Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Events & Contests
Topic subjectSlight addition to detect artifact?
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=25&topic_id=1824&mesg_id=2312
2312, Slight addition to detect artifact?
Posted by Habbs on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I think it would be very interesting if there was a way that detect artifact could give you tips at times, as if you playing the "you're getting warmer" type of kids game.

Maybe once you get detect artifact to a certain %, and then on a really long random timer it will echo a message to you. The first time it ever does it, maybe it will say something like "You have a vague sense of a powerful artifact that is attuned to you, but it is very far off." Then, a really good time later, maybe 60+ hours (or hell, 600+ hours...anything would help) and then on a random chance, you might get another message that says "You sense a powerful artifact that you have felt before, but it is even more distant than before."

With this, maybe the first time you were in voralian, and the second time you were in udgaard, so that would tell you that you need to try to start looking more in the opposite direction from Voralian, and explore areas not around Udgaard at the time.

I'm not sure if there is any type of a function that can guage distance already...maybe something that can tell how many rooms away from the general area your wand could be found if going to it from the skies above Thera?

It wouldn't be a hint that would give things away like you've stated you don't want, just something that can help narrow the focus or areas to try to press into more exploring. Maybe have the three differnet types all tied to the same timer...so it compares where you were when it last fired to where you are now, and then if you are closer now than then to each type and give a separate message for each (assuming you can detect all three types already).

Right now I struggle once I have checked all the places I know of, and keep going back to areas that I don't know the specifics on, but have a hunch. It would be nice of occationally I could get a little tap on the shoulder that tells me that I'm not even close so I will know it is time to pack it up and start digging into a new area.