Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Events & Contests
Topic subjectRE: Depends on what you consider to be the whole story
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=25&topic_id=433&mesg_id=572
572, RE: Depends on what you consider to be the whole story
Posted by nepenthe on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM

>I could be mistaken, but I don't remember Andaren having any
>issues with cheating.

Yeah, I don't know if this is something you would've been in the loop on at the time. I'll fill a bit more in.

Scarabaeus' original plan for conjurers was to do a limited test before they were opened for everyone. The thought was that as a class it did a lot of things that were unlike anything else in the game and, no matter how well we tried to test things as imms, there'd be some bugs and surprises. We were going to pick 6 reasonably veteran players, each of which would be set up with a level 1 conjurer. (2 good, 2 neutral, 2 evil, due to the way the class plays.)

Andaren told a player about this ahead of time, who presumably told other people. We dropped the hammer on him.

In retrospect, I regret the way we handled that to some degree, or maybe I regret the way we've handled a lot of things since. A lot of people since have leaked much bigger things or more consistently than he did, including no small number of people who self-righteously condemned Andaren for what he did.