Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Martainn the Dai Sensei of the Miyama Ryu
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=36482
36482, (AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Martainn the Dai Sensei of the Miyama Ryu
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Tue Mar 29 15:23:02 2005

At 3 o'clock PM, Day of the Bull, 8th of the Month of the Spring
on the Theran calendar Martainn perished, never to return.
Race:human
Class:assassin
Level:51
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Neutral
Cabal:FORTRESS, the Fortress of Light
Hours:437
36485, Well, that was fun.
Posted by Martainn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I figure I rolled Martainn around the middle of July last year. When I played Carrick, there was this Fortie assassin that always gave me hell. I liked him for it, and thought it looked fun. So I decided to give it a go.

I knew going in that it was going to be rough, what with all the duergar and seeming predisposition for thieves and assassins on CF to be evil. And it was rough. When my PBF comes up, everyone have a good chuckle at the 9+ year player that played an assassin for 437 hours without a successful assassinate. That said, I didn't always try that hard at being the assassinating assassin, as noted in a previous battlefield post highlighting the fact that I was always easy to see.

I truly enjoyed Martainn, assassins are very versatile, and even with the tone down, vanish is still one of the best utility skills in the game. Honestly, I would have kept playing Martainn for a good long time I think, I was still having fun. Thats testament to the quality of people I had to pal around with in the Fortress, and to the depth of the game. Even after all the years I've played it, I'm still learning about new tricks and hidden treasures.

My playing times wax and wane with whats going on at work, and I appreciated the understanding of the cabal leaders and Imms when I would be MIA for days on end. I hope the cabal system will continue to have a place for folks who can't always play 2+ hours daily.

I'll refrain from listing individual goodbyes, if I made your passtime more enjoyable, you know you did the same for me as well, and you've my thanks for it.

Immortals, keep up the excellent work, we appreciate it.

I've got most of Martainn's life logged, so if there was a particular time you pasted me, or I ganged you down or whatever, put up a request and I'll try and find it. I'll be back as soon as I figure out a PC that I think I'll enjoy as much as I enjoyed Martainn.

Garanhwir, Morgiane, Mierin, Moridin, Griffith, Voss, Culhwch, Ossrian, Ryldain, Pikel et al. and now Martainn.
36487, That's a quality list of characters.
Posted by Graatchman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Be proud. And Martainn was fun, both as friend and foe.
36488, I'll be damned.
Posted by nepenthe on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I never would've guessed. Glad to see you're still playing.

Martainn was pretty cool from what little I saw, most of his life having been during my still-AWOL period.
36547, Just Wondering
Posted by Parcimiuss on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I've been away from the game for a couple months, but have been reading the forums and I see that you have been posting on them with regularity.
What is your status in the game? Is Nepenthe active again? If not, are you considering interacting with players with him again? Are you playing some other Imm that interacts with players? If you don't want to answer, I'm perfectly fine with that and I understand, especially the part about some other Imm. I was just thinking of rolling up someone to follow you in some form once I have some more time. Anyways, good to see you back involved in the game, you really are an asset to the game, if for nothing more than keeping people in line on the forums.
36548, I don't want to digress too much from Martainn, but...
Nepenthe, storywise, is still presumed dead.

I'm currently Drokalanatym, though I don't do much in the way of interaction as him these days. He's an incarnation I picked specifically because at the time I didn't want to be involved with running an active cabal or religion. His interactions with mortals were meant to be of a different sort that never really caught on or turned out as I intended overall.

Different aspects of the game appeal to me at different times, and I suspect that before terribly long I'll decide I want to be dealing with a cabal or a religion again. Right now, I'm spending my time on other things.
36491, You were a great goodie.
Posted by Rilsaron on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I find it ironic having interacted with you with previous characters years ago how the difference in player attitudes were then and are now. You were a great goodie, handing me that white worm gear reminds me of how things were back in the day when goodies used to cruise around Forest of Nowhere giving out the silver-gray stuff from High Lord's keep. Believe it or not, a simple act of goodness like that had the two groupies I was with when you showed up in Ysigrath accuse me of knowing you OOC.

Its a shame.

Anyway, good luck with the next, glad to see you're still around.
36496, RE: Well, that was fun.
Posted by Ginharq on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Ryldain! You were Ryldain? Never could have guessed. I was Lekerjey. ;) Posted in my own thread that you were 'age-dying soon too?' and here is your thread shortly after bah. Well luck with next, Martainn was a good char. and I enjoyed it.
36503, RE: Well, that was fun.
Posted by Imperial on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Everyone sems to think you did a pretty good, and I can't say that I saw otherwise. However, there was one thing that you did that just grated on my nerves and I thought you probably should have gotten smacked around for.

You would hide buy the outer and spam "emote disarms you" tryin to get peoples triggers to fire while they were fighting the outer. I thought was was EXTREMELY lame. I don't use rewield triggers myself so it affected me in no way. I just think that is real shady and generally a very bad thing to do. Just my opinion.
36537, He's not a dead man if an Imperial doesn't kick dirt on him!
I never spammed anyone with anything.

If you're going to throw down on someone's battlefield, you'd do well to have a log to back it up. Actually, the best thing to do if someone is actually doing what you accuse me of, is pray about it right then and there.
36553, If I had the log, it would be up here.
Let me put it this way. I would attack the outer to get the codex back (I was in the 30's) and you would pop in and out of hiding at the outer. Now unless there was a hero elf (or wearing a certain robe) tranny there spamming it then my money goes on you. Because if it wasn't you then you saw it happening and you could see the hidden person doing it. Either way you know what I am talking about because you were there. Deny it all you want.
36554, I'm not buying this story.
There would be no reason to spam it if it wasn't working.

Martainn's player may be a lot of things, but unrepentantly stupid isn't one of them.
36560, Don't buy it then.
He was there, and it did happen. I said there was a possibility he wasn't the one doing it. I know his player too, and he likely remembers me as well. When I saw who it was playing him I was quite surprised myself.

All I know is my screen was spammed with "Someone disarms you!" while he was standing there. If it wasn't him then I apologize, but don't deny that it never happened.
36563, I was going to say
Posted by Daurwyn on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
If it was someone in the shadows... you might be blaming the wrong person. It could even have been someone from another cabal.
36565, I just thought of something.
I don't remember if this was the case, but it was entirely possible I was dirt kicked since that damn outer guardian kicks it so much. It was a few months ago so that might be why I thought it was him. I couldn't see who was doing it, but because he had been standing there and someone was coming in and out of the shadows.

Like I said, if it wasn't him I apologize. Still, I would think he would have seen the same thing as me then. Because I even remember telling my roommate about it as it happened.
36562, One more thing.
It could have been working just fine. I was being bashed at the time by someone who's name escapes me. By spamming that "he" was hoping my triggers would lag me out in between bashes. So there was no way for him to know if they were working or not until I was able to flee and get away.
36555, Maybe it was Pico messing with you
Posted by Theerkla on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
God I miss the heart attacks that those random "A sudden pain erupts through your skull" or "You have been summoned" pechos used to cause followed by the relief and mirth of realizing they'd just been spoofed.
36556, RE: If I had the log, it would be up here.
Only thing I denied was spamming bigun. If people don't like others abusing their triggers, then they shouldn't have triggers.

And thanks Nepdragon, I know I've been guilty of some stupid stuff (years and years ago), good to know you noticed I repented.
36558, Most importantly
Posted by Hipsin on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
emoting takes you out of the shadows
so if he was spamming it on you, hiding in the shadows would not stop you from knowing it was him, so it either was that elven transmuter, though I'm not sure emoting doesn't pop them out too, or it didn't happen.
36513, RE: Well, that was fun.
Posted by Zakarius on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
HA! You were Pikel! I loved that guy! Martainn rocked too. Glad I got to run around with you and learn some things. Great char.
36533, RE: Well, that was fun.
Posted by Tanera on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Well... Sucks bigtime that your gone..
and Yeah I remember the names afew of
those chars.. from way back..

Good luck with your next one...
36534, *wave*
Posted by Heas on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It was nice to have you around. I always enjoyed seeing on the who fortress list. I actually owe you my ability to do the root quest. One of your previous incarnates required it for me to enter a cabal.

See you around!
36545, Very nifty character.
Posted by Nimelerion on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I always liked Martainn. I'm surprised at the other characters you mentioned that I know. I hope you are struck with inspiration for an
'Oh this would be such an awesome character to play!' role/character idea. and Good luck when that happens.
Looks like everyone is getting old on me. :) but I expected something like it.

-Nim.
36557, RE: Well, that was fun.
Posted by Alven on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Martainn had a major influence on Alven and even made it into his role. I can't say much more at this moment, but you were certainly memorable.
36564, I doubt you remember me
Posted by Haamrl on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
But I do remember having a good impression of you. I was an imperial thief, and we clashed a few times on the roads now and then. Think that you tended to start laying the hurt on most fights so I ended up running.
36568, RE: Well, that was fun.
Posted by Lightmaged on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
One of my favorite fortressites. Played alongside you with Dralgarth and loves every minute of it. Balls to the walls, fun.

Damn yer old.

Awesome job.
36572, It was good
Posted by Reggie on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
It was good having someone to talk to inquiring after the shadow lurkers! Thanks for all the info, and the helps, and your welcome for what i Did.

Reggie
36577, RE: Well, that was fun.
Posted by Shisi. on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Dangit, Ryldain? That's confusing...I was Gaf (notes how much his post sounds like Ginharq's).

I don't remember you being around all that much until Shisi heroed, then you and I had some pretty good times, like the one immortal memory of the doom vanish. That was such a sexy vanish, and I'll never forget it, though I maintain he was mine anyway :P. Kudos to you for having the balls to do that. One of the characters I missed when I quit, hopefully I'll be back around for your next incarnation though, and hopefully on the same side again.

Kudos,
Shisi
36484, Argh!!!
Posted by Ghearden on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
That hurts. Another solid Maran gone. I knew since I was gone all easter weekend I probably wasn't going to get the opportunity to learn a little more from you. From what I saw, you were solid, and a knowledgable player obviously (underwater areas is where I'm weakest, since I seem to gravitate towards dwarves and I still automatically think they can't travel underwater). Thanks for taking the time to do what you did for me.
36483, I figured this would happen soon
Posted by Valdemar on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I remember fighting with you months and months ago. They were fun fights, and I've had at least 3 other characters since then so I can't really remember much. Too long ago to remember anything else to say.

Good luck