Go back to previous topic
Forum Name The Battlefield
Topic subjectFWIW
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=4&topic_id=136280&mesg_id=136296
136296, FWIW
Posted by Twist on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

>240 is not a magical number. People used that number because
>that is when Twist handed in the quest for Tavlin (*), but we
>got that wrong too because base chance is not when you hand it
>in but when you accept the quest.
>
>* and obviously with access to the code behind the mummy quest
>Twist would maximise his chances

Just as an FYI, I don't have access to the code. I can ask questions of coders as to how things work, but I try to only do that when I'm wondering about game balance type things - not for how the mummy quest works. If I were to ask about something like the mummy quest, it would be in a case like this, where a character seems like they should have had a higher base chance and didn't.

As an example, I've tried 3 times to Lich and failed all 3 times.

I am, however, wondering about your base chance. It seems to me at one point that I did ask about base chances (wayyy back in the day) and for some reason I feel like someone told me a low number was better. Like having a base chance of 20 meant 80% chance of success. I'm probably remembering completely wrong, though.

I will tell you this - if I knew whether 20 was good or bad (you're probably right that it is bad, I just have that nagging memory) I would absolutely tell you.

I'll also say this - if 20 is bad, and I knew WHY your char had a 20 chance, I'd absolutely tell you. Some guesses as to what might factor in that you haven't mentioned:
1. PKW v. Good
2. PK Deaths
3. ImmXP

As for Tavlin - If you look at my spells list, I didn't perfect each spell. Not even each "necro-specific" spell. You can see by looking at my timeline and leveling history that I hit 47 at 210 hours and then 20 hours later began the quest at 230. I'm trying to remember, but I think I probably hit a pkwin threshhold at 41 and once I was past that did some powerleveling to 47. Then I may have done some pking at that level to hit another pkwin threshhold (back when pkwins at certain levels mattered for edgepoints).

However, I seem to recall getting absolutely wrecked for about a week straight by Fort when I was at level 47, so I probably said "OK screw this I'm going for mummy because 47 human necro is no fun at all."

From the PBF:
May 14, 2011|Lv 47|Domain of Eternal Night|vs 2: Werthius (71%, divine power), Gurzgred (28%)
May 14, 2011|Lv 47|Fortress of Light|vs 2: Dakaeh (47%, crush), Werthius (52%)
May 14, 2011|Lv 47|Sands of Sorrow|vs 1: Forodaugh (100%, searing light)
May 15, 2011|Lv 47|The Aryth Ocean|vs 1: Gryilious (100%, slash)
May 17, 2011|Lv 47|Sands of Sorrow|vs 1: Vonzamir (100%, bite)
May 19, 2011|Lv 47|Domain of Eternal Night|vs 3: Bachguer (27%, beating), Nevaelle (7%), Gurzgred (64%)

Unfortunately the PKWins section of the PBF is cut off beyond level 43 for Tavlin, but I'm pretty sure during that week I had very few pkwins.

So - sorry for making anyone think 240 (or 230, when I began) was a magic number. Maybe it is, but I chose it because I was tired of getting schooled at 47.