Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Events & Contests
Topic subjectRE: I'd like to add to this.
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=25&topic_id=433&mesg_id=758
758, RE: I'd like to add to this.
Posted by Valguarnera on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
Example: I've heard svirfs dual-wielding axes get a flourintine-like affect to their tanking. Is this true? If so, why isn't it in the helpfiles?

This is where you should ask yourself: "Which is more likely?"

1) Someone took the time to code special exemptions for svirfs wielding two axes for some reason, even though svirfs and axes are never mentioned anywhere in the game as being related, and it doesn't make intuitive sense that a short race would have exceptional affinity for long, unbalanced weapons, or that axes should defend especially well against most anything.
2) The person with this information is talking out their ass.

We're not going to make infinitely-long helpfiles which explains every conceivable interaction within the game. Several reasons there:

1) It encourages anal-retentiveness that we're not especially interested in encouraging. (Qaledus's "Lighten up, Francis." theory.)
2) It takes a lot of time to create and maintain such detailed helpfiles, which would have to come from the relatively small number of people with full code access, who frankly have other things to do.
3) Those helpfiles would be so huge that people would lose the important stuff amid the sea of arcane nanodetails.
4) It removes the benefits of paying attention while you play.
5) Why would your character know everything about everything from day 1? Helpfiles represent common knowledge that most any adventurer would likely have some exposure to.

I guess I just wish there was less vague and more skill x gives +9 damroll.
If svirfs had special affinity for axes, a svirf would logically know this, so it would go in a helpfile. However, it would go in at that level of detail, not "Svirfs are (16.3 +/- 2.0)% more likely to parry a dagger from a hasted wombat when dual-wielding axes."

valguarnera@carrionfields.com