Go back FAQ CF Website
Top General Discussions Events & Contests Post a message
Show all folders

Original Message
RE: Tricky question this.
Thank you for opening this up to the playerbase. This should hopefully make people realise how tough it is to think of a good alternative that hits the 'middle ground' of both sides.

Please note that I am not a hugely knowledgeable mage player, but I do consider myself above average exploration-wise. I do know 20(ish) locations and have many, many more I would check as hunches.

A few ideas I will toss out. Please note, these are only raw suggestions that others might be able to refine or modify to fit CF's balance:

- Create an new skill/spell (Scholar's Ward?): A short duration, lesser extent damage reduction that can give people a little boost to their survivability for a short time. It would probably need a cooldown timer on it. I would tie this into the 'exploration skills' pathway. Ranked higher than Legendary awareness and Mage only. Available at level 45-hero. Incompatible with ABS/prot+sanc of any kind but not stoneskin. This is probably my favourite solution.

- Create an edge for detect artifact (Archmage's sagacity?/Sagacious researcher): Could be damage reduction (as above) or a 'hint' of some kind. I'm not sure how hard it would be to do but perhaps a toggle could be set up: black/amber/sienna to give the chance of a 'hotter/colder' echo upon entering an area. It would not be 100% (probably quite low >50%) and affected by the veil. The edge would be very expensive.

These are my two suggestions*. Feel free to build on or use anything within or rip them to shreds. I just want to take a brief moment to post a few other thoughts below on some of the other aspects and suggestions.

Two more things might help people be less inclined to have a 'mongoose is Bull****!' moment with regard to the new system:

- Remove really tricky to obtain ABS: I don't know how many locations are (deep) within area explores or on NPCs that cannot be solo'd at hero. I would start any changes by removing these if they are indeed present. That way people will know: 'Okay so I can't find my ABS but at least I don't need a three man group to find it. I guess I'll look harder.' I'm not asking for less locations, just make all locations possible to reach for all mage combos (at hero) all the time.

- Make detect artifact work independently of the veil (if possible.)

These two things might not necessarily give players their wands. But would probably make them feel slightly more in control. Something like a placebo.

Thoughts on some other suggestions:

- The 'new set' ABS edges: Okay I guess depending on the mechanics, and this might work for some. If it gives a second set of locations in addition to the first then I am all for it. If it resets the first set of locations to a second I would not be inclined to take them though. If I have scoured Thera for my wands to no avail I'm not going to want to do so a second/third/fourth/fifth time with the edges. I'd be more inclined to roll up a new mage. The character would have to be something pretty special for me to keep it going for hours more exploration.

- Give mages Aura/shield: I don't like this idea. I do enjoy the exploration/knowledge aspect of the mage class.

As an aside, Imm given quests and static NPC quests for locations are out of the question too IMO. Imm given opens up a whole new set of imm responsibilities and provides more ammunition for citing immspiracy or favouritism. Static quests are too openly abused by OOC means.

*Disclaimer: I have not read posts on the rest of this thread. If it looks like I'm ripping someone else off or repeating, I apologise.

Your message
Message format Check here if you want to format your message in plain text. Use for posting code snipets.
Name
Anonymously Post As
Subject
HTML use enabled

Smilies option ON
Smilies lookup table

Check if you DO NOT wish to use emotion icons in your message