Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subject(AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Vorondel Estelias the Golden Vivimancer, Cardinal of the Golden Sun
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=25489
25489, (AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Vorondel Estelias the Golden Vivimancer, Cardinal of the Golden Sun
Posted by Death_Angel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Thu Mar 18 20:19:22 2004

At 7 o'clock AM, Day of Freedom, 4th of the Month of the Long Shadows
on the Theran calendar Vorondel perished, never to return.

Race:elf
Class:transmuter
Level:51
Alignment:Good
Ethos:Orderly
Cabal:FORTRESS, the Fortress of Light
Hours:893

25551, Safe journies
Posted by Thalric on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I knew this was coming, even so it took me by surprise when it actually did. I liked Vorondel much and you sure had learned to use your skills and spells to the fullest from the little travels/fights we had.
That last dash into the Underdark we did was fun, even if it got a bit too close for comfort ;)

Take care, good luck with the next and I'll see you back in the Fort some day. *tip*

Thalric
25599, RE: Safe journies
Posted by Vorondel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I knew this was coming, even so it took me by surprise when it actually did. I liked Vorondel much and you sure had learned to use your skills and spells to the fullest from the little travels/fights we had.
That last dash into the Underdark we did was fun, even if it got a bit too close for comfort ;)

I was quite surprised as well actually, even though I felt it was only a matter of a few years. But it's time to move on to something else now... (what to roll, that is the question).

I think you are doing a very nice job with Thalric, and I throughly enjoyed our interactions and travels. The Fort is in good hands now, with you and the other Acolytes around ;)

Take care man

Vor
25497, If only we could live a thousand years in real life...
Well then, all good things must come to an end. I had quite a blast with this character and I enjoyed every moment (or.. almost) of his life. I'm the kind of guy who plays one char at a time until age death or for a very long time, and boy, 900 hours is a hell of a long time. In the past I tended to be the silent, shady-RP (read: minimal) type and this was the first character with whom I actually accomplished something.

I.. had no written role whatsoever *lowers his head in shame* yet I did have a role, which I tried to evolve and adapt over time. My main inspiration for the char was Guillaume de Baskerville in "The Name of the Rose" (i.e. played by good old Sean Connery, but the book is actually much better). Faithful, dedicated monk with a taste for the unknown and the forbidden, who approached things with reason and logic. Mix with some cheesy Gandalf-like advice here and there and voila!

Really liked the Transmuter class, especially with the new perks and all that. Sorry Zulg for the somewhat bitchy bug report when Duo was changed, I just felt so majorly screwed :) Transmuters are great for all kinds of stuff, from support to scouting to exploration and also PK, but I did not get to enjoy that part very much because of my peaceful stance and role. I made liberal use of Duo Dimension, it pretty much defines the class for me. Duo + Teleport, rince, repeat. I've found it's a great class to find wands. The buffs and disruptions are all nice and well balanced, IMO. Disrupt Organ is very powerful now, I would even dare to say borderline overpowered but at the same time it isn't all that reliable. When it lands though, it lands hard, and the side effects are pretty sweet (midsection and throat being by far my favorites :). I think I landed two sleeps with DO, once on Zekasiq (sp?), eons ago, and once on Njaal a while ago.

Now on to some brief farewells..

Immortals
---------

Shokai: Thank you so much for giving me this opportunity. An opportunity which, I must say, helped my otherwise mediocre RP-skills immensely ;) Keep on truckin' man.

Rogardian, Obaznuk: Two good old friends of Vorondel who came to rise among the Wise, after which it became somewhat awkward for me to speak with either of you because of my (IC) fear and reverence of the immortals. Over time it became somewhat easier for me to speak with you guys in a more casual fashion, after all, you're both very cool and lively characters.

Sabiene: Thanks for the talks, RP opportunities and all. I really like your views and your general approach to things. One of the few Immortals I felt comfortable with (again, IC).

Arvam: Your pond is quite an enjoyable place to come by, for sure! Thanks much for the interactions and opportunities.

All IMMs: I will just say that from my limited perspective you all do a kickass job. I've no idea how you folks organize but it does seem to run pretty smoothly up there. I will confess that in all those years I've never donated a single dollar to the MUD, and now I feel so terribly cheap I swear I will stop delaying and make it happen very soon ;)

Mortals
-------

I could probably write a hundred names down, but I obviously won't... Best is to use the good ol' "reply me instead if you like" strategy.

All I will say is.. See you in the fields!

--
Vorondel aka Ylare, and countless others
25498, Now you must answer my question, punk!
Posted by Jaedren on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
What was the deal with, "Do you hate me?". Sorry for stealing your girl(nadalia) and I gotta say you did a hell of a job. I always dug hanging around with you, and we always had some good interactions. Elf Leader con is the ####. 900 hours woulda been perfect for me with Jae. Loved every moment of our existence together, and I hope you have it in you to come back to the fort.

Derexal
25535, RE: Now you must answer my question, punk!
Ah! It really was nothing serious, it's just that at the time I found you somewhat distant and I figured it would be interesting to take this opportunity to spark a little rivalry :) Especially considering the little tension because we both loved the same girl and all. But I knew you liked me, and I considered you like a brother. Never, ever did Vorondel think you didn't like him, and I always had the greatest of respect for you.

Farewell Big Strong Avenger!

Vor
25499, Great Job
Posted by Minyar on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Well, we opposed each other in a few incantations. I loved seeing you around honestly as Haaslett and Verisla because i knew that you would be up for a challenge. Kudos on the good work, and the long life. The acolytes will be missing their fearless leader. You always showed, another kudos for that. Anyway, keep trucking and good luck wit hthe next.

Aaron
25536, RE: Great Job
Well, we opposed each other in a few incantations. I loved seeing you around honestly as Haaslett and Verisla because i knew that you would be up for a challenge. Kudos on the good work, and the long life. The acolytes will be missing their fearless leader. You always showed, another kudos for that. Anyway, keep trucking and good luck wit hthe next.

When I said I only play one char at a time, it's not entirely true. I do roll a lowbie warrior or two in the process of playing my main char, but I almost know from the start that they'll be throwaways.. Which brings me to the point, I did interact with Haaslett when playing a dumb fire giant dude at some point, and I remember being thoroughly impressed with the character. Then we clashed as ennemies when I played Vorondel, and I was equally impressed. Fighting a muter as a shaman is an uphill battle, IMO ;)

Peace
25537, Well, now you can add Dryzzel to that list.
Posted by Dryzzel on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
The same thing said for those two, is what I say with Dryzzel. I could always count on you to fight me. I remember that one time you got me at the fortress. It was a good kill. Lots of fun battles.

Aaron aka Haaslett, Verisla, Dryzzel
25500, re:
Posted by Vahletharien on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Here are a few things I thought you might enjoy seeing/keeping for logs:

His actual death*

Vorondel's aging body gives out on him and he dies.
The ghost of Vorondel rises out of his corpse.
Vorondel stops following you.

A trail through the mountains
The peaceful, dignified remains of Vorondel lie here, their final resting place.
(Ghost) Vorondel is here.
Tombil is resting here.
Allisza is resting here.

A note I left after Vorondel passed*

< 40> Thu Mar 18 20:22:44 2004
To : fortress
Subject: A Gentle Passing

Master Vorondel has passed. The Golden Vivimancer. Our Cardinal.

He laid peacefully upon the mountains north of Darsylon, yet far
still from the wickedness beyond. The citizens of Darsylon took
up his body, bringing it forth into the Vale of his forefathers.
A quite remembrance then took place, a circle rimmed with friends
each giving an account of the blessing and honor that it was to
know him. His resting body appeared more blissfully at peace than
any mortal shell I have ever laid my eyes upon.

Let us remember him fondly, and never forget the inspiration he brought to us all.

Death Gecho*
A silver streak is seen above the Fortress of Light, as the soul of Vorondel rises to the Azure Fields.

25540, You're the man.
Thanks a bunch man! You actually saved my body from desecration, because an unnamed scion invoker threatened to do nasty things to my remains right after I died :( (hint: he has a great set and his name starts with a K..)

Seriously though, thanks for everything. You're doing a kickass job, by the way. Perhaps now it's time to roll something and meet you on the battlefield ;)

Vor
25501, I didnt know your char but I have to say
Posted by Xaanix on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
you are one of the few people in the US that i have heard of who read 'The Name of the Rose.' The people i know, 99% have not read it and i think they are missing a lot.
25541, RE: I didnt know your char but I have to say
It's such an awesome book. I dare to say masterpiece. Oh and I'm not american, I'm from Montreal, Canada. I don't know for you english-speaking folks, but the french translation of the book is exceptional :)

See you in the fields
25506, Thats the last of my old friends.
Posted by Lariya on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Wow, you were around since Lari was in like, the lower 30's. You were sort of like a brother to her. We interacted a fair amount, but a lot of the time we were pretty busy running around, or defending. We had some pretty damn good defenses too I think. I can remember a few times thinking for sure we'd lose the Orb, and probably die trying to protect it, but we'd end up sending them running. You kept a level head in combat, and thought real quick and smart about what to do. I knew I could count on you when you were by my side. It's really rare to find a groupmate like that for pk situations. Oh well, good luck with the next.
25542, RE: Thats the last of my old friends.
Ah, my little sister Lariya.. A little sister, who is actually big and kicks MAJOR ass ;) Vorondel had great admiration and affection for you. It was always cool running around with you or just having you around in the fort while we were both busy with duties. That fight when you were made Talon was loads of fun, I'll post it soon perhaps.

Keep up the excellent work you've always been doing,

Vor
25507, good work
Posted by Jhanderin on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I thought that you would take over as Cardinal after I deleted. You did a great job all through your life. When you were still coming up through the ranks when I was a hero you always seemed to have a good head on your shoulders and you roleplayed quite well and then when I was Gondorff ranking up while you were hero I definitely noticed your first rate transmuter skills. Good luck on your next. Oh, and Ylare sure saved our ass a bunch of times as well. :)
25591, RE: good work
Thanks much for the induction and constant encouragements. You made this char possible, and you showed me the ropes :) I had huge respect for you even if sometimes I did not approve the offensive use of Gate :) And Gondorff was a very close friend of Vorondel, we did make a fine team and I always enjoyed your original RP with him. Good work, and thanks again.

Vor
25508, RE: If only we could live a thousand years in real life...
Posted by Kazadan on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Had a lot of respect for your abilities while I was around.
You seemed to keep a lot of the evil folk I ran with on their
toes. Not a whole lot of interaction between us though, but
that's what you get when you got two duo'd 'muters on each
other.

Had the best set I've ever had (and the only good one I've
ever had at that) after I nailed you in the Barovian Keep :P
Too bad it didn't last too long *mutter Odrirg*.

- Kazadan
25592, Heh, bastard ;)
Even if we did not clash often, I really liked it when you were around. You were like my nemesis. Nice kill there in Barovia, you caught me with my pants down :) Thanks for leaving me most of the set! Anyway I'll post the log if I can find it.

See you around Kaz,

Vorondel
25512, RE: If only we could live a thousand years in real life...
Posted by Erenthell on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

Well done Vorondel, excellent job.

Roll up another Maran. :)
25593, Ah, my dear friend Erenthell...
Desipte the limited interactions we had your char had a HUGE impact on Vorondel. I will always remember joining you for an interview with a young maran applicant (I wanted to for learning purposes) and I was thoroughly impressed. You were the first to give me a nice feel of what a true maran is.

I'll see you in the Azure Fields, Captain

Vorondel
25514, I had a lot of respect for this character, very well done nt
Posted by Sastine on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
25517, RE: If only we could live a thousand years in real life...
Posted by Grurk Muouk on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Interacted with you with at least 5 characters. Equally impressive
wether we were fighting, or friends. Well played.

Good luck with the next.

Grurk
25518, damn you finally died, nice job and thanks for helpin me out-nt
Posted by thalit on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
a
25520, RE: If only we could live a thousand years in real life...
Posted by Aemelius on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
You're going to have difficulty moving in and out of rooms with that big fat head now, swelling from all the praise on here. :)

Well deserved praise. Like Jhanderin (from whom I get special pleasure when we agree) I remember you as a young scribe and your move up the ladder. For whatever reason I always knew you were going to be great and I'm now proven correct. I thought you and I got along very well and you played your role with distinction.

Later, with other characters (Correllia, Guardlon, Hrejial) I was always a bit annoyed that you didn't actually do anything to back up the policies you fronted, i.e. I don't know how many times I saw acolytes go into cabals and help raid, and several times I told you, and none of the people were ever really taken to task for it. I remember that one healer who even wrote in his farewell note that he kept doing it and nothing happened. I always wondered why, assuming it was just a character meekness, despite being Cardinal.

Recently I've had more direct (though violent :)) contact with you and as an enemy you are frustrating to say the least! That damn duo. :P Which is exactly how you should be doing it, so please don't think I'm criticizing. I'm not. You're right on it, my man.

Anyway, I always liked Vorondel and I think you made a significant addition to the world of cf for the past nine months. That's no small feat. Well done.

-Mark
25594, RE: If only we could live a thousand years in real life...
Later, with other characters (Correllia, Guardlon, Hrejial) I was always a bit annoyed that you didn't actually do anything to back up the policies you fronted, i.e. I don't know how many times I saw acolytes go into cabals and help raid, and several times I told you, and none of the people were ever really taken to task for it. I remember that one healer who even wrote in his farewell note that he kept doing it and nothing happened. I always wondered why, assuming it was just a character meekness, despite being Cardinal.

Yeah, you're right, I was too indulgent ;) Wrote a couple missives about it but I should have renewed them. I definately could/should have handled things in a more firm way though. Perhaps it's time to roll an imperial character, to get the grip (I never, ever rolled an imperial).

I must thank you for being a wonderful partner in all those (CF) years. What I said of Erenthell equally applies to you, though I did travel with you quite a bit more. You had initiative, you made things happen, it was never boring having you around.

So long Marshall,

Vorondel
25523, You old oaf you
Posted by Jirash on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I don't have much to add to what's been already said, I can only agree with them and say that Vorondel will be missed. He was a pillar to rely on in the fortress and you made a very good Cardinal in my eyes.
I've known you with two incarnations now and have been positively impressed both times, so good luck with the next and come back to the Fortress soon!

Toots
Jirash
25526, RE: If only we could live a thousand years in real life...
Posted by Nadalia on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I've been waiting a long time to say goodbye to you. Well played, I wish things would have turned out differently, but it was harder than heck to catch you. It was always comforting to see V on the who list with the new characters, even if we didn't interact.

Take it easy,
Nads
25597, RE: If only we could live a thousand years in real life...
No longer could poor Vorondel rely on pure reason and logic when Nadalia was around :) I must thank you for everything, and especially for making it possible for me to develop another side of Vorondel. You're such a fine roleplayer, I'm sorry I could not be more present ;(

Goodbye Nads

Vorondel
25547, RE: If only we could live a thousand years in real life...
Posted by Kalidan on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Well, was great to see that you turned out all right in the end. I was there when you were growing up and I seem to recall you making a lot of silly mistakes, but with this guy, I see you certainly know what your doing. Shame you had to die like this, together we could ahve done some fun things! Make another transmuter and come back to the fortress, we have to much left to explore! And thanks for the talks and confidence in me when I wasn't feeling much. I do think I am in the right spot after all, just wasn't sure.

Kalidan
25549, Well done, many thanks, for many things, and characters...
Posted by Cassman on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
-Cassman-
25605, Great, GREAT character!
Posted by Tyohleib on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I really loved the interactions. Glad you lasted so long. I'm really glad that you were apart of Tyohleib's life and my cf'ing experiance. Great job and again, thanks. :+

Ryan.
25496, Wait wait you have to rescue my next too!! -j/k
Posted by Bajula on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Thanks for so much from so many angles with so many characters.
:) Well okay maybe only a handfull, but it seems like more.
It was a choice between pages of thanks or this.
bad ass character - 'nuf said.

25495, RE: (AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Vorondel Estelias the Golden Vivimancer, Cardinal of the Golden Sun
Posted by CaptainAverage on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Sheesh! You should get a special medal for that... like, gold in special olympics or something.

Interacted with you as a few characters, I think I remember way back when when I saw you as training in the forest of nowhere. Been some time since that, though. What are you gonna do now? Retire? That would probably be good. You're a champ, buckaroo!

Cynical, Sarcastic, But Only Fashionably Rude,
Me

(On serious note... wow. Good job.)
25492, Woof...
Posted by Els on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
We go back a long time, there. Countless have been the times that you were there to help out.. dude, you were around a long time .. I interacted with you with like 4 or 5 characters .. Oh well.. You'll get nothing but flattery from everyone, so I will stop already ;).. I hope to see you around in the Fortress.. you were quite the force indeed.. Good luck with your next one

Elstratuviel
25491, RE: (AGE DEATH) [FORTRESS] Vorondel Estelias the Golden Vivimancer, Cardinal of the Golden Sun
Posted by Lardovian on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Welcome to the fold, Vorondel. It's not everyday you see an elf age-dying. Well played and good luck with the next one. *tip*

Lardovian Farin'Guleth, old elfie.