Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Announcements
Topic subjectThe problem with limited availability races
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=3&topic_id=2529&mesg_id=2550
2550, The problem with limited availability races
Posted by RandomThinker on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
This sounds awesome. I both like having frost giants as a PC race AND having seasonal races. Seeing this announcement really made me want to come back from my 6 month plus hiatus. Then I realized, "oh ####, it's like minotaurs." I had a minotaur once, years ago. Got it through pure luck and it ended up being a kinda crappy character because I wasn't planning on a minotaur when I originally went to roll and didn't have a role in mind. I just had to take it because who knows when I would get that chance again.

Now with frost giants that's compounded by the fact that I only have a few months to snag one. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the only way to know if a frost giant slot is open is to happen to roll up a character at the right time? I understand the additional mystique/cool factor added by having them limited, but I think most people would trade that for a chance to actually play one.

Yes, this would likely result in a huge influx of the new race every time one was revealed, but for one I think that fits with the "new race entering Thera" theme, and two I think it would even out quickly. If minotaurs were suddenly unlimited now, there might be a lot of minotaurs for a week, but I don't think much longer.

At the very least, could we implement some kind of way to know if a slot is open besides trying to roll one? Maybe via CF Twitter/Facebook or some such thing?

At best... could we consider a different approach here?

Please don't take this as a complaint. I appreciate all the staff's hard work. I'd just like a better shot at experiencing it.