. I felt like you were trying to push Brulg to fit more the mold of other followers of your religion, and that just wasn't him. That aside, it was great to follow an imm that seemed to like and seemed to be excited about my character. It kept me going through some of the hard times of this character to feel that loved.

Lyristeon, thanks for taking a chance on me with induction, and again with Nightreaver. I had a pretty good run of it and I'd like to think I can be considered to have beat out the Nightreaver curse, having outlived a Sunwarden and a few Harbingers.

Whichever of you gave me my leader weapon, I'm sure you could tell I was disappointed. I'm sorry that came through in the game, because Brulg wouldn't have been disappointed even if I wanted to delete on the spot. Yes, I was playing a very fire themed character, but if you'd watched even one of my fights in the previous weeks you'd have to have seen that I was stuck fighting Maran more than anything else, by far. My only other fights at that moment in time were with Nabburak (fire giant) and Skolgrar (fire giant). A flaming leader weapon isn't going to get me anywhere but killed when it heals eight of the nine people in my PK range, all of which are trying desperately to murder me, and the ninth is resistant to it.

Aarn, thanks for the props in the role contest. It would have been nice to see a reward but I'm not sure if it could have kept my interest in this character.

Outlanders:

Tjok, just awesome. Awesome awesome awesome. I was so disappointed that we didn't get to hunt together.

Parantl, thanks for showing me around the cabal, and everything after.

Reggie, man, you need to relax a little. I love your drive and heart but sometimes I wanted to cry watching you get yourself killed in ways that you so didn't have to. Keep it up, the game needs more people who aren't afraid to mix it up like that.

Otzo, you seemed cool from the little bit I saw you. The candle that burned twice sure did burn half as long in your case.

Carijisdun, I often couldn't figure out how you had managed to die, but I loved your character. Great pick for Sunwarden.

Aesrira, you were a bit long-winded for me at times, but you definitely had a cool and memorable character. Tjok is a tough act to follow and you did it as well as anyone could have. I'll look forward to your next.

Sivakar, pretty solid from the little bit we ran together.

Aerik, very cool, sorry to see you go so fast.

Litai, thank you so much for everything, especially having my back with healing those many times when Fortress was whipping me. Just great.

Viviarong, I wish I'd gotten to play with you more.

Ukthan, you were great. From when I ran into you before either of us was in Outlander on it was all cool. I just wish we'd spent more time with similar PK ranges, I so could have used you so many times.

Team Storm Shaman, I'm sorry I'm lumping you together as others have Team Gnome Invoker, but by our alignments we didn't run together too much. Everything I did see was cool from you guys.

Obmah, I desperately needed your murderousness around more often. I loved this character; when I told you, not in so many words, that you'd need to start killing people for food since you couldn't use coins, I didn't think you'd actually pull it off. Fun.

Kallor, you were creepy and evil and sassy and exactly the kind of Outlander I wanted more of. I was hoping you'd outlive me. Sigh.

Endymius, I love your role. I hope to see you play more.

Mekah, don't lose that spirit, you'll be great someday as you learn.

I'm sure a lot of the newer guys are great, I just didn't know you very well.

Tribunal:

I fought a lot of you. The skill level and heart in your cabal was a lot better than I had expected. Just a few specifics:

Gelgso, I give you credit for sticking around when you're so outgunned. The particular time of week I always saw you on is always bad for Tribunal but you still tried to make a good run of it.

Vargblot, the best Vindicator I've ever seen.

Hammond, what are the odds I'd run into you on the road? I got a hard education in fighting transmuters at your hands.

Fortress:

So much ganging. I hate Cry with a passion now.

Sydrian, you gave me the best solo fights and I have to give you special mention.

Empire:

Trepeq, you deserve special mention. I was still relearning the ropes but that's no excuse. You had the better character for our matchup but that isn't one either. You continually just plain outplayed me. I never in the life of this character felt overmatched by one person the way I did by you. Nice job.

I'm sure I'm forgetting other people but I'll end this here for now.

Scion:

Akscereh, I wish we'd have gotten to run together more, or really at all. You seemed really cool.
37133, RE: (DELETED) Brulgbabauth the Incendiary Savage, Nightreav...
Posted by Vargblot on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I thought you did well. We spoke a few times and i had respect for your char in game.
Having played a few shamans at hero i cant really think of a better class to seal trib kills with :). Rot or summon should work well when its to hard to go in with all guns firing.

Good luck with your next!
37140, RE: (DELETED) Brulgbabauth the Incendiary Savage, Nightreav...
>Having played a few shamans at hero i cant really think of a
>better class to seal trib kills with :). Rot or summon should
>work well when its to hard to go in with all guns firing.

I had the same thought about summon, actually, which is why I made a shaman when I decided to try an Outlander. I knew too many Tribunals wouldn't set foot outside the Spire and planned to summon them out to their doom. This worked well up to a point. When I was alone, most Tribs were on the ball enough to just walk back inside, or worse, into the Paladin's guild. When I had a group this was pretty successful, assuming I had a groupmate who was awake enough to jump on the person I told them I was going to summon in time. This one time sticks out in my mind, wherein I summoned Gelgso from the executioner to about four Outlanders, and Gelg just stands there scanning around a little bit, switches out some gear, and walks away unmolested just before my next command. *sigh*

Rot actually didn't pan out that well for me, except against Battle who I generally didn't want to kill. There were just too many very active and competent healers playing in my era. Even putting the likes of Onirakoth, Vinson, and Asfas aside, the small horde of Acolyte healers were generally willing to help out anyone I'd rotted.
37111, Trepeq and Brulg
Posted by shamanman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Wow,I just want to say that you were great as well. We were exact opposites, priest of trabryn and brulg the fire, chaotic unpredictable giant. But what I dug most was that you and a few other outlanders were actually willing to sit down and TALK and no just battle each other back and forth! You were great to fight and its always fun to have a good matchup, and a few of our fights were quite close and fun to be in. Either way, you played very well and Outties will be hampered without you.
37110, RE: (DELETED) Brulgbabauth the Incendiary Savage, Nightreav...
Posted by Eshval on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You know...this speak a great deal about your rp.

You say to yourself 'Some days it like every one want stab and eat Brulg.'

You were quite fun to watch and I never regretted the tat. As a follower, you typified your race and sphere (fire)...unpredictable and dangerous.

Good luck
37096, RE: (DELETED) Brulgbabauth the Incendiary Savage, Nightreav...
Posted by Lyristeon on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I thought you did a very good job. Your rp was definately your strong suit, which is much more important to me than a pk ratio. But, since you brought up the deadly aspect, take a look at how many times you died. It wasn't much and you didn't shy away from fights.

As for your leader weapon, it wasn't my doing, but if it was my doing I would have done the same thing. It is easy enough to wield another weapon when fighting a maran.

As for evil Outlander powers, feel free to email me or the imm staff with some specific concerns or ideas. Things are always in a constant change of flux and a few things are being talked about.

All in all, I would say a job well done. Good luck with your next.

lyristeon@carrionfields.com
37143, RE: (DELETED) Brulgbabauth the Incendiary Savage, Nightreav...
Posted by Brulgbabuth on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>I thought you did a very good job. Your rp was definately
>your strong suit, which is much more important to me than a pk
>ratio. But, since you brought up the deadly aspect, take a
>look at how many times you died. It wasn't much and you
>didn't shy away from fights.

I can't disagree. This character often took a phenomenal beating and survived, and I rarely gathered any additional preps.

>As for your leader weapon, it wasn't my doing, but if it was
>my doing I would have done the same thing. It is easy enough
>to wield another weapon when fighting a maran.

You're right, it is. And it's easy enough to wield another weapon when fighting all my fire giant enemies. And when one of the invokers was in play. And when fighting a certain prominent Tribunal who kept resist fire up for life for a very good reason.

Add it all up and with the current mix of enemies I had, you have a weapon that even dying to use for RP reasons I got to use so infrequently that if it had been a normal piece of gear I'd have been effectively hoarding it. That's all right but it didn't feel like much of a reward. I'd have killed Cari and stolen her weapon to use instead if I thought I could have wielded it. :)

>As for evil Outlander powers, feel free to email me or the imm
>staff with some specific concerns or ideas. Things are always
>in a constant change of flux and a few things are being talked
>about.

In short, you need to think about Outlander a little more like Battle. Battle has some powers which compensate for things everyone else can do that Battle can't. They aren't strictly better than the alternatives in every situation, but they are generally better. Being able to have resistance up all the time is generally better than being able to have stone skin potions and sometimes get a sanc from someone if you're a warrior. Outlander's compensatory powers are strictly worse than what they replace. I would rather have buy than harvest, skin, and vandalize. Sneaky secret power is cool but strictly worse than being able to buy potions and pills. Subvert is cool but strictly worse than centurions, guard call, or being able to buy mercenaries.
37325, RE: (DELETED) Brulgbabauth the Incendiary Savage, Nightreav...
Posted by Amaranthe on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The leader weapon was my doing. My approach to leader weapons for Outlanders is that they are simply a perk. If I give one, I give it with roleplaying motivations in mind - especially for classes like mages and communers.

It certainly doesn't take anything *away* from you to have a leader weapon you can't use in many situations. If nothing else, you have a spiffy-looking, character-fitting weapon and something to wield even when full-looted while you regear.

Also, the Ancients have absolutely zero interest in helping you in tiffs against the Maran, no matter how numerous they might be.

I loved your character. I really did. I was disappointed in his reaction to the weapon, and it may well have reduced any possibility he had at getting future rewards from me. Most long-lived Outlanders I interact with will get multiple small perks if they don't get one big reward. Looking a gift horse in the mouth isn't the best way to motivate an imm to give you additional perks.

Still, that is just one small blotch on an otherwise extremely well-played character. Hope to see you as an Outlander again! :)
37326, RE: (DELETED) Brulgbabauth the Incendiary Savage, Nightreav...
>It certainly doesn't take anything *away* from you to have a
>leader weapon you can't use in many situations. If nothing
>else, you have a spiffy-looking, character-fitting weapon and
>something to wield even when full-looted while you regear.

I actually once very nearly starved to death while heavily maledicted because the weapon was clogging up my inventory and just barely keeping me from eating.

>Also, the Ancients have absolutely zero interest in helping
>you in tiffs against the Maran, no matter how numerous they
>might be.

Put aside for five minutes that all of my genuine Outlander-enemy enemies at the time had resist fire built into them.

I'm sorry, but what you're saying is still not reasonable.

Battle is meant to fight mages, but the reality of the politics of the game is that Battle is going to have to fight Empire a lot whether they want to or not. You wouldn't give a Battle leader a weapon that heals Imperials, but that's precisely what you did to me.

I wish you'd have watched me fight more often. You couldn't do that and have this viewpoint. It's got to be a big part of why Nightreavers are so deletion-prone.

Whether an evil Outlander wants to or not, they are going to have to fight Fortress. Period. Fortress showed up and tried to gang on me when I was trying to kill/raid Empire. Fortress even showed up and ganged on me on one occasion when I was in the middle of fighting Onirakoth, who as you know is an evil Tribunal. Any evil Outlander who doesn't want to be a happy gear tree for Maran is soon or later going to have to fight back. During the times I played this character, Fortress characters nearly always outnumbered all of my other enemies put together. That wouldn't always be so, but it was in my times.

This is hard enough to begin with. It's hard enough that Maran's powers for fighting me are far superior to mine for fighting them. It's hard enough that I'm in a cabal where most of my cabal mates won't help me fight them. It's hard enough that I can't team up in a reasonable way with most of their natural enemies, such as Empire, Scion, orcs, anti-paladins, necromancers, duergar, or minotaurs. It's a lot like being a Scarab, being one crazy nearly uncaballed evil against the world alone.

On top of all that you want to give me a weapon that's not only useless but dangerous against my most numerous enemies and then imply that there's something wrong with me for wanting to not heal people who are killing me? Thanks but no thanks.

>I loved your character. I really did. I was disappointed in
>his reaction to the weapon, and it may well have reduced any
>possibility he had at getting future rewards from me. Most
>long-lived Outlanders I interact with will get multiple small
>perks if they don't get one big reward. Looking a gift horse
>in the mouth isn't the best way to motivate an imm to give you
>additional perks.

I'm sorry that you felt that way, but look at it from my perspective. By giving me that weapon you were indicating that you hadn't paid very much attention at all to this character and that you had very unfair and unrealistic expectations of how I would play him in the future. I almost deleted that night, and I never got the drive to play again as I did before after that. Sending that message to your cabal leader isn't the best way to motivate them to not delete.
37327, Wow...
Posted by Irked on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
When I'm done with my current character, I'll roll up an evil outlander with the intention of making Nightreaver and show you how it works. Despite the current Imperial situation where it could be just me and six imperials and several tribbies all out looking for me, I can find creative places to hide even without the outlander powers. Add maran to the mix and it'll just be that many more people to avoid while sneaking in a kill every now and then. Despite your thoughts otherwise, a leader weapon is not designed for the specific killing of all your enemies. The sunwarden's leader weapon was effective against two races. That's it. If I wanted to fight someone, I had better weapons available. Ugh! I liked Brulg, but this whining over something as petty as a leader weapon you didn't like is irritating.

Also, understandably, evil outlander powers are not all that great for pking. But, you have windwalk, and you have chameleon. Both are great utility power perks. As it has been said before, the Outlander cabal is geared primarily towards the neutral class. As such, you can't expect to have great powers just for being evil and showing up. Evil outlander is probably one of the hardest cabal choices to play, but you did well. So, maybe just quitting now while you still got glowing goodbye notes instead of going into the negative petty aspects of subjects that have been discussed to death might not have been the wisest choice. For your concerns, you were politely shown an e-mail address you could write to. Use that instead of making this a platform for everyone to get annoyed and rebel against.
37329, What the...?
Posted by Enbuergo1 on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You all are crazy. Chameleon is one of *the best* pk powers. Are you kidding me? Getting the jump on someone is 90% of the win in a pk situation. My next character is going to be an Outlander, end of story.

Enbuergo

Post script: Any reference to me as part of a 'pack' or as some sort of animal metaphor will be met with a summary beating.
37331, RE: What the...?
>You all are crazy. Chameleon is one of *the best* pk powers.
> Are you kidding me? Getting the jump on someone is 90% of
>the win in a pk situation. My next character is going to be
>an Outlander, end of story.

Great. It's a fun cabal and they could use more veterans.

Don't judge the worth of chameleon against other powers until you play at hero for a while and deal with an active and skilled emperor like Nabburak, though. It's a great power even still, but it doesn't compensate for all you give up to have it at hero. I can come up with some scary midlevel characters to make use of it, even including midlevel evil shaman, but I don't think it stacks up as well as you would think at hero.

>Post script: Any reference to me as part of a 'pack' or as
>some sort of animal metaphor will be met with a summary
>beating.

Agreed 100%.
37335, Some more thoughts.
Posted by Enbuergo1 on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Personally, my observation of Outlander is that they have waaaaay too many 'laws' for a lawless cabal. Dealing with civilization = abhorrent. Conjured pets = abhorrent (this especially annoys me, seeing as I feel there's a valid argument that anything you can do in Thera has a reason rooted in the original Land for being able to happen, and really this is a Sylvan relic). Money = abhorrent (again, I feel that a pragmatic Outlander should realize that even if civilization is 'bad,' a piece of silver weighs less than a chicken and therefore is more convenient and better). I find this kind of mentality isn't a virtue when dealing with what an evil Outlander could be.

I can see a true evil Anarchist type Outlander saying F you Amaranthe and your 'cycles of nature.' I want to burn nature to the ground. F you Innis and your sunny fields; I want to burn them too. F you Ancients, you slumbered when you were needed, and for that I could care less about you. In order to bring about Thar-Eris, we need to completely wipe Thera clean, and I'm going to do that by bitchslapping absolutely anything that gets in my way and burning the rest. No form of order will be left in place once I destroy it all, and then the true Thar-Eris can return. Call me a wolf of the pack again, I double-dare you. I'll feed you to your f'ing wolves!

Of course, I think if I did that, I'd never get the chance to remain in Outlander for long.

Back to chameleon, yeah it's not the end-all be-all, and Imperials, Marans, etc do get some sick powers. But try playing a Scion warrior with nightfist/crappy nightwalker, and seeing how bad chameleon looks then }(
37350, You would make such a great wolf in the pack! *grin* nt
Posted by Minyar1 on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
nt
37330, RE: Wow...
You're right, this isn't the place to go off on that rant.

I was trying to be constructive. I don't think anyone who hasn't played one really understands what an evil Outlander is in for, especially at hero. I didn't when I made Brulg. I had these grand ideas of how I was going to fight Tribunal, not realizing that fighting them would often be a luxury I only got to enjoy after getting Empire and Fortress out of my way.

I had a lot of fun with this character for a while, and I'm not genuinely all that bitter, but I want the Outlander Immortals to understand the reality of playing this path in hopes they'll make good choices with it in the future. The first time I played Battle, I naively made a character to kill mages and ended up dying to Empire twice an hour. The difference here is that if you're Battle, other Battle will help you out against Empire, and if you're Outlander, half your cabal will hang you out to dry against Fortress.

It's not that I couldn't hide. I went and rested off dozens of Iramath and Sydrian's impales without being found. Hiding and avoiding is only fun up to a point and I probably wouldn't make a character quite like this again, unless I felt sure I would have certain kinds of backup more frequently available.

I have incredible respect for the few mages I inducted. Taking on all I did, plus Battle, is an underdog task without equal.

I'd like to see you take a crack at evil Outlander. I'm sure it would be a great and memorable character. Just be prepared to die about three times as much as playing good or neutral Outlander.

P.S. Nothing personal (I liked your character), but if shaman got spear, I definitely would have tried to kill you and take your weapon to replace mine.
37339, RE: Wow...
Posted by Less Irked on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
>>P.S. Nothing personal (I liked your character), but if shaman got spear, I definitely would have tried to kill you and take your weapon to replace mine.<<

Cari didn't have that kind of weapon.

I won't deny you really had a tough time, especially because Tribunal is the "call-in" cabal, since they'll allow anyone to fight at their captain without punishment. If a goodie raids, they call in Empire to defend, if an evil raids, call in a Maran. If a mage raids, call in a Villager. Then you end up fighting two cabals just to try to get the Scales.

Similarly, you were constantly hunted, which doesn't mean you have to fight them. Just keep out of eyes view. You know all this though, so I'm preaching to the choir. My point is that evil Outlander is hard, but with a little more planning, you could become quite infamous and successful without constantly dying and make a deadly character.

Good luck with your next. You had a good, solid character and I appreciate your efforts. I wish you would have stayed around longer, but then, my character ducked out too.
37355, There may be some truth in the call in accusation
Posted by incognito on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
But sometimes it isn't like it seems.

I remember in one of our fights an imperial thief came an jacked you.

There were two tribs on.

One flagged the imperial (although this was removed), and I asked him to leave (because he was evil).

So whilst on that occasion I did profit from you being jacked, neither trib wanted the Imperial to stick around and help. He jacked you without being asked, and was asked to leave as soon as he was noticed. That was, actually, one of the few occasions that you escaped to fight another day, out of that short series of fights, too.
37363, Not for nothing...
Posted by Boldereth1 on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I know your leader weapon wasn't a great aid but most aren't. I'd have been happy to have gotten one. Truth is, its not a given that you'll get a leader weapon. I can't remember the last Scion to have one, and I never recall any Warders having them or at least not a whole lot.

I hear what you're saying and all but free rewards isn't something to complain about...its not like leader weapons in any way shape or form are handed out often. When I played Boldereth years ago I got unempowered and given an insulting title, but I actually sorta beamed with pride that they even noticed enough to give me a title.

I don't know, you're being a bit obnoxious in these posts.
37371, RE: Not for nothing...
Posted by WhiteRaven on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
But you may want to consider the benefits that a lot of cabal leaders get just for being leader. More specifically, looking at it from a cabal wars perspective, Outlander fights Empire and Tribunal. Empire leaders get sick leader powers, one of which negates the main cool thing Outlander gets. Tribunal leaders get mean special lieutenants, and I don't know what else. Outlander leaders get...detect order. Granted, that's handy, but...

Also...Scion leaders to me often seem to be mages that don't really NEED leader weapon. I think it should be tailored more for the character.

Either way I can see his point. The imms were trying to do something cool and RP'ish, but this mud seems a little too murder oriented for that!
37395, RE: (DELETED) Brulgbabauth the Incendiary Savage, Nightreav...
As has been pointed out, you were in no way required to wield your weapon.

I'll also point out that as far as leadership positions go, Nightreaver has some of the *least* responsibility. The cabal gets very few evil applicants, so compared to, say, Harbinger or Battle commander, the position is mostly a title and a nice way to get some imm attention and perks that you might otherwise not. The Sunwarden's position is similar. For that same reason, Alynana's initial perk was as Sunwarden was a weapon, even knowing that was primarily a useless thing for a transmuter to have. Later on, she got an additional reward, and other bits of attention and whatnot. I suppose she could have said 'A dagger? I rely upon my magicks! This dagger is hardly useful to me.' And certainly she would have been right, but I doubt she would have gotten the additional rewards she received later.

I mean, is your point here to just be right? Fine. Be right! I never argued that it was the "phatest piece of lewt" ever for your charcter. A fire weapon is indeed not a good choice for a great many situations you were in. That doesn't somehow make it the horrible burden on your character that you make it out to be, nor does it make your response appropriate from the roleplaying perspective.

If the weapon was truly so horrible that it was nothing but the worthless inventory hog you suggest, you could have thanked the Ancients for their gift, and offered it back, saying that you'd rather prove your independent tenacity with your 'own teeth' or something like that. That would have been a more impressive and IC response than being a fire-oriented character that complained about how awful it is to have a fire weapon.

Perhaps I should take a poll sometime and ask whether someone would receive an unpreferable weapon, or none at all.
37396, On evil Outlanders
Posted by Wilhath on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Generally speaking, from your experiencing watching them, who do they rank with? Every time I think about rolling an evil Outlander I think "Yeah, but are you ready to see 8 evils in your group range and 7 of them you can't group with because they're Empire/Tribunal/etc.?" Are these folks basically chilling and waiting on evil/neutral Outlanders or is there some untapped resource I'm unaware of? Do they group with Scions? I can't imagine Scions being kosher since they're essentially pseudoconjurers, what with the Nightwalkers and all. I'm not that familiar with Outlander dogma though, so whatever.
37397, RE: On evil Outlanders
Watching evil Outlanders is primarily Lyristeon's domain, so perhaps he can comment here. Regarding Brulg and some other evil Outlanders I have interacted with, it has primarily been due to Lyr's various periods of unavailability.

When *I* watch them, I tend to be somewhat flexible regarding grouping with Scions and whatnot, so long as the Outlander in question is being IC and opportunistic, as opposed to just a Scion lackey. I might send some creepy whispers to keep their focus on the cabal's agenda, and only do I step in if things get too far afield. I've seen evil Outlanders group with Scions, uncaballed evils and neutrals, Battleragers, and naturally other Outlanders - just what you'd expect

Many people have commented on evil Outlanders having less desirable powers and potential groupmates, and such. And the powers have relatively recently been tweaked, and may be tweaked more in the future. However, the initial design was *not* to make them equal-opportunity to neutral or good Outlanders.

The initial proposal was actually to keep the Sylvan Warders more or less "as-is" and just allow the *occasional* and *exceptional* evil to join the cabal to add some diversity and cut the overwhelmingly "good" flavor to the Warders, who were at the time constantly having to be severed away from the hip of Fortress. The proposal evolved into a project that balanced the whole cabal more in the neutral direction. Evil members, to some extent, were still considered experimental from an RP perspective - and we deliberately designed that aspect of the cabal to have a little more challenge to it to prevent it from becoming the "MINDLESS MURDER" choice of those who play evil. Not that "MINDLESS MURDER" isn't valid for a chaotic-evil character, but it should be a caballess choice, not one tied to a cabal agenda. For evil Outlanders it is a fine line, so we wanted to draw character-driven players that were intriqued by the unique challenge and perspective the option offers. (Not that they can't be killers, too. They can, and have.)
37065, Goodbyes
Posted by Reggie on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I'll say more about myself later when the time comes, btu just know that Reggie looked forward to you being around. We had some fun chases and fights in our day. I wish you had been around more toward the end when I am around, but such is life. Being gone for a week for business didn't help Outlander much as I came back and saw "nobody" around though, Crendal did bring in a few people. However, thats another point I'll refer to later.

Great job though, you were stellar, as anyone could see, especially with al the lovin you got from Eshval.

Reggie
37141, Heh
It was great running around with you; we made a good team. I'm sure my immortal comments would have something like "This dude gets Reggie a ton of kills!"
37053, I wish our playing times had overlapped
Posted by Drahke on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
From what I heard, you were pretty cool. I think I saw you a total of three times, once you were around level 18 or something, and then two times after you became nightreaver. Such a shame. I think we would have made a good team.

37139, I felt the same way
I realized quickly that we kept totally different schedules, and it's sad. That would've been a great team-up.

In character I'm sure Brulg talked some trash about Drahke when it was obvious that they were the only two choices for Nightreaver, but as a player I had total respect for you. I got to see Drahke in action a little bit with a previous character when I was keeping slightly different hours and he was pretty impressive.
37052, Viviarongs answer
Posted by Tirach on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Ditto.

I really liked the nightreaver as I stated in my deathpost just below. But I dessided not to be the type of character who asked for help at any point in my carrear. You have no idea how many times I wanted to ask to join you but I ended up as a loner solohunting.

Again as I stated in my deathpost thanks for the help with that ram, I think I used something near a full hour to reconfigure my herbs and get the right follower to take him down, and then when I am ready you and Litai shows up, I just , ' Ahh thank god, hope they stick around to help me.' :) Against a ram it would be close anyhow, but I believe the pixi has what it takes :D

Well anyhow, I'll see you in the fields man, if you want pop me an email, allso listed in my deathpost.