Go back FAQ CF Website
Top General Discussions Events & Contests Post a message
Show all folders

Original Message
RE: my idea:
>I'll be honest, when people say put something in the Tower of
>Sorcery, I just assume we may as well put it in Galadon.
>There is no risk, no difficulty at all with that.

Different kind of risk. The risk being that it's a fairly well-known place where thieves and assassins can hide.

>So it enables a second system based on gathering coin instead
>of exploring areas (which I'd argue, gathering coin is really
>easy).

Regardless of how easy or hard gathering coin is, you'd set the wand costs such that:

"effort of gathering AMBER-PRICE" = "slightly more than the effort of killing current-system AMBER-MOB".

The up-side to buying your wand is that you don't have to pay the up-front cost of finding the wand-mob. The down-side is that it's going to cost you more time/effort "per wand" to buy one than it would cost you to kill the wand-mob, if you knew where it was.

>How exactly does this encourage character longevity?

Older character -> higher haggle percentage -> cheaper wands.

>Honestly I think that if these things were going to be for
>sale, it wouldn't be all of them, and the prices would be
>fairly prohibitive.

That's the way it is now, afaik. I think certain sleek wands are for sale in the HTOS for prohibitive prices. Nobody buys them because, if one DOES know a large set of potential of sleek locations, it's quicker to pay the large "up front" cost of checking them all, then have a lower per-wand cost for the rest of the character's life.

>I think a new player who struggles
>searching through areas is going to have the same troubles
>gathering enough coins.

My thinking was that "gold gathering" is a skill most players have to some degree or another. "Knowing a bunch of wand locations" is something only serial mage players have.

>I agree that allowing bartering for wands is going to
>encourage more looting. I'm curious what your definition of
>"powerful magic item" is.

It would depend. Maybe based it on the item level and/or item limit? Have it take more rare/high-level items to get barrier, compared to aura/shield?

Your message
Message format Check here if you want to format your message in plain text. Use for posting code snipets.
Name
Anonymously Post As
Subject
HTML use enabled

Smilies option ON
Smilies lookup table

Check if you DO NOT wish to use emotion icons in your message