Go back to previous topic
Forum Name Events & Contests
Topic subjectMy Idea: Making Mages Viable.
Topic URLhttps://forums.carrionfields.com/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=25&topic_id=1824&mesg_id=2101
2101, My Idea: Making Mages Viable.
Posted by Iza on Wed 31-Dec-69 07:00 PM
I haven't been around very much for the last couple of months but i came back to look around the forums and noticed this, so i'm giving it another shot.

My idea is to make mages viable without the absolute need to go out and explore every nook and cranny. In order to do this i propose a new spell, lets call it 'magical protection' for now.

Magical Protection.

-It is granted to all mage classes at level 35.

-At level 35 it will RANDOMLY grant either aura, shield or barrier.

-No matter what protection spell the player recieves it only last 8 hours. However it is cast at the characters level. (ex. lvl 51 mage might get a level 51 aura which only last 8 hours)

-The spell would have a varied cooldown timer of 12-16 hours.

-At level 40, there would be a 20% chance to recieve 2 protection spells.

-At level 45, it would be 60-70% chance to recieve 2 protection spells (Sorry APs)

-At level 50, you would get 90% chance with an addition small chance to get all three spells cast.

-The spell would not cast over or be influenced by exsisting protective spells. In short if you already have aura cast on you at level 51, the spell might still give you aura and barrier. The barrier would go through but the aura would not since you already have it on you.

-You can cast additional protective spells after using this spell. For example, if you cast 'magical protection' and get aura and shield, you can still use another limited/sleek source to get barrier aswell.

The pros and cons on giving mages castable a/b/s have been discussed before. I know the idea of giving mages 'shield' with a significant delay timer was a possibility in this thread but even that doesn't quite cut it. All it does is mostly cheapen 'shield' from limited/sleek sources slightly without relieving the major tediums. Its a varied cooldown timer so its makes it a bit tougher for timed hit and run tactics but at the same time not impossible.

In short, having to explore thera over and over again just to be able to survive, whether it be twice or even once is just not fun. To be honest, if anything it should be a castable barrier putting mages on par with assassins and to a lesser extend those with sanctuary. ( This by the way would have been my original suggestion) :)

Again the hope behind the idea is that it allows players to play mages without the need for exploration. A player running around at hero with 2 protective spells allows them to compete, they would not be the strongest out there but definately have some fun without any tedium or fustration involved. At the same time, players who SETTLES for this would be seeing 2 protective spells most of the time, which fits the IMMs wish of not having everyone running around with A/B/S all the time. That said having once had a mage with A/B/S practically on a stick, i still got my ass kicked and ragers would still kill me easily, you still need skills to win and to seal kills.

The ones looking for a challenge still have the incentive to go out and search for limited/sleek A/B/S. The system is random in the protections you get and there is a significant and random cooldown. However at the same time the system allows some relief from the tedium of constantly collecting limited/sleek. This makes collecting that sleek black from that explore area with your group of friends a little more tempting since you know it might last you a bit longer. This system basically still makes use of the hard work put into the current system however it also makes it not as 'nessisary' to go through as it is currently.

All that said, i'd like to 'Thank you for Listening'. While i might not want to come back and play a mage (i'm mean seriouly, sleeks in area explore? Bleh!), the fact that you take the time to listen to your player base makes me want to come back and play something at least. :) Again thanks for your time, it is appreciated.